think im growing up?????

-
The 'first' registration (in TX at least) includes sales tax @6.25 percent. That's the only big one. Include the tax in as part of purchase and make calculations from there. Assuming 20 mpg savings @ $2.00/gal, you need to drive 2000 miles per month to break even (provided my math hasn't had too much to drink). All this is out the window when you figure in maintenance, insurance, reliability, comfort.... and the savings once the car is paid for...

Just about every state i have lived in the new purchase car registration is hundreds of dollars. Most of the time dealers build it into the loan so the buyer is not woke up before the sale is final. Buying a new car based on projected mileage is crazy thinking.

of course the first registration is expensive because you have sales tax. after that here in jersey its like $46 for a car per year.

i think its more than just projected mpg. think its about that,safety and reliability. to me its a smart move. plus its a used car so he saved that drive it off the lot depreciation another smart move..

i still have the 67 big block dart so when i do start feeling too responsible i can take her out and destroy the ozone and shred some tires.

I did alot of thinking about the purchase prior to signing off on it. I will save enough money in gas each month that the car will basically pay for itself.

Did the same thing in my mid 20's.
Traded my factory 440 extended cab 3/4 truck off for a slightly used 94 Dakota in 1996.
The power wagon got 4 mpg, the Dakota got 18.
The difference in gas covered the truck payment and the insurance.
Drove the Dakota to around the 100k on miles and the neighbor bought if off of me for his kid to drive to college for 1/2 what I paid for the truck.

I'm on board with you. I enjoy driving the old cars, but 12-14mpg can get old. . I sell Real estate, so driving 2,000 miles a month is common.. My main new Vehicle is a 2012 ram 3500 Cummins. at 14 city and hi fuel costs, I jumped at my good friends one owner 2001 Neon. Mint condition, 28-30 city. I paid 2800.00 for it, and 39.00 a year for plates, 40 bucks a month for Insurance. None of my clients care, they think it is Interesting to see an old guy drive a Neon. I love the little beast. now, I may put in 10 gallons instead of 33. I really only haul customers around about 10% of the time. I still love the ram, but I use it to haul really snooty clients, or my car trailer. Growing up isn't so bad, just be the kid on your off time.

Hate to be the naysayer, but 50 miles a day at 12 mpg at 3 bucks a gallon is about $12.50 a day. 50 miles a day at 36 mpg still at 3 bucks a gallon is about $4.17. At $8.33 a day fuel savings, commuting 25 days a month, you save $208.25. Factor in car payment, higher insurance premium if the car is not paid off, and the lack of cargo capacity, and I think "growing up" sucks. Wish you were local. I'd be talking to the dealer that got your Dakota.

Hate to be the naysayer, but 50 miles a day at 12 mpg at 3 bucks a gallon is about $12.50 a day. 50 miles a day at 36 mpg still at 3 bucks a gallon is about $4.17. At $8.33 a day fuel savings, commuting 25 days a month, you save $208.25. Factor in car payment, higher insurance premium if the car is not paid off, and the lack of cargo capacity, and I think "growing up" sucks. Wish you were local. I'd be talking to the dealer that got your Dakota.

Ever gone grocery shopping with your lady when it's raining outside, in a short cab? How bout put a car seat in one. How bout handed your lady the keys to truck with over 200k on the clock and not worried about the phone call from the side of the road? Trust me I loved that truck but it was for selfish reasons. My payment by the way us only $191 a month. My insurance went up $58 bucks a month and if I hit or get hit by a big heavy SUV I'm gonna live to buy another foreign econo box.

Just about every state i have lived in the new purchase car registration is hundreds of dollars. Most of the time dealers build it into the loan so the buyer is not woke up before the sale is final. Buying a new car based on projected mileage is crazy thinking.

In Maryland, even the vanity plate registration on my antique Corvette is only $125 per year. Besides that, It's a damn good thing I don't live in your state, As I have 6 vehicles with Md registration on them. They definitely got a BUZZ in Colorado. LOL

think im growing up?????....... HELL YES

In Florida you pay Sales tax(6%) and a yearly registration($45)

Bottom line, which one are you going to walk away from in a serious accident? As far as damage goes the big truck is almost always going to win as long as it dosn't roll. The newer "economy car" is going to be much safer on average. Seatbelts, airbags and crumple zones save lives. If you dont believe it check out'

Whats your life worth per mile ? Whats it worth to your family?

I'll take the "new" commuter any day.

See for yourselves.......

younggun2.0
1997 Dodge Dakota Regular cab pickup
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/dodge/dakota-regular-cab-pickup/1997

2012 Nissan Sentra
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/nissan/sentra/2012

I recently totaled my Honda Civic
2008 Honda Civic 2-door coupe
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/civic-2-door-coupe/2008

And I repplaced it with a Honda Accord
2013 Honda Accord 2-door coupe
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/honda/accord-2-door-coupe/2013

How does you ride stack up ?????

Ever gone grocery shopping with your lady when it's raining outside, in a short cab? How bout put a car seat in one. How bout handed your lady the keys to truck with over 200k on the clock and not worried about the phone call from the side of the road? Trust me I loved that truck but it was for selfish reasons. My payment by the way us only $191 a month. My insurance went up $58 bucks a month and if I hit or get hit by a big heavy SUV I'm gonna live to buy another foreign econo box.
i have

I guess I'm still young and dumb. I had a 70 mile a day commute and sold my v6 ranger and got a mustang gt.

I tried to grow up once. Then I said screw that and got a fun car!

Put that money you save into your dart!

well then i take it you understand why i opted for a newer,safer,more dependable and economical vehicle.

not really it worked fine for me mine was a 3.9 tho . so i got 25 mpg when i didnt have my foot in it . needed to go shopping in the rain put the camper shell on . kiddo fit just fine . Was really happy with it never let me down . sold it when the trans started slipping . i would have anuther one in a hart beat if i found a good one

Attachments

• IMG_1511.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 27631570417_large.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 37
-
Back