Thinking of selling off everything?

-
They say the economy is good, not for me. I must of put in 40 applications had 1 interview. That one fell through they never called. I been doing construction and facility management my entire military career and after retiring I’m struggling to find work. Looking at minimum wages jobs now just to get something.

I hear ya....

If it's a choice between parting and selling, and parting raises more $, and if you need cash in the short term, and want to keep the car, maybe part out some higher $ parts?
Just thinking through what I gathered, and added in wanting to keep that particular car.
It got tough for me a few times, and I thought if I had to I would strip it down before letting it go.

Thanks for your service!!!!

However anyone who wants to work can find a job right now. It may not be the money, the hours, and the description but you can find a paycheck. So what if you have to clean toilets for a few months until retirement checks start coming in. It's called survival. Been there, done that. Didn't like it but I paid my bills....

Good luck
JW

keep it. Get your mind straight and beat the bricks. You are what good employers are looking for, you just haven't found them yet.
You need to remember who are and where you've been, make use of it. Positive use.
Good Luck Brother
Semper Fi
Too bad your in the Peach State, Lotsa work in Texas, Plant manager asked me friday if I knew anyone that needed a job, said they can't find anybody mechanically inclined.

They need another team member assembling packers for the oil patch.
Gotta move to where the work is I guess.
hate to tell you this but you had to have transferred your post 9/11 education benefits by now. There are rules for transferring it to kids or spouse. I transferred mine last year to my wife and I had to extend my enlistment to have 4 years retainability and I believe you can’t have over 15 or so years time in service and transfer. But check on it anyways.

service connected disability claims are supposedly more streamlined and quick on decisions but appeal the % for more no matter what. They’ll always low ball you.

I switch it before I got out years ago. I’m good there.

Last edited:
Really sorry to read of your hardship. I will say this. If that car was on here for sale, it'd have a 10K price tag.

Oh and if you need some storage space, you've been here. Bring it on down. I caint keep it inside, but you can get a car cover and have a piece of yard.

"caint".....:thumbsup:

Thanks for your service!!!!

However anyone who wants to work can find a job right now. It may not be the money, the hours, and the description but you can find a paycheck. So what if you have to clean toilets for a few months until retirement checks start coming in. It's called survival. Been there, done that. Didn't like it but I paid my bills....

Good luck
JW
usajobs.gov
Ive been on USjobs you have to be out the military for 6 months for most DOD jobs. I have 11 applications on there now. Some I did back in November and still haven’t heard anything. The status just says received and nothing has followed.

Ive been on USjobs you have to be out the military for 6 months for most DOD jobs. I have 11 applications on there now. Some I did back in November and still haven’t heard anything. The status just says received and nothing has followed.

Dump that idea and go to plan B. My point is you can go in so many directions in this country right now. Just giving a different perspective.

In life sometimes we don't realize what we are capable of... Military with some wrenching and mechanical abilty on top of management skills. Lulu in the corner pocket all day....

Good luck and thanks again for your service....
JW

Sorry to read. I know how you feel. I had a ton of money in a car about 10 year's ago. Lost my job had to sell my car and lost my butt. It surely sucks. Hope something pans out.

Don't know how it is anymore but a Military career just about guaranteed you a spot with the USPS. Have you checked with the Post Office?

Shame your in Georgia. My son bought a truck down in Manassas Va and when the dealer found out that he did carpentry work he told him they are on a deadline to build over a hundred thousand homes in the area for big business that is moving there. Amazon hub is one of them. He said they are paying up to $50hr for Construction workers, Plumbers, Electricians, Pavers, Roofers, Dry Wallers, Painters, Heavy Equipment operators etc.. Also working 7 days a week... Lots of money here in Pa. also. Good luck, Keep the car and you may just have to look outside your area...

That’s just it, my retirement check doesn’t kick in till march and it will cover my mortgage so I won’t be homeless LOL!!!

I got a bachelors degree in business management and mostly construction experience.

I do have my post 9/11 GI Bill hoping to save it for my two boys, worst case I’ll go back to school. I haven’t even got my return on investment for my bachelors degree.

I’m still waiting to hear back on VA disability but not counting on it.

When did you file? If it was during out processing you may want to follow up. Do you know if a service organization filed on your behalf?

When did you file? If it was during out processing you may want to follow up. Do you know if a service organization filed on your behalf?

Also, does the nature of your disability prevent you from entering into certain career fields?

$50/hr for painters? Jeez, Im in the wrong industry.....Telecom! 5G is around the corner, thousands of low power cell sites (not towers but pico cells, small boxes on light poles and such) will need to be constructed and installed and the infrastructure to support them (electrical. fiber, copper, etc) A buddy of mine is doing this in CA and is swamped with work.

Id part it out before selling it at a loss. Can always start new at your new job location.

I have a very simple rule I follow that keeps me from selling out. I just dabble in things no one will buy.

Sorry to hear of your hardships, and thank you for your service.

I was in your spot a couple of times. Money was really tight, bills were piling up, and I was very much worried things were going south, hard and fast. I sold off a beautiful 69 Malibu convertible for what I could get (a loss) and a nice Lund boat, same thing for a loss.

Looking backwards I really regret having sold them. The hard times weren't as dire as they appeared, and got better with some hard work and time. If I could send a message to my former self, I'd tell me to cut all expenses to the bone, live as cheap as possible, and while I was employed while this happened, get a second job for a while to get over the rough spot. It might be an option for you to temporarily move to an area with a base or where there is work, just to get by. I lived in a travel trailer for about six months once in an RV park by the freeway. Total monthly housing cost was about $300 a month and it really helped me get back on my feet.

Eventually everything worked out OK, the Malibu was replaced with the Valiant in my avatar, and the boat was replaced also and sits outside today. I guess what I'm getting at, tough times often are more temporary than they seem. If there is work in VA or TX it might be worth it to scoot there for a while, live cheap, and re-establish yourself. Good luck.

Check out a North west Arkansas by Fayetteville Bentonville area. Unemployment is virtually non existent. More jobs than folks wanting to work. Heavy heavy building and construction area, cranes dot the skyline. But you would have to let go of them dawgs and go with the Hogs!

Northwest Arkansas is an area I wouldn't hesitate to move to. I met my wife when I was stationed in Little Rock. I wouldn't want to live in that part of the state...not pretty at all... But Northwest Arkansas is nice. My wife went to University of Arkansas and I recruited for the Air Force in Arkansas and loved going to Fayetteville.

Keep the car, sell what you don't need, go where the Job is. I was stuck in Maryland for decades before I could move back down south. Thanks for your service and good Luck.

I love all the advice guys, I got some side work today, fixing rental properties told the lady 150 a day for 8hrs, that includes my labor, tools, and truck. Honest pay for honest work. She bit for two days next week maybe more we will see. I’ll do carpentry, plumbing, electrical, fix drywall, paint, clean, make dump runs etc. I do appreciate you all.

What makes it hard is that I’m not that bad off yet, but being the sole provider for the family. When I start seeing problems in the foreseeable future I get flustered and need to Humble myself, I look at what I have as just a materialistic possession that I don’t need and want to start selling ****. I guess family men do what they gotta do. That’s how I see it anyhow. Not all do.

OP, you got skills. Cash is king. Maybe you can become a handyman. Never under estimate the power of that paycheck. Network some and find some property owners and go get some work....

Don't sell the car. A year from now life will be different and you will wish to have not sold it.

Glad to see this,
JW

-
Back