This just doesn't look "right" (manual steering)

-
There is plastic shear pins in there. When we converted my 68 Coronet to a manual gearbox years ago my friend Tugboat took a sledge and we beat that thing until we shared the pins to adjust the length of the column to make it work with the new gearbox.. Shady... but I was 20 something years old really didn't care, errr THINK, too much! We also did a dual front discs Conversion at the same time. Man I still miss Her!! SHE WAS BAD!
I was reading about the sheer pins in the shop manual last night. And also found a Mopar tech video about them on YT. Early car safety features. Early tech training via film strip, complete with the “ding” to advance to the next frame.

No worries Ironracer..........There is a tiny pin just at the top opening of the coupler that has to be pushed out in order to remove the "guts" of the joint. The big roll pin you are referring to is at the gear box end of the coupler :)
On the early cars like Vixen, that small pin isn't there. I don't know when they started using it. Mine also doesn't have the large roll pin holding the coupler to the input shaft on the gearbox, but rather a retaining bolt and nut. The early cars were different with a lot of stuff like that.

Just get the kit to rebuild the coupler and pack it full of grease, And then do the recommended bearing Upgrade, man you will love it! Unfortunately there's so many potential places in our old rides to get the steering kind of squirrely,, so it's just best to eliminate Any problems! Earlier in the thread about it I apologize about that..... it wasn't a joke on you or directed on you it was just an old car kinda joke. Hardest thing you'll have to do to do the repairs correctly is press the steel pin out of the end of the shaft! And all I can say is "at least your driving her! " Happy Moparing!
I never did get the pin out and I didn't want to booger it up so I just pulled the column and the shaft.

I never did get the pin out and I didn't want to booger it up so I just pulled the column and the shaft.
I pressed the lower shaft pin out, while pressing in a new one, once? Chipped a Lil chunk off the end of the shaft! Ran it anyway....after a weld em up repair.. what are ya gonna do? Darn it!

Thats just the dust cover designed to keep some grease in and dirt out. You might have to loosen the column and pull it away from the box and replace it after greasing the couplers.
First, your coupler is nearly fallen completely apart!
View attachment 1716049862
The part that I have circled is supposed to be inside the part just below it. This is DANGEROUS! Don’t drive this car until you’ve put this joint back together.

Believe it or not, there was actually a special tool back in the day that you used for the very purpose of centering the steering shaft in the steering column before tightening everything down. I believe it was a Miller C-4134, but it is virtually impossible to find one today.

I was reading about the sheer pins in the shop manual last night. And also found a Mopar tech video about them on YT. Early car safety features. Early tech training via film strip, complete with the “ding” to advance to the next frame.
Dude, those Chrysler Master Tech videos are actually pretty doggone cool! I'm glad somebody found those and put them on YouTube!

Yes gasket will stretch over. Just did mine.

20230311_120921.jpg

Thanks, just connected to manual pump.
Now started to change auto column shifter to manual. Making c4044 tool .

20230312_083112.jpg

-
Back