Think it can be saved?

-

Tooljunkie

King of cobble/master of the broken bolt
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
so in the quest for a rear end for the 65 Barracuda, i recovered my old Dart and a 74 Duster. Both back ends dragged up onto trailer, this is the first one im trying to get to roll,not a pretty sight i must say. Thinking if i can get it apart, housing may be saved. Once i clean carrier i will know more. Disappionting to say the least.

Heres what i have, suspect other one is identical
IMG_3016.JPG

Crown and pinion (of my choice) found a carrier in the trunk,had to work at getting it open.
Rest gets a good blasting,scrubbing and i dont see why it wouldnt work.
Bearing kit if course. No worse than cleaning up a kaboomed rear end.

Last edited:
It is junk. The heavy corrosion and pitting on the gearset and spider gears will lead to a noisy rear end, rapid wear and early failure of the gears. If you are hard on it a broken tooth will originate at corrosion pitting.

Not to mention all bearings be junk.

Dont waste your time and money......

I plan on replacing gears,spiders and bearings. Finding something that will work in the cuda in these parts is scarce. So will work with it as long as axle splines arent pitted.

You will be surprised how clean the gears will come when they have been bead blasted.

Will get beads for my blast cabinet,i know the gears are hard, and it does take a lot to pit them. Just have to get cross pin out, it moves, just the wrong way. Douse it with evapo-rust and rattle housing a little with air hammer,maybe pin will move. Some whallops on axle flanges should jolt pin too.

Also, this will be a 318 4 bbl auto and dual exhaust. Nothing spectacular.mostly driving 5 miles to town And back,fancy parts hauler. I have an auto repair business i run from home.time i had something worth driving.

Thank you RRR, the bead blasting is a good plan,i shouldnt be using silica in the cabinet anyways. Will use it outside with my portable to get rid of it.

I've saved some stuff I "knew" for sure was gone. Surprised myself a good bit. It's worth a shot. If it doesn't work, you ain't out much. If it does work, look what you saved.

Well i got the 2 cars for 300, if i can salvage the diffs i will be happy. Dart is a sure grip,i think the water will have taken its toll on that one. But im sure i can source the needed bits.

Well i got the 2 cars for 300, if i can salvage the diffs i will be happy. Dart is a sure grip,i think the water will have taken its toll on that one. But im sure i can source the needed bits.

I never count anything out until the bitter end. LOL

If you replace the ring n' pinion, and bearings, I bet it'll run.

Look at Weird Al's career.....

Well, got a little further into it,looking like a lawn ornament. Got one axle out,its toast. Funny that splines are perfect, but bearing and seal area is garbage. Could turn it down and build it up /machine it back to size but it wont last. And a catastrophic failure would be next. Doubt the barracuda would break it. May fix it until i find axles. Guess i have to crack the dart one open next.
They were side by side,so i may be just wasting my time.

So i have been trekking around the world wide web,no luck locating axles. Seems the 8-1/4 ring gear 27 spline 27-3/4 long with 4-1/2 bolt pattern are no longer in captivity
Searching canuckistanian websites to no avail. Why does something so simple have to be so difficult?

So, guess i need to start trolling the back country, there is nothing available for 8-1/4 axles whatsoever. Or maybe machine axle to accept the 8-3/4" axle bearing and open the housing to match the bearing od. Machinist buddy has a line boring machine that should work nicely.

So, guess i need to start trolling the back country, there is nothing available for 8-1/4 axles whatsoever. Or maybe machine axle to accept the 8-3/4" axle bearing and open the housing to match the bearing od. Machinist buddy has a line boring machine that should work nicely.

I take it you know about the axle saver kits for the 8 1/4.
Are they too bad for those?

The axle saver re-locates bearing to an area that hasnt brinelled from a failing bearing. This is pitting across the whole finished surface.

So, searching for axles and info here on the forum i saw Dutchman mentioned here and there. Just went on website, 270 for a pair of stock axles and 100 shipping. Works out to 450ish canadian loonies. Dont know if its out of line or not.thoughts?

So, searching for axles and info here on the forum i saw Dutchman mentioned here and there. Just went on website, 270 for a pair of stock axles and 100 shipping. Works out to 450ish canadian loonies. Dont know if its out of line or not.thoughts?
I would suspect that if you look you will find a complete rear end assembly for less...... this is an 8 1/4 right?

-
Back