This sucks!

-

six-seven "S"

Reaction score
OK, so I ordered a Edelbrock Performer (2176) intake for my '67 273 along with a Holley 570 carb... took everything apart and started installing the new combo. The intake wont fit!! It's not the bolt angle/ pattern, it's a bulge on the bottom of the intake. I think its hitting the casting for the lifters. Also, there's about a 1/4- 1/2 inch gap around the manifold. Has anybody else encountered this problem? Anyone know how to fix it? (sorry if my technical vocabulary isn't right)....

I can't imagine it has enough of a bulge to hit the lifter valley. There's at least 3-4" there between them. I've had several edelbrock's in the past and now have a rpm air gap and even with a lifter valley tray in my 360 it clears. Did you pull the roll pins out of the block where the end seals go? If not check that. That may be what is holding it up. If their not there set the manifold back down and scrub it back and forth a little to put marks on it where it's hitting and flip it back over and you should See where it's hitting by the scrub marks on the manifold.

cant imagine hitting the lifter gally,,unles there is some defect or extra flashing from the mold that didnt get cut offf,, sounds like the wrong intake to me,,,

six-seven "S";290041 said:
OK, so I ordered a Edelbrock Performer (2176) intake for my '67 273 along with a Holley 570 carb... took everything apart and started installing the new combo. The intake wont fit!! It's not the bolt angle/ pattern, it's a bulge on the bottom of the intake. I think its hitting the casting for the lifters. Also, there's about a 1/4- 1/2 inch gap around the manifold. Has anybody else encountered this problem? Anyone know how to fix it? (sorry if my technical vocabulary isn't right)....

Can you take a couple of pics of the intake and post them?

Back when I had my first car I bought and Edelbrock LD340 manifold for it. It ran like crap. When I pulled it I noticed that the intake gaskets were compressed all along the top edge and untouched all along the bottom. The freakin manifold was cut wrong. I took it back. I haven't used another Edelbrock since, only MOPAR and Weiand.

Ummmmm..........yeah....
So I decided to follow some of your advise and put the manifold on and move it back and forth to make markings to identify the points of contact an the underside and... it went right on!!!! Yesterday it was wobbly and had about a 1/4- 1/2 " gap all the way around the manifold, today it fits. I didn't do anything different to it.... have no idea what changed... must've been some newbie mistake. I dunno.. Thanks again for the quick replies to my problem, I appreciate the expertise of all of you guys on this forum!\\:D/

aaaaah thats ok it happens to every one at one time or another,,even tho we are not all blonde we still havre a blonde moment,,,lol glad it worked out,,

come on, you can tell us that you left the 3/8 drive extension laying in the valley LOL...weird things happen, yeah?

-
Back