thoughts ?

-

cannucky

The Guy With No Birthday
Reaction score
Car started idling rough at the lights and popping out the tailpipes , not gunshot backfires but more like a popping paper bag , I 'm thinking it's either temperature or bad fuel as it started after a 1/2 hour drive home from the gun range seems to rev fine but idles real rough in gear { not in neutral } .Any thoughts guys .
I also tried swapping the ignition box but it started doing it again after a 20 minute drive in town .
PS plugs look good no fouling and a very light purpleish tinge on the ceramic .

Fuel filter dirty?Do you still have gas tank with sender?Dirty/bad sock sucking crap?Hole/leak in fuel line maybe.

when its popping...if you took the air cleaner off is it popping through the carb?

also have you tried messing with timing any ....any change if you retard or advance the timing? mainly advance

What carb are you using? If it's a carter try pulling the idle adjustment screws and blow out the idle circuit. It sounds like dirt in the idle circuit.

Sounds like dirt in needle and seat(primary),or dirt in the idle circuit,or blown power valve.Take a log sheet.Go side to side ,one at a time.Count the turns in ,until the needle seats.Log both sides,write it down.Pull both screws out,hit those mixture screws,with a rubber tipped blowgun( hoping you have a compressor).Re seat the needles,back out to the logged settings ,side for side. My ..02.

Pops continually or just once when you step on the gas?

I 'll try to get these in order , first the tank and sender were new 4 years ago and the filter was new in august , the carb is a Holley HP950 with no choke circuit , the timing hasn't been touched and is at 15deg initial at idle in park , It starts to idle rough when I'm waiting on the light to change and then gives a muffled pop or two and seems to hesitates a little off the line but runs , it revs up with no backfires or stumbles once I get on it .
Thanks guys when the rain stops I'll look at cleaning the idle circuit and needles , sucks having a tiny 10x20 garage this time of year .

Check your float levels, Chris, when its popping and rough idling. Could be crap in the needles/seats allowing the float level to creep up too high as you're waiting at a light.

Might take a close look at the distributor cap for small cracks or carbon tracking-either one shows itself more in high humidity or rainy weather. Just a thought...

I think we're on the right track but I won't know till I get a chance to pull it off and give it a good cleaning , I thought I was being smart about a month ago by dumping a bottle of Cambodian Tires fuel stabilizer in the tank but now I'm wondering if it didn't gel and foul/shellac the guts of the carb .

-
Back