This is what I get.......

-

bkbond12

Old ones need lovin too..
Reaction score
........for buying a non-mopar.

I picked up a 1975 Pontiac Trans Am (for the wifey, she liked it) and did a little work to fix some transmission leaks. I got it plated/insured and took it for a spin.

Observations:
1) Speedo doesn't work, no big deal.

2) Little vibration, no big deal, I know whats wrong.

3) 2 miles down the road, it spun a bearing and developed a nasty (loudest I've ever heard) rod knock.

Damn, I have an extra 400 sb, along with the one in it, but I'm not sure if anything is wrong with it. I don't have the skills to rebuild and sure as hell don't want to pay for the rebuild right now.

Anyone have a 350 or 400 sb they'd like to let go cheap? Not looking for a built engine, but one I can drop in and drive while I get some help to rebuild the original 400.

IMG_3923_800x600.jpg

IMG_3898_800x600.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! no that sux man hope you get your paper weight problems fixes

i remember when u got that. that really sucks have you checked craigs list yet? there a car shop down here who are in to yaks down here if i get out i will check for you. can it be a short block are you don,t want to install your top end?email this posting to a friend akron-canton craigslist > for sale / wanted > auto parts
please flag with care:

miscategorized

prohibited

spam/overpost

best of craigslist

Avoid scams and fraud by dealing locally! Beware any deal involving Western Union, Moneygram, wire transfer, cashier check, money order, shipping, escrow, or any promise of transaction protection/certification/guarantee. More info
1970 350 and 1974 455 Pontiac Engine (Wadsworth)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-07-15, 9:42AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 1970 350 Pontiac Engine, has 75,000 milles good condition, asking $750 o.b.o call ed at 330-618-5429 if interested
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 1974 455 Pontiac Engine for sale, has 50,000 miles, good condition, asking $850 o.b.o please call ed at 330-618-5429 if interested

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1844081568

Copyright © 2010 craigslist, inc. terms of use privacy policy feedback forum

The famous Pontiac spun bearing! BTW, the engine in the picture is no SBC. Pontiac 400 is a completely different animal from a 350 or 400 SB. All Pontiacs right thru the 455 are dimensionally identical, differing only in bore and stroke. They use the BOP bellhousing pattern where the Chev engines have a unique pattern. They will not interchange unless you also change the transmission. Also, beware of a difference in engine mount bosses. I think there was a changeup around 1970. Early and late blocks use different engine mounts.

Just about every Pontiac I have ever owned spun a bearing in its lifetime. Former neighbor is a Pontiac nut, I will ask him....

If you do stick with a poncho drivetrain get yourself some aftermarket rods. the factory ones aren't the strongest. I had a 67 Firebird with a 400 that punched a 6 inch hole in the side of the block.

The famous Pontiac spun bearing! BTW, the engine in the picture is no SBC. Pontiac 400 is a completely different animal from a 350 or 400 SB. All Pontiacs right thru the 455 are dimensionally identical, differing only in bore and stroke. They use the BOP bellhousing pattern where the Chev engines have a unique pattern. They will not interchange unless you also change the transmission. Also, beware of a difference in engine mount bosses. I think there was a changeup around 1970. Early and late blocks use different engine mounts.
Pontiac did make a 350. Maybe that's what he's refering to?

that sucks nice looking car though, what about just dropping in a cheap jasper re-man if your only gonna use it as a driver? at least it will have a warranty

That sucks man. Sorry to hear. It's no fun when things like this happen and is discouraging. You'll get it sorted out man. Hang in there. :)

Thats a good lookin' T/A, I'd find a good deal on a low mile 350 goodwrench chevy crate engine and not mess with the pontiac engine, just keep it incase you ever sell the car, probably have to change to a chevy tranny unless you have the duel bolt pattern bellhousing in it now...

i remember when u got that. that really sucks have you checked craigs list yet? there a car shop down here who are in to yaks down here if i get out i will check for you. can it be a short block are you don,t want to install your top end?email this posting to a friend akron-canton craigslist > for sale / wanted > auto parts
please flag with care:

Thanks, that would be awesome, I'd prefer to pick up an engine I could hear run, but have no problem swapping the top end as long as the bottom is sound.

I was told that it was a 400 sb with a 350 turbo trans. I was also told that the extra engine I received was the original 400 sb, however I just checked it for castings and it says 350 on the bottom, driver's side of the engine. It also has the YU code on the front. I couldn't find the date code though. The engine currently in the car looks exactly the same, but has the YX code on it. I can't see the displacement casting though, so now I feel like a fool. I did find a few engine code sites that show the YX was a 455 for several years, so who knows? I'll have to get it up in the air and find the rest of the casting numbers.

that sucks nice looking car though, what about just dropping in a cheap jasper re-man if your only gonna use it as a driver? at least it will have a warranty

I checked Jasper and it looks like it would cost about $4000 to just purchase the engine. That's a little more than I'd like to spend. Thanks though.

Since it's Pontiac, keep it that way. You'll have to change the frame mounts, exhaust and get another transmission. Not to mention little stuff like locate brackets and stuff. I have always liked those cars. The round headlight 70s models, not the Bandit cars. I wish you we closer, you could come over drink some ice tea with me while I build you a new Pontiac motor. I'd be glad to do it to meet a new friend. I HAVE a 1999 350 Chevy vortec engine with the really good 062 casting vortec heads that I am not going to use. I even have a turbo 350 short tail shaft transmission. I just got done not long ago reassembling the short block with all new rings and bearings. The heads only need assembling. Would take me 30 minutes. You could have all that for 350 bucks and I would even finish the engine for you...you'd need to buy a few things like oil pump and the like and the transmission is only a good core. It needs building.......but you'd have good chevy power. Those little vortecs are stump pullers. But if the car was mine, I'd stick with Pontiac.

Weren't all Pontiac V8 engines back in the 70's based on the same block? I mean, they didn't follow the same big block/small block configuration that Chevy did.
It seems to me I recall reading that they only used one basic block and bored, stroked, or destroked as needed to create their various engine size.
If that is indeed the case, finding a usable "period" engine for it shouldn't be too difficult, or expensive.
A neighbor purchased a 350 out of a junk yard car that he's put well over 100,000 miles on without rebuilding it. We pulled it on a Saturday morning, installed it later that day, and the car's been running fin ever since.
Look around and be a little choosy. There some good stuff available out there, to spite the Cash for Clunker fiasco.

That looks more like Mopar blue paint on that engine that anything GM used.
Sorry, I remember when you got it also (or was looking at it). A damn shame you were taken advantage of as I am sure the seller knew there were issues.
C

That does suck!

I have a gm v6 I am not sure if it is 3.8 or 4.3 and a trans that you may be able to bolt in without much work. I have had them for a few years but dont know anything about them. They came in a 1922 Dodge Brothers coupe that I bought, I pulled them out to put in a Plymouth drivetrain.

Here is a pic of the motor. And also a pic of my last Trans AM.

Pm me if you may be interested in the motor.

4.3 comp.jpg

DSCN0709comp.jpg

Weren't all Pontiac V8 engines back in the 70's based on the same block? I mean, they didn't follow the same big block/small block configuration that Chevy did.
It seems to me I recall reading that they only used one basic block and bored, stroked, or destroked as needed to create their various engine size.
If that is indeed the case, finding a usable "period" engine for it shouldn't be too difficult, or expensive.
A neighbor purchased a 350 out of a junk yard car that he's put well over 100,000 miles on without rebuilding it. We pulled it on a Saturday morning, installed it later that day, and the car's been running fin ever since.
Look around and be a little choosy. There some good stuff available out there, to spite the Cash for Clunker fiasco.

The only one different that I know of was the 301. It was difinitely a small block. Other than that, I think they were all the same.....but I aint no Pontiac man.

I think that holds true up until 1977 when the Pontiac motors couldn't meet the new EPA rules so they used Olds and GMC motors sparking a bunch of lawsuits , my 77 grand prix daily driver is a lawsuit car- 350/350 olds 4bolt /4bbl passed by making more power from less fuel proving high performance does'nt always equal more pollution

Since it's Pontiac, keep it that way. You'll have to change the frame mounts, exhaust and get another transmission. Not to mention little stuff like locate brackets and stuff. I have always liked those cars. The round headlight 70s models, not the Bandit cars. I wish you we closer, you could come over drink some ice tea with me while I build you a new Pontiac motor. I'd be glad to do it to meet a new friend. I HAVE a 1999 350 Chevy vortec engine with the really good 062 casting vortec heads that I am not going to use. I even have a turbo 350 short tail shaft transmission. I just got done not long ago reassembling the short block with all new rings and bearings. The heads only need assembling. Would take me 30 minutes. You could have all that for 350 bucks and I would even finish the engine for you...you'd need to buy a few things like oil pump and the like and the transmission is only a good core. It needs building.......but you'd have good chevy power. Those little vortecs are stump pullers. But if the car was mine, I'd stick with Pontiac.

Yeah, too bad you're in Georgia. That's a bit of a trek.

That does suck!

I have a gm v6 I am not sure if it is 3.8 or 4.3 and a trans that you may be able to bolt in without much work. I have had them for a few years but dont know anything about them. They came in a 1922 Dodge Brothers coupe that I bought, I pulled them out to put in a Plymouth drivetrain.

Here is a pic of the motor. And also a pic of my last Trans AM.

Pm me if you may be interested in the motor.

That's a good looking TA. I'll think about that engine, but would prefer to drop in another V-8.

I think that holds true up until 1977 when the Pontiac motors couldn't meet the new EPA rules so they used Olds and GMC motors sparking a bunch of lawsuits , my 77 grand prix daily driver is a lawsuit car- 350/350 olds 4bolt /4bbl passed by making more power from less fuel proving high performance does'nt always equal more pollution

I know that in 75' they started alot of emissions controls on the TA's, but you're prolly right about when they started using GM engines in 77'.

-
Back