This has probably been answered like a thousand times...

-

Squ4wk

Reaction score
So I just picked up a 65 Valiant for really cheap ($500). It runs great, minus a terrible whistling from a hole in the carb. I am trying to find another carb, but my inexperience has gotten the best of me. I do not know how to find the engine size so I can get the right size carb. Since the parts house tells me that they are all special order, I won't be able to just bring it in. All I know is that is a slant 6. Also, I need to find tail light lenses, but it has been a chore. Any help would be very appreciated.

DONT BUY A REMANUFACTURED CARB.
Get ahold of San Six Dan and buy A NOS Holley 1920 or Carter BBS you will pay about the same as a refurb and get a NEW carb.
Frank
PS it doesnt matter if its a 170 or 225 same carb.

Welcome aboard! You can find the engine year and size stamped into the top of the block over by the coil mounting. If your engine is original, it should say A17, A170, A22, or A225. Other years will have different letter codes but the number will indicate the size. 17 is a 170, 19 is a 198, 22 is a 225. The letter codes are R (1961) S (1962) T (1963) V (1964) then they started over with A (1965) B (1966) and so forth up to 1973 when they went to a number code that indicated the year.

is it a hole that can be plugged? missing vacuum line?
just did some work on my car and have the old 1920 sitting in my trunk. it leaked a little from the throttle shaft but otherwise was nice.
depending where you are i might be able to ship to you for small fee.
you probably want a new one, but if price is an issue hit me up. i'd love to help keep another slant on the road.
i'm in zip 95062.

NOOOO! dont listen to them get a simple 675 or 750 holley street avenger or dominator carb around $400+ but it'd give your car that extra kick and would run way better

NOOOO! dont listen to them get a simple 675 or 750 holley street avenger or dominator carb around $400+ but it'd give your car that extra kick and would run way better

??????? BOTH carbs are WAY too big for even the most radical slants, not to mention a stock one. A dominator? Seriously???

you'd have to get a new intake manifold to 4 barrel set up 2 to 300 for that or you could runa weber system check it out

Ummm... this is WAY overkill (and $$$$) for a stock slant. Unless you're completely rebuilding and upgrading the engine from top to bottom, just replace the carb with a NEW on from SlantSixDan, as previously posted, or have a reputable rebuilder rebuild your existing carb.

The whistle thing can be caused by a number of different things.
Check the PCV valve, the vac advance, the choke pull-off vac diaphragm...heck, check all of the vac lines.
It could also be an internal leak ( internal to the carb itself ).
Personally, I'd try a simple rebuild after you've checked the vac lines depending on how much time you have. Frank is right on. "Rebuilt" parts store carbs come free with headaches, are built with good old fashioned guess work, and don't come tuned to work on anything but the test bench ( if that ) :lol:
Every once and a while someone will say they got a good one, but that is the exception.

-
Back