Thinking about a Mopar

-

Enjay

Reaction score
Greetings, A body fans. A bit of history . . . I worked at a small town Iowa dealership when I was fresh out of high school in 1969 & 1970 as the handy kid around the shop. Could I have been there at a better time?! The owner had a huge emphasis on the performance cars. It was truly a special time in my life.

I have suffered from commitment problems with cars as evidenced even then by having bought new a 1969 Dart 340 and two new 1970 Road Runners in that time span. (Yes, baffling, isn't it?) The dealership's huge commitment to muscle brought in a 1969 440 GTS (1 of 50?) and four 1969 440 6-pack Super Bees during that time which illustrates what I was in the midst of. I was allowed to function as a sales person - keep in mind this was a town of 3,500 - when appropriate. My two sales were a Challenger RT and a Charger RT, both new 1970 cars. I'm still proud of my sales resume!

Now, I am considering the purchase of a '70 Duster 340, 4 speed. Might you give me tips for what I should be looking for to authenicate it and to check for issues?

Enjay...Welcome to this bunch of fanatics.
I know what you mean about working at a dealership back then. I worked for one in Cincinnati from 1970 thru 74. It was a small mom and pop one that had a 2 car showroom and specialized in cars for the 'older' generation. You know, Valiants, Furys and Belvederes. Every one in a while a Duster would show up, either a stripper or a fully loaded one. They were considered 'sporty' cars. And one with a 318 was a hot rod. Of course the man that ran the body shop had a 68 Hemi Dart.

Well, I was way underfunded so did not get the Duster 340 bought on Friday. It was at the Ritchie Bros. auction north of Denver along with a few hundred pieces of heavy equipment.

It showed 69K miles. Seemed to be a pretty solid original with bucket seats, 4-speed, Ralley wheels. The repaint was not perfect but certainly nice enough. Nothing spectacular, just a real car that had been kept pretty well.

It went for $13K to, as they say, the highest bidder.

Enjay, welcome to the best Mopar site on the net! You'll find what you're looking for right here without the pressures and tension of a classic car auction. Make yourself at home and the right deal will find you.

It's great to have ya here with us!

Welcome aboard! I agree with Cudachick. Just look around and you'll find something here.

Welcome! Hope you find the right car. What town in Iowa? I used to walk or ride my bike past the dealership in Storm Lake each day to and from school in 69 and 70. He was pretty committed to performance cars ... saw my first 68 Barracuda with a Hemi at that dealership. Ah, memories....

Welcome to FABO. I love to hear those "back in the day" stories. I'm from Waterloo. toolmanmike

-
Back