This don't seem right to me

-
It is worthless sale, as you would not have any matching numbers on the vehicle that you would build using these items.
And if you did it would be fraud ( read crime here) to use the tags or the title and represent them as legitimate on another vehicle.

i run into those adds from time to time. i just cant see how any of that can be legal. i dont believe tampering with dash VIN number tags is legal. but... you can buy reproduction rivets. trying to misrepresent a car with those tags and numbers is illegal unless it is disclosed to the buyer. and, there are numbers stamped onto the body , so it could be confirmed if the car is actually the body born with the VIN number, unless you cut those pieces out and weld them into the new body, which a lot of people do.

This is known as a 'rebody' and even though some people try to do it, it seems on the fringe or worse to me. If he's saying that ALL you get are the tags, THIS IS TOTALLY illegal.

VINs are put on cars for a REASON. We need to flag this guy for illegal

flagged. if enough hit flag maybe it will get attention and removed. sometimes they need an explanation in the forum, but this seems obvious if the mods read the ad.

One real bad thing about Craigslist. No real way to report problems.

Ad reported to the IAATI & the NICB. If you see anymore like it, please holler at me? :)

i run into those adds from time to time. i just cant see how any of that can be legal. i dont believe tampering with dash VIN number tags is legal. but... you can buy reproduction rivets. trying to misrepresent a car with those tags and numbers is illegal unless it is disclosed to the buyer. and, there are numbers stamped onto the body , so it could be confirmed if the car is actually the body born with the VIN number, unless you cut those pieces out and weld them into the new body, which a lot of people do.
I am glad they make the reproduction rivets. The fab guy removed the vin tag off of my dash. Never did find out why, although if I remember right where he cut the dash to get the cage thru it is pretty close to the tag. Former neighbor purchased a real 69 Z28 that had been turned into a track car. He cut the numbers off of the car & attempted to sell the car and the tags separate. Last I had heard from him he had no luck selling either the tags nor the car, car was pretty much a turd.

I'm not sure if the sale or purchase of these items is really violating any law. It's what you DO with them that can be extremely illegal. Obviously the seller has that intent in mind, but the tags and build sheet are just car parts.

I obviously think this is bad, and should not be allowed. But it may not be exactly "illegal" per-se.

but on the bright side it would put another mopar "that may have went to the scrapyard otherwise" back on the road to be enjoyed. unless ofcourse it is a highend rare mopar and your looking to make big bucks on it but, if it is you would check the body numbers with the vin anyway and quickly see it is a fake. kinda like a clone car. on a regular car not such a big deal...just sayin.....

The primary reason that it's illegal is that the tags and other body numbers could be used on a car that is stolen or has a bad title to misrepresent it as a ''clean'' car.
FRAUD!
And highly illegal.
I flagged it as prohibited.

Right, misuse of the items will be illegal. But does anyone know if possession or sale of them is illegal? I'm not saying it isn't, but no one has yet to post a compelling reason to make it so, or cited any MV documents to that effect.

You could take any of these cars on Craigslist and use them in an armed robbery, or whatever. They can't pull ads for what you MAY do with it.

I believe that law states removing numbers from a vehicle is illegal

I'm not sure if the sale or purchase of these items is really violating any law. It's what you DO with them that can be extremely illegal. Obviously the seller has that intent in mind, but the tags and build sheet are just car parts.

I obviously think this is bad, and should not be allowed. But it may not be exactly "illegal" per-se.

I'm thinking the same, the seller better not talk too much what to do with them

Its like selling pipes to smoke crack out of, it could be used for tobacco and until illegal stuff is smoke through the pipe, its legal--now yeah, some cites police will still try to claim its illegal, can be a fine line and if the seller can walk it straight, lol

...........and in some states that applies to ANY serial number on ANY equipment, including radios, cameras, whatever.

Hmmm, is it removal or replacement.

Its my car, on my property, I should be able to do anything I like with it--so long as it stays on my land and harms nobody

Even if there is a law, it might not hold up in court--if you want to spend the $$$$ to fight it

Also how can the state prove it was removed in their state ?

Like I said, the seller better be a good talker--or not talk at all

that is very illegal what the seller is trying to do...

that being said how to people that buy the reproduction challenger/cuda or chebby camero bodies get them registed? do they come with a VIN? or do you have to transplant yours? that would be illegal wouldn't it?

also if you buy a car from dessert valley auto parts for example how would you register it?

taking a VIN tag on and off a vehicle, in itself is not illegal. replacing one with another is, if it is being presented as something that it is not. i knew a guy back in the day that bought a white 68 charger R/T without a title. sat in his back yard forever and could not register it. he ran across a 68 charger 318 car that someone had parted out to the bone. it had a clear title, registration, trim tag, and even plates. he bought the car for 100 bucks. he popped both the VIN tags off and put the VIN tag off the 318 car onto the R/T with regular pop rivets.in no way shape or form is this legal. he got the car titled/plated/insured in his name. he had been stopped and ticketed on a number of occasions and no one was none the wiser. he never attempted to pass the car off, it was never sold, it eventually got parted out. it would have been so easy for him to resell it, but not as an R/T. but many people do just the opposite, putting highly optioned and big motor tags on plain jane cars and resell them. that is where people must do their homework and look for those body stampings along with every ounce of paperwork they can get their hands on. selling the tags is not illegal, its what the buyer does with them that could be illegal. i am by no means condoning this or promoting it, in fact i think its just another jacked up way to make a buck.

Hmmm, is it removal or replacement.

Its my car, on my property, I should be able to do anything I like with it--so long as it stays on my land and harms nobody

Even if there is a law, it might not hold up in court--if you want to spend the $$$$ to fight it

Also how can the state prove it was removed in their state ?

Like I said, the seller better be a good talker--or not talk at all

Its a federal law so it doesnt matter which state you removed the numbers in. If you put them on a new car you obviously had to remove them from something.

§ 170.70 Illegal possession of a vehicle identification number.
A person is guilty of illegal possession of a vehicle identification number when:

(1) He knowingly possesses a vehicle identification number label, sticker or plate which has been removed from the vehicle or vehicle part to which such label, sticker or plate was affixed by the manufacturer in accordance with 49 U.S.C. section 32101, et seq. and regulations promulgated thereunder or in accordance with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law; or

(2) He knowingly possesses a vehicle or vehicle part to which is attached a vehicle identification number label, sticker or plate or on which is stamped or embossed a vehicle identification number which has been destroyed, covered, defaced, altered or otherwise changed, or a vehicle or vehicle part from which a vehicle identification number label, sticker or plate has been removed, which label, sticker or plate was affixed in accordance with 49 U.S.C. section 32101, et seq. or regulations promulgated thereunder, except when he has complied with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

(3) He knowingly possesses a vehicle, or part of a vehicle to which by law or regulation must be attached a vehicle identification number, either (a) with a vehicle identification number label, sticker, or plate which was not affixed by the manufacturer in accordance with 49 U.S.C. section 32101, et seq. or regulations promulgated thereunder, or in accordance with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law or regulations promulgated thereunder, or (b) on which is affixed, stamped or embossed a vehicle identification number which was not affixed, stamped or embossed by the manufacturer, or in accordance with 49 U.S.C. section 32101, et seq. or regulations promulgated thereunder or in accordance with the provisions of the vehicle and traffic law or regulations promulgated thereunder. Illegal possession of a vehicle identification number is a class E felony.

I know a kid who spent a few uncomfortable nights in jail in Montana over a deal like this, and took MONTHS to get "his" car back

55 Chivvy, belonged to a kid in Sandpoint, then my cousin, then a friend of mine, then me over the years I was in the Navy, it sat with no drivetrain. When I got out, I was "no longer" a Chivvie guy and sold the body. ALL THIS TIME there had been no legit title. The kid fixed it up, put a LOT of money into the car and painted it. I don't know HOW he got tags.

Got stopped over in Montana and it all came crashing down.

-
Back