those that have done flaming river steering column swaps

-

blk00rt

Reaction score
I am thinking of adding a tilt wheel steering column to my dart. For those of you that have done it what all was involved.
I know you have to purchase the steering column and drop adapter, you need to purchase a new steering wheel and adapter. Is there any other parts that you need to purchase? I am not worried about the wiring issues as I know they will change to a gm style wiring. Also which column did you purchase?
is this the one you purchased? I have power steering if that makes a difference.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fla-fr30001bk/overview/make/dodge/model/dart
was their any sheet metal work required?
Thank you in advance

Here is a thought and I am not trying to push you away from flaming river, but have you tried checking with IDIDIT? We are currently working on a similar project with them. They will make you a custom column to your spec. If you are interested talk to Kellie Weaver at 517.424.0577. She is our rep and would be able to help you.

Thanks
James

Here is a thought and I am not trying to push you away from flaming river, but have you tried checking with IDIDIT? We are currently working on a similar project with them. They will make you a custom column to your spec. If you are interested talk to Kellie Weaver at 517.424.0577. She is our rep and would be able to help you.

Thanks
James
James,
Thank you, I emailed ididit yesterday and apparently no one talks over there because they told me they did not have anything that worked.
I will call Kellie later this week due to the holidays and see what they can do.
Rob

Tell Kellie that I referred you to her and she will take care of you.

Thanks
James

I just called yesterday too! They have nothing for a A body yet (Ididit). I got frustrated with calling all around and not finding anything that will bolt up to factory brackets and wiring harness. The salesman or vendors didn't know how to help me, I spent about 4 hours and didn't have any satisfaction.

I put a IDIDIT Tilt steering column with a grant wheel and adapter in my 63 dart. The biggest concern that I know now is getting the length from the cutout in the dash to the floor correct. I made the mistake of measuring for total length and I had to make a custom floor mount because I did not take the bulge of the column into consideration when measuring. I also went with the flaming river adapter. Very nice piece but I believe moog makes one a lot cheaper. Hardest part was the wiring though. I had a very hard time finding the diagram for the steering column on my dart they don't make a plug and play adapter for the wiring. I just matched up the wires and spliced them in.

View attachment DSCN0844 (Large).jpg

Tell Kellie that I referred you to her and she will take care of you.

Thanks
James

James,
Thank you I talked to Kellie today and they are about an hour and a half away from my place. I also have a friend that works there, I am going to try to drop off my steering column to them soon so they can see what they can offer.

James,
Thank you I talked to Kellie today and they are about an hour and a half away from my place. I also have a friend that works there, I am going to try to drop off my steering column to them soon so they can see what they can offer.

That is great to hear, I have been working with Kellie to build a body column for the last few months.

Thanks
James

I have used 2 aftermarket columns on my current build, the first was a Ebay purchase and was a full length column probably more what you are looking for, I ended up selling it since I decided to go with a floor shift but if you click on the link you can see what I had to do to make it work. It involved making a special size lower mount locking ring. For the Flaming River column I'm using, I welded on the OEM mounting lugs for factory under dash mounting. Either way To get something to work your going to probably get into some fabrication.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=176692

Attachments

• duster%20035.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 641
  • duster%20036.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 540
  • duster%20037.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 490
  • duster%20038.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 531
  • duster%20044.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 575
  • duster%20024.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 553
  • duster%20008.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 533
  • duster%20006.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 662
I have used 2 aftermarket columns on my current build, the first was a Ebay purchase and was a full length column probably more what you are looking for, I ended up selling it since I decided to go with a floor shift but if you click on the link you can see what I had to do to make it work. It involved making a special size lower mount locking ring. For the Flaming River column I'm using, I welded on the OEM mounting lugs for factory under dash mounting. Either way To get something to work your going to probably get into some fabrication.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=176692

Sorry don't mean to hijack here but I'm in a similar boat.

I remember seeing this mod and also am going to install a tilt column in my '69 Dart. The plan was to get one of their universal floor shift tilt columns (full length). I knew there was going to be a trick with the firewall, but the problem I'm now seeing is the overall length of the column. The way IDIDIT says to measure is from the end of the shaft to the top of the collar [ame]http://www.ididitinc.com/pdf/HowToMeasureASteeringColumn.pdf[/ame]. The longest they show is 35" in their universal. I measure the column that came out of my car and it's 37" according to that same measurement. So that makes me think that won't work.

20131215_164329.jpg

So now that I'm seeing this shorty column, I'm starting to think maybe that's the way to go. I assume you have to buy the shaft between the column and steering box separately? Without modifying my firewall, how would you suggest getting the bearing flange to work? Attach it to the original plate similar to your old setup you built? I think if I did that, then there would be a funny looking gap around the shaft where it goes through the firewall right? I'm open to some input here.

Sorry don't mean to hijack here but I'm in a similar boat.

I remember seeing this mod and also am going to install a tilt column in my '69 Dart. The plan was to get one of their universal floor shift tilt columns (full length). I knew there was going to be a trick with the firewall, but the problem I'm now seeing is the overall length of the column. The way IDIDIT says to measure is from the end of the shaft to the top of the collar http://www.ididitinc.com/pdf/HowToMeasureASteeringColumn.pdf. The longest they show is 35" in their universal. I measure the column that came out of my car and it's 37" according to that same measurement. So that makes me think that won't work.

20131215_164329.jpg

So now that I'm seeing this shorty column, I'm starting to think maybe that's the way to go. I assume you have to buy the shaft between the column and steering box separately? Without modifying my firewall, how would you suggest getting the bearing flange to work? Attach it to the original plate similar to your old setup you built? I think if I did that, then there would be a funny looking gap around the shaft where it goes through the firewall right? I'm open to some input here.

The shaft is just a 3/4" steel bar and if you look online (Speedway motors) you can find a bearing and carrier that will fit and you would just have to attach it to the factory firewall bracket. I went a little different route but the theory is the same.
attachment.php

Here's the bearing I used from speedway, there are several out there, and you'll need a couple shaft U joint couplers.
10630321_L.jpg

I spoke to Ken there the other day. He's the owner of Ididit. I mailed them a column already which they should have by the end of the week. This will expedite the process as they do not have an A body in their shop yet. I also worked with them at XV for the B/E columns they sell. In fact, I wrote most of thd directions for installation.

I spoke to Ken there the other day. He's the owner of Ididit. I mailed them a column already which they should have by the end of the week. This will expedite the process as they do not have an A body in their shop yet. I also worked with them at XV for the B/E columns they sell. In fact, I wrote most of thd directions for installation.

What year column did you send them? I have been working with them on year ranges since SEMA. I am glad to see others pushing for an a body column as well.

Thanks
James

What year column did you send them? I have been working with them on year ranges since SEMA. I am glad to see others pushing for an a body column as well.

Thanks
James
James,
I dropped my off to them on Saturday. Gave them all the details.
they said about 6 weeks for my column.

-
Back