this city sucks

-

caferacerx

BAND MEMBER
Reaction score
you want to know why?
the city is short on money, gee I wounder why?
do you think it has anything to do with buying

$4000 solar powered electric trashcans????
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no joke (its not funny just stupid)

Attachments

• solar trash.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 357
you want to know why?
the city is short on money, gee I wounder why?
do you think it has anything to do with buying

$4000 solar powered electric trashcans????
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no joke (its not funny just stupid)

Why the hell do they need trashcans. It's not like they will ever get used.
Except maybe by tourists.

you're right, both stupid and sad since the list I saw shows Philly has 93 sunny days per year on average - just about 1 day in 4. To be fair, the list didn't include either 'Partly Sunny' or 'Partly Cloudy' days.
But even better, I bet these $4000 trashcans will be located downtown where they'll be shaded by buildings most of the day.
Don't you just want to slap politicians upside the head and ask, "What are you thinking?" Or if they even are thinking.

best part is they are empty inside, just a can with a bag in it, yup $4000 gets you zip nothing, no fancy little compacter, or high tech gadget, just a trashcan in a box with a door

mayor nutjob, er nutcase, or nutless

That's no way to be talking about mayor Sputter. One screwed up city. It has to be the only place in the country where a city council member can retire for one day to collect a half million, and returned to work the next day.

Think of all the electricity they will save over the regular trash cans! LOL We actually have one at work. Its called a Big Belly and has a compactor in it. $5000 and an expensive service contract to boot. What a waste. Needless to say it is a huge corporation. They pay for garbage removal by the ton not by volume so the compactor doesn't even make sense.

Are they supplying power to the grid? If so they sell that green power to the power company at a pretty high price. All the towns here have solar panels on the telephone poles now for that reason.

I want one of those, so I can use on days that I wear my gasoline powered turtle neck sweater...

Could be worse Lansing did a beautify project with trees bricks walls and benches. And who you think uses the benches? Bums.... Spent all that money to make a place for bums to sleep.

Whats the point of a garbage can having electric power?

you're right, both stupid and sad since the list I saw shows Philly has 93 sunny days per year on average - just about 1 day in 4. To be fair, the list didn't include either 'Partly Sunny' or 'Partly Cloudy' days.
But even better, I bet these $4000 trashcans will be located downtown where they'll be shaded by buildings most of the day.
Don't you just want to slap politicians upside the head and ask, "What are you thinking?" Or if they even are thinking.

I thought "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" (sorry, I had to)

Seriously though, I work as an energy engineer and these don't seem cost-effective at all. Especially located in a shady area...

This is a sign of things to come.

A couple years ago while I was at the SEMA gathering in NV, my wife and I sat next to some Brits, who were berating the US over environmental policies and the 'foolishness' of the citizenry for not challenging it.

Turns out, in the UK, they saw similar technology show up on the 'sidewalks' and thought, at first, it was pretty novel.

Well, within a year or so, their Parliament implemented new laws governing "roll around" trash containers. You know, the same units we push to the roadside once a week. If you're like us, you have one for recycle and one for trash.

As a result of the new laws, the roll-around containers got replaced by the service provider. The new containers were "electronic". How so ?

The containers were fitted with a vertical array of sensors, which were capable of communicating with the truck via on-board equipment, and 'taller' waste materials resulted in higher waste fees. Sounds good on the surface, doesn't it? After all, it sounds like a "pay as you play" scenario, which should help bring costs down by "trimming" your monthly waste pile, right ?

Well, it turned out the waste mgt groups lobbied for increased fees to enable them to invest in new technology, and their lobbiests also sold it to the legislators under the premise that it would significantly reduce waste.

In the end, the Brits kept their original fee structure (e.g. They were originally paying $60/mo for services), as a "BASE" service fee, and the sensors within the the trash units dictated the amount OVER the base fee customers had to pay. And, yes, they were pissed when they realized it was now $60 + container volume, which (surprise), doubled their monthly fees, since most persons are consistent with their waste and trimming was unlikely...

They also said for Americans to get ready for the same, since Obama's green concepts are pretty much derived from UK and European regs.

Just thought I'd share it so we can be on the lookout.

Southernman

Ok so they have a neat little compactor, call me when they can actually vaporize the trash then it might be worth the $$$$$$$

(and it would actually be kinda cool)

Walmart wanted to build one of their super stores in my city that would have brought in ENORMOUS tax revenue, but no. My city which is already so short on cash that it can't pay city workers, refused to let them build it. Now the next town over, which is suburbs and rich and doesnt need the tax money at all, is getting all of that. Damn good job there.

yes whats the point,,people in the mid atlantic region are pigs,,,they throw any thing and every thing out there car windows,,just look around on the streets,,,some one toook some one out to a big fat lunch to make the city buy those,,,what a joke,,,yes if any visitors come to the city they may use those solar cans,,,but the city has recieved several e mails of would be visitors saying we will not come to visit this city cause of all the riff raff,,,,why they even bothered to e mail the city is beyond me,,,

Actually they look kind of cool and the city will be able to cut trash collectors (as long as they are not union) and save money.

In theory

What happened, did they call you and ask you to move so the tourists would come?:D

Sorry man.
Couldn't let that one get by.

yes whats the point,,people in the mid atlantic region are pigs,,,they throw any thing and every thing out there car windows,,just look around on the streets,,,some one toook some one out to a big fat lunch to make the city buy those,,,what a joke,,,yes if any visitors come to the city they may use those solar cans,,,but the city has recieved several e mails of would be visitors saying we will not come to visit this city cause of all the riff raff,,,,why they even bothered to e mail the city is beyond me,,,

-
Back