Thinking about a turbo slant...

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Since no one wants to buy my Dart, I have thought of maybe doing a mild turbo build. 170, A230 3 speed and 8 3/4 with 3.55 gears. If I decide to do it, it will be a long term build, but I have a few preliminary questions.

What is "boost reference" and how is it achieved? I am just assuming it has to do with the relationship to the fuel system in regards to boost. Please correct me if I am wrong.

What size turbo would be good? I want quick spool up, but I am not looking for anything more than more pep. Maybe enough power to match say a mild 318. Just something different and fun to drive.

Blow through or draw through? I know the difference, but which is better and why? Which is more cost effective? Which is easier to tune?

Thank you drive through.

I'm always drawn to this idea as well. I'm amazed by what members here have done turning the lowly slant into a V8 killer.
I'm sure someone named Bill will chime in soon.
:happy1:

blow thru is easier as you dont have the lag of having to go thru the turbo. also as i recall you can have issues of the fuel un lubing the turbo if you do a draw thru

Blow thru, fuel inject. Turbo likes load, use lower number than 3.55. Speed shifting is important to keep throttle wide open. Auto trans works good.

I designed ECU for 2.2L Mopar. It does direct ignition, fuel and idle control, with WBO2. 3D fuel, ignition and desired WBO2 tables. The tuning capability easily solves fuel and timing issues related to carb and mechanical ignition. By advancing the timing at the low end, response is good before turbo spools. Retarding timing and adding fuel, spins turbo.

What is "boost reference" and how is it achieved? I am just assuming it has to do with the relationship to the fuel system in regards to boost. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If you run a blow-thru setup, and want to run the stock mechanical fuel pump, you can run a small boost hose down to the atmosphere side of the pump's diaphragm, so it will "see" the boost and keep pumping accordingly. I like the blow-thru setups if it's not too much boost.

If you want to run a draw-thru setup, I was always told you need to modify the turbo with a "carbon seal" installed on the turbo's inlet impeller side.

Along with the fuel pump you have to "do whatever it takes" to the carb. Remember, you are blowing pressure into the inlet, so this is going to pressurize the fuel bowl(s) on the carb. Float collapse can be an issue.

I'm thinking of a single on a SB. Bill? Ward (topfueldart) and rick4106 on here have both done essentially the same thing, ...........reversed Dakota manifolds, crossover in front, single turbo in right front corner, and single big downpipe

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=227729

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjsscD7nNdo"]68 Dodge Dart Turbo 318 Dyno Pull Mopar - YouTube[/ame]

This is going to be a 170, Dell.

Thanks. I am going to have to use what I have. Fuel injection I am sure is nice, but not in my budget. I already have a Holley 500 2 barrel.

Speed shifting will not be important with a 3 on the tree. All I want is something with more pep and is fun to drive and different. It will not be raced.

Maybe if my fuel injection knowledge was better, I might try it. But I know next to nothing about it.

Blow thru, fuel inject. Turbo likes load, use lower number than 3.55. Speed shifting is important to keep throttle wide open. Auto trans works good.

I designed ECU for 2.2L Mopar. It does direct ignition, fuel and idle control, with WBO2. 3D fuel, ignition and desired WBO2 tables. The tuning capability easily solves fuel and timing issues related to carb and mechanical ignition. By advancing the timing at the low end, response is good before turbo spools. Retarding timing and adding fuel, spins turbo.

Okay to you could use a stock misubishi turbo like the one im removing from my turbo caravan on saturday. Should get you 3-5 pound of boost has an internal waste gate . So with this low of boost no need for blow off valve. No need for intercooler. As far as the carb just change to phenalic float sorry about the SP. MSD makes a timing retard box for when you under boost. This will allow you to have good advance during cruse no boost IE good fuel economy. Under boost box retards timing for you no knock. Keep your stock ex manifold have pipe made from it to turbo T3 flange. You will need to make a mount to support turbo. You should get 50 horse or so set up this way may need to richen main jets a size or 2.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shelby+924+spanks+Z06&sm=3

this is my current turbo racer my next will be my Feather Duster. I will be using Megasquirt 3 EFI and a big turbo. PS car in the video is my 87 Shelby GLHS oh its a 5 SPD dont be afraid of turbos with a manual trans they work great. I hit 32psi in .2 seconds. I hate automatic race cars

I've got a nice ct-26 from a 3.0 supra that would work nice if you're interested. Was going to do a turbo six but stumbled onto a sb dart I couldn't pass on. Pm me if you're interested.
I've hot a whole file on info I've collected... I'll get you links ASAP to all my collected info.

I am sure I could not afford it right now. I am throwing around ideas because obviously I am going to keep the car, and I don't want it to sit and rot.

I am sure I could not afford it right now. I am throwing around ideas because obviously I am going to keep the car, and I don't want it to sit and rot.

I am NO expert, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, please.

After picking knowledgeable people's brains on here and on the slant-six dot org site, I have, nevertheless, formed some opinions that may or not be right.

Here is what my hundreds of hours' research has "taught me."

Number one: A 170 cubic-inch slant six is a wonderful race motor for those working within the confines of an NHRA class that rewards efforts of people who are involved with a normally-aspirated class (like NHRA's "Competition Eliminator,", because the head was DESIGNED for that size engine. The ports and valves work great on that size motor, yielding terrific horsepower-per-cubic inch numbers... it will beat the crap out of just about any other (2-valve) motor it goes against PER CUBIC INCH... That has been my experience, at least. Ramcharger Pete McNicoll built a '40 Willys coupe with a 170 and took it to the NHRA Nationals at Indy, in 1961, (I was there!) and made all the other 6-cylinder race cars look like they were backing up! I think it may have run 14-flat at 100-mph... fifty-two years ago.

The 170 has a short stroke and will easily reach RPM-levels that other, longer-stroked slant sixes can only dream about.

That is what it does, well... and, it does that VERY well!!!

The secret, is that the cylinder-head was one that the design-parameters were formulated for that original-displacement slant six, which was a 170... period.... that was the only slant six available.

Number Two: The following year (1961) saw Ma Mopar searching about for a larger-displacement six that would be capable of carrying a 3.600-pound B-Body Cornet wagon to the grocery store or down the highway, keeping up with traffic, all-the-while.

The 170 was just not up to the task, with its basic, one-barrel "economy" version, engine. The necessary torque was just not there; it was asking too much. The Hyper-Pak was arguably too radical for the street...

Narrow bore-center specs (the same for ALL slant sixes,) dictated that there was no room for much bigger pistons, and since more torque was what was needed, Ma just added a 1-inch stroker crank, which raised the displacement to 225, a nearly 33% increase.

That did the trick, and provided the need torque with the same-size pistons, head, and no changes were necessary to the rest of the engine except for the deck-height, rods and piston mods to accommodate the longer stroke.

THE CYLINDER HEAD WAS UN-TOUCHED!!!

Now, we had a new, larger, engine that had gone from a a free-breathing (albeit small,) high-revving, "racy" powerplant, to a strangulated, asthmatic, "high-torque" stump-puller, due to the decidedly small and ineffective-for-performance, ports and valves... a situation that was to plague the slant six in its 225-displacement-size for the rest of its life...

People who have attempted to get good numbers out of normally-aspirated slant six race motors that are relatively large-displacement, have faced an uphill battle and have been usually-disappointed in the results, generating flow-bench numbers from mediocre, to downright poor, due to the head's inability to allow flow in the meaningful range, even with the usual big valves and radical porting. The raw material is just not there.

A 2+hp/cu.in., normally-aspirated 225 motor is practically an impossibility.

Fabo's 305Moparkid has a '68 Dart with a 225 in it that has been treated to MOST of the usual hop-up) tracks, higher compression, more carburetion, headers, a ported head, bigger valves, a more radical cam, a deep rear-axle ratio, a fiberglass hood, suspension mods, a better ignition system, drag slicks, and a transmission re-work.

He knows what he is doing...

Not to belittle his efforts, because I am sure I could do no better, but his car has yet (to my knowledge.... correct me if I am wrong, Ed,) to run quicker than 14-flat, nor 100 mph in the quarter-mile.

You can do that with a well-tuned STOCK 340, I believe (on the same slicks, like he used) slicks and with a gear.) Much more cheaply.

FABO member Tom Wolfe (Shaker223,), a few years ago went junk-yard hunting and found a '78 GN Buick turbo, bought a used, aftermarket 4-bbl slant-six intake manifold and without taking the head off his otherwise stock, 1970 225 Dart Swinger with 105,000-miles on it, added a Holley 4-bbl carb, the Buick Turbo, and with NO OTHER modifications, ran 12.95 and 104mph.

What he did was, make an end-run around that bad-breathing cylinder head.

Here's the video:[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPe_vHwZsF4"]Slant Six Turbo 1970 Dodge Dart 1/4 Mile pass - YouTube[/ame]

He has since, with a modified engine, run a best of 11-flat and 120+mph, into a 15-mph headwind.

You pays your money and you takes your choice...

But the real reason I wrote all this was to try to illustrate why a turbo-170 is not good bang for your buck (MY OPINION ONLY.)

The 225 is SO MUCH larger (displacement) than the 170, (virtually 33-percent,) it would seem that a very-mildly modified 225 would put out as much power as a 7-pound boosted 170... at a lot less cost.

If that's true (and, I believe it is,) I think it might be smarter to just hang onto that nice A-Body and wait, however-long it takes, to get a 225 short-block, sell the 170, and go with a mildly-turbocharged version of that 225.

The performance difference would be dramatic!!!

A turbo-170. boosted to the amount of power that even a mildly-modified normally-aspirated 335 could deliver would probably be the more-expensive of the too...

To reiterate, I am far from an expert, and probably not qualified to give out advice like this, but, maybe take it with a POUND, rather than a grain of salt.... LOL!

On a different tack...

Boost referencing means that the regulator is subjected to manifold-pressure and will add to the fuel pressure, that exact amount as the boost rises, so that the needle and seat never see a pressure-differential different from the status quo, at an idle. (no boost.) Regulators are readily-available to provide that scenario. That would give six pounds of fuel pressure at an idle (no boost) and 16 pounds at 10 pounds of boost. Otherwise, the fuel gets forced back into the supply-line by boost pressure...

Hope that helps!:blob:

This ia just MY opinion... your mileage may vary... and, probably will.... please forgive my arrogance. My 2-cents...

Gosh Bill, that post is enough to make me say screw the turbo and put a damn one barrel on it and go.

Bill, thanks for that!!!

I had all way thought, that the 170 was a p.o.s and they didn't get it right until the 225.

I had a 1970 demon/225. Best dam Snow Car i ever had!!!
Wish i still had it.:sad:

Bill, thanks for that!!!

I had all way thought, that the 170 was a p.o.s and they didn't get it right until the 225.

I had a 1970 demon/225. Best dam Snow Car i ever had!!!
Wish i still had it.:sad:

Make no mistake; when it comes to "specific output" (power per cubic inch) a 170 will beat the tail off a 225... That is important in NHRA class racing (where classes are determined by a car's weight divided by its displacement.)

In fact it will beat almost any 2-valve-per cylinder, inline six because it can REV to the moon!!!!

That type of racing is rare these days, though, and it has a hard time keeping up with a 225 in the real world because of the 225's advantage on sheer size, on the street.

My 2-cents...:coffee2:

I think you can manage a 170, boosted on a single T3 with a low pitch impeller.

Also, if you are feeling super cheap and you don't want to mess with a blow through carb that is designed for holding boost, make an air box that surrounds the entire carb and put a nice, sealed throttle cable on it. The carb will never know. If you want to mess with the carb, just be sure you seal the lid with a few good wing nuts and some good weatherstrip.

You can use that holley all day long with a carter fuel pump, run a signal line from the turbo feed line to the mechanical pump and you're golden. Just be sure you have a gauge, so you can monitor baseline fuel pressure.

Drill a hole in the side of the pan, pop an oil feed to the turbo, run an oil cooler up front, right off of the turbo return line...

If you ran that CT26 Toyota turbo, they aren't too expensive and that would land you about 8psi. 10-12 if you shimmed the wastegate bracket to pull the spring tighter, away from the housing with a few washers.

There is a guy that makes cheap, plasma cut steel flanges for those turbos, for making custom stuff. I think they're about $30?

If you are worried about boost loss, don't use a blowoff valve. Those aren't necessary for a low boost car. Use a diverter valve. It's the same idea, but instead of just taking the high pressure away from the back side of the impeller blades and dumping it into the atmosphere, it has a horn on it that you can use to plumb rubber/ metal line to the intake tube of the turbo, so it takes the pressure from one side and equalizes both sides of the impeller blades.

How this effects boost, while shifting, is a slow decrease in psi, rather than an immediate drop, but it still manages to take load off of the impeller blades and gives the pressure somewhere to go, when the engine will not use it, as the throttle plate is closed/ blocking the pressure, during clutch.

You don't need to power shift that clutch to death.

I think you can run what you have with a very simple design. Because the exhaust and intake are on the same side, and the turbo works by using unburnt fuel and exhaust pressure building heat and spinning the turbine, like an afterburner in a jet engine, I think it would be a good idea to run an intercooler. Even if it's just a little one, because I think the intake runners will get too hot on that engine, without one. It will help differentiate heat readings from the staggered exhaust and intake runners, being right next to each other. Especially on something that may sit in traffic.

-
Back