thoughts, 67/ 74 K member?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
So my 67 is to the point that I'm considering a major rebuild on the front end, partly because I have the 74 Duster components to change to disc front brakes.

BUT

Is there any advantage to the 74 tie rod/ idler set up? Easier to get? Cheaper? Better?

I have the K out of the /6 Duster, and I've been thinking of scarfing the /6 mounts off the K, building a jig to position the original mounts, and rebuild them as per orignial 67 on the 74 K. this would get me the late idler arm/ center link setup.

And no, I don't want to "just buy" Schumaker/ other swap mounts.

Unless of course you can convince me.

Thoughts? better way?

would go with the 73 k-member, It will give you the big ball joints,you can use the big tie rod sleeves and tie rods.lower center link will gve you more clearance at oil pan,the idler arm is alot cheaper than one for a 67. Clean it up weld the seams up good and move you motor mounts then go for it.You can use the spool type motor mount which are better stonger than bisque type... !

would go with the 73 k-member, It will give you the big ball joints,you can use the big tie rod sleeves and tie rods.lower center link will gve you more clearance at oil pan,the idler arm is alot cheaper than one for a 67. Clean it up weld the seams up good and move you motor mounts then go for it.You can use the spool type motor mount which are better stonger than bisque type... !

The 67 only idler arm is EXPENSIVE!

I agree.

The 67 idler is supported only on one side to the K-frame where as the 68-76 is thru bolt and supported top and bottom. The 67 will flex more and they wear out faster. All in all, they suck.

I was actually thinking about making a jig off the old 67 K, to locate "as original mounts" because I wasn't too hip on spending the bucks for the Schumaker swap mounts. (the later K is a /6)

Of course I can convert the 67 to "big balls" just by using the later A arms, which I already have.

Well I appreciate the comments. Still thinking.....

Well the problem may have resolved itself!! Roadtrip!!

Found a late A body 318!! power disc brakes!! for (asking) 250.00. Two hours or so one way

3me3o73pe5T25Q55S5b6n72854071646218f6.jpg

You found a 67 idler arm at NAPA?! About ten years ago, I checked every auto parts around and heard the same thing at every one, "obsolete, discontinued". Ended up ordering it from Kanter, for about $80.

No they didn't "have" it but they alleged they could "get" it. If this deal I posted above "goes" THAT will be the solution--late model, V8 K put the whole thing in, mounts, disk brakes, center link 'n all.

AND who knows, if I can find a "hang on" AC dash unit for the 67, look what's on top of that 318?

-
Back