Thinking about a turbo slant...

-
Thanks Dave! I may pick your brain if this gets closer..

No prob.

I've been through every square inch of my brother's 7MGTE Supra, so I'm very familiar with boosted I6 engines, as well as that R154 trans.

Another thing that occurred to me, is that those cars have a narrow band o2 sensor, at the turbo elbow. If you used the turbo elbow from that car, you could leave a stock o2 in it for monitoring AFR on the fly with a small readout. You could even make it look oldschool and use a simple, low volt meter.

I always thought it would be slick to run a boosted carb with a set of needle gauges that monitored oil temp, oil press, boost and air:fuel ratio.

I was considering doing a rear mount twin turbo in my Charger, when I was going to put a 360 in it. I think it would be awesome to make an airbox that looked like an old, day two or Mr. Norm's kind of deal. Keep it all vintage looking and all mechanical.

Those Toyota CT26 turbos are good units. They run about $200 rebuilt with stock impeller blades, which would get you where you wanted to be. They also have a fitting on them for antifreeze, so you would need to run a hard line from it to your system, somewhere. Easy plumbing.

The best way to go about a turbo conversion, IMO, would be to mill the head and block with a stone that has at least an RMS (reflective mirror surface) capability of 60RMS min and use a cometic head gasket, with ARP standard strength studs.

Torque plate hone the cylinders and gap the rings at .030"

As long as you balanced it well and used an intercooler, you could get away with cast, 8:1 pistons on about 12psi. That would give any stock 340 car a hard time. My brother's car is relatively stock with a few junkard mods, like that shimmed wastegate. It weighs 3750, It gets about 26mpg on premium and hits the traps up at Bandimere Speedway (5800ft) at 14.15 @ 104mph. Once that car hits the 1000ft, it is GONE.

Well, the thing is, I have ZERO help. With my son moved across the country and not many friends close by, the pace at which I have to do things means I will never get it done.

I have to get the Coronet rolling to get it out from in front of the shop so I can get my Dart out and the rat truck in. If I had even the simplest help, it would be so much easier. It's just depressing. I am afraid it will end up being nothing more than a dream. But I am gonna keep on pluggin. I guess.

Well, the thing is, I have ZERO help. With my son moved across the country and not many friends close by, the pace at which I have to do things means I will never get it done. I have to get the Coronet rolling to get it out from in front of the shop so I can get my Dart out and the rat truck in. If I had even the simplest help, it would be so much easier. It's just depressing. I am afraid it will end up being nothing more than a dream. But I am gonna keep on pluggin. I guess.
As long as your picking away at it where you can, it will get done.

Well, the thing is, I have ZERO help. With my son moved across the country and not many friends close by, the pace at which I have to do things means I will never get it done.

I have to get the Coronet rolling to get it out from in front of the shop so I can get my Dart out and the rat truck in. If I had even the simplest help, it would be so much easier. It's just depressing. I am afraid it will end up being nothing more than a dream. But, I am going to keep on pluggin' I guess

Bill Responded:
Calvin Coolidge said...
“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

Good advice!!!

We have been working on this '64 Valiant (turbo'd) for FOUR YEARS and it has yet to make its maiden voyage down the drag strip.

It is ready to race as it sits, but bad weather has us stymied... just another in the long list of delays, put-off test runs, and blind alleys we have gone down in a time-consuming variety of dashed hopes and "there's always tomorrow" scenarios that have kept us from the joy (???) of seeing this creation of ours on some clocks, so we can get a handle on where we are at with it...

It FEELS like it runs well, but cars can lie to you. If I have learned anything in my 75 years, I have learned that.

But, perseverance will ultimately pay off and we'll have a time slip in our hand.

It's hard, sometimes, to realize that setting a long-term goal can be a good thing, but every little thing you do gets you closer... and, time can be your friend.

Patience, my man... patience!:cheers:

Accept my facebook friend request, dork.

-
Back