Thread sealant

-
Hylomar is good stuff on gaskets, never used it on threads.

If you have oil on the bolt or in the bolt hole, the thread sealant may not stick and seal.

Clean the bolts, de grease, and I prefer tape. No leaking tube, and near infinite shelf life. Just wrap it the correct way.

I never had much luck with Hylomar in the motorcycle repair industry.
I'm not fond of the RightStuff, on account of it really works. It's so hard to get off later. I use it very sparingly, and only on known problem areas.

I'm kinda with 69 340 GTS, from Post #15, on this particular bolt. But then I run pretty much straight water, and a bit of leakage is no big deal, and the local hard tap-water seals most leaks relatively quickly.

First, Thanks to all.

I think Jonny Dart and others are correct with operator error :)
The original question was if I used a good product.
Seems like I used a good product, I think my prep was mainly correct. I just did not follow the instruction by filling the coolant right away. My wife was putting thread sealer on the bolts and handing them to me when I was assembling. She pointed out that the leaking bolt was the first one we installed. It also was the first sealant out of the tube. Neither of us can remember if the sealant was any different for the first bolt. There were no problem with any of the other bolts. So separation in that first bit maybe??
What I left out in my prep was that I used all new bolts and cleaned them with brake cleaner (just what was in reach). I did clean all of the threads in the block with a tap per my original post so I think I had good clean thread surfaces. I also tightened with a torque wrench.
The problem bolt was driver side 2nd up from bottom that also holds the power steering bracket.
I was going to reinstall last night but work got in the way (man I need to win the lottery).
The plan for tonight is to knead the tube good, put plenty on the bolt and let it sit overnight before I do anything. I went back and read the tech sheet. It looks like you have a good seal after 4 hrs and a full pressure seal (10,000 psi) after 24 hrs.
I am sure this will solve the problem.

Thanks again…

I don't understand why any of this is necessary. I've put together a few 340s and 318s over the last 40 years and never put any sealer on any threads, except for that liquid teflon on pipe threads. And I've never had a coolant or oil leak coming from a bolt, except for those damn exhaust manifold bolts that they drilled through into the water passages! But even that has been quite rare.
That one long bold that goes through the slotted power steering bracket, water pump, timing cover and into a hole in the block that is drilled into the water jacket often has issues. Either it leaks or it seizes into the block and breaks off when you try to pull it. It is usually not an issue on a setup that has been taken care of but the potential for corrosion and electrolysis to occur is high. Many engines I've taken apart require special attention to this bolt with a shop hammer and or heat and still it may break off if you aren't careful.

-
Back