THOUGHTS ON THEE BEST HYDRAULIC LIFTERS FOR A STOUT .508 CAMMED 371???

-
Using sol lifters on hyd cams [ flat tappet ] has been done for years with no problems. The secret is to keep the lash tight, 0.006/8". If you had a failure it could have been lash adjustment or crap lifters etc. The Comp Cams Max Area lobes can be used with hyd or sol lifters.

Really, how long did the cam last?
Not trying to be funny, years back I tried solid flat tappets on a hyd grind and within 100 miles it flatten the cam and dished the lifters. Same springs, Kendall oil 10w-30 oil pressure was normal.
You have to tight lash them. Less than .010 normally. I've never done it myself, but I've seen it done for a long time on street cars successfully. I'm still not sure I'd do it though. Just run a solid cam.

Lol…..I don’t mind spending the funds, that’s why I’m asking so I can get this right the first time. Thanks!
Lot's of cams like yours running around with just a set of Comps in them.
Sure, I could just say "buy the best" or "spend the most" but that would just be an easy way to cover my *** and get you to spend more than you need to..

Have you considered sending that cam to a cam grinder like Oregon and have it reground to a solid profile?

Last edited:
The 'new' sol lifters fail just as much as the new hyd lifters. That is because they are made of Crap-anium. Since lower numbers of sol lifters are used, you hear less stories....

-
Back