This might be a long shot / Pictures wanted

-

340john

Reaction score
My 1970 Swinger was originally Dark Burnt Orange with a black vinyl top, black interior and a white bumblebee stripe. In 1986 I repainted it Yellow, in 1989 I repainted it Sublime and in 1993 I repainted it Red. I am gathering parts for an upcoming restoration and I am undecided on what color combo to make it this time. I was wondering if anyone had pictures of a 70 Dart in Dark Burnt Orange/Black vinyl top/Black int./White bee stripe. or, Red/no vinyl top, with a White bee stripe. Or...what are your favorite color combos ?

Come, Give me a hard one.

2ZW8YSHZPWQUL1VIW5.jpg

9LD6G1TMEERXPDA778.jpg

23_3.jpg

CF_3.JPG

Thanks Adam...I like the looks of the Red with White stripe. Anybody else suggest any other color combos ?

Me too, I wanted to do the white stripe on my car but I have a black top. It would have looked odd.

When I painted my car Red back in 1993, I took the original vinyl off to repair some rust around the windshield and rear window. After I buffed the car, I installed a new top, but fast foward 16 years later and now there are more bubbles under the vinyl. So...this vinyl is coming off too for needed repairs. I have been kicking around the idea of leaving it off. A new top could always be put back on at a later time.

I would love to leave my off but the car had a aftermarket sunroof in it when I got it. That went in the trash so now I have a gaping whole to patch. I think a new top is my best bet with that one. Other wise I would do the white stripe and white interior.

I restored a 67 GTO for a buddy years ago that somone had installed a sun roof in. We went to a junkyard and found a donor car and cut a section out of the roof skin. ALOT of mig welding and plastic work took care of the hole. We actually added a vinyl top to that car, after two weeks of welding, blocking and priming...I wasn't happy with his decision to cover it up.

I looked at a few options like replace the roof skin, or find factory sun roof. Neither were easy to locate. Then I was going to add a canvas folding sun roof like they used on Demons and Dusters but I was getting prices of $800 plus for the kit. Sheet metal and filler with a vinyl top is cheaper, LOL

Do a modern twist on the burnt orange.

You could take the burnt orange and add some pearl too it. Maybe go with more of a charcoal on the roof.

I know that I spent hours and hours every night on the internet looking at different paints. I also spent a lot of time hitting the new car dealers and looking at the paints on new cars.

Do a modern twist on the burnt orange.

You could take the burnt orange and add some pearl too it. Maybe go with more of a charcoal on the roof.

I know that I spent hours and hours every night on the internet looking at different paints. I also spent a lot of time hitting the new car dealers and looking at the paints on new cars.

I considered doing mine in 05 Go-Mango which looks like a Burnt Orange pearl.

Even if it doesn't match the fender tag, I want it to be an original 1970 color, so the new Go - Mango is out. As far as FK5 looking good when it is shiny, that might be the big difference. It takes on the look of primer once it starts to fade. I have also seen it where it looks alittle more gold or a little more red, depending on how the paint is mixed.

What do you think of this color combo ? I think the wheels make it.

Attachments

• 70T3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 316
Even if it doesn't match the fender tag, I want it to be an original 1970 color, so the new Go - Mango is out. As far as FK5 looking good when it is shiny, that might be the big difference. It takes on the look of primer once it starts to fade. I have also seen it where it looks alittle more gold or a little more red, depending on how the paint is mixed.

It don't look as good once it fades but I like the color a lot.

Dart2.jpg

What do you think of this color combo ? I think the wheels make it.

Its not bad, You certainly dont see it often. I really like GY9 but its a 71 color.

Personally I would go with the stock color combo but its much easier to pick someone elses color then it is your own. Especially when you have that big rack of toners at your disposal.

GY9 is a nice color...however, I keep looking at that red car with the white stripe.

Here is mine same colour as Burntorange70's but with a black bumble bee stripe. (bad picture with steelies and no hubcaps)

I love the way that car looks with the steelies and no hub caps. I just love that look. It would look even better with some dog dish caps though.

I like Burnt Orange! And it looks great on Darts. Just my opinion.
Red is definitely a fantastic color for any car, a bit more attention grabbing, maybe by the po po too.

GY9 is a nice color...however, I keep looking at that red car with the white stripe.

340john - My original '69 340 Swinger was R4 'Charger Red' with a white stripe. My current '69 Dart is going to be the same combo since it's always been my favorite.
Yeah, red is one of those 'arrest me' colors but nothing 'pops' like a white stripe on bright red. R4 'Charger Red' looks more orange with a black stripe, but is definitely bright red when paired with a white stripe.
I say go for bright red with a white stripe and enjoy the attention!
I'll see if I can find some interesting paint/stripe combos at Mopars At The Strip this weekend and post photos next week.

-
Back