Threaded plugs in 360la block?

-

DSMRossi

Reaction score
I have a similar kit as the one below. I picked my block up from the machine shop and had to put the threaded plugs back in.

I have all installed except for one of the smaller threaded plugs and I have no idea where it goes. I have all the plugs (1 large, 2 small) in the rear of the motor, I have the one underneath the oil filter plate, and I have no idea where the last threaded plug goes in the block.

Anybody know?

JEGS Performance Products 58010: Brass Freeze Plug Kit for 1964-1992 Small Block Chrysler 318-360 | JEGS
ZEiwALXqjw83ZduXg6I4wbvOxkdic-bDx2Yt3J6hcbOP1Jy6XyyGkvRVp94k6rRoCbFEQAvD_BwE

Did you get the plug that goes "behind the plug" up there by the distributor? That is NOT something you want to forget................behind this one here

340-block-jpg.jpg

from this thread.........

340 oil galley plugs

That plug that 67Dart273 is talking about is at the end of the lifter oil gallery. There is an oiling mod to drill a small hole in the plug. This provides extra oil to the distributor gears. I think the Mod. is mentioned here on FABO. Probably not necessary, LA motors run hundreds of thousands of miles without it. But, with the luxury of a high volume oil pump in my LA motor, I drilled the hole. .027" if I recall correctly.

I found it guys - thanks

Also worth mentioning for anybody else who runs into the same thing, make SURE you have the plug in the rear main cap.

where did u find it? plug in the rear main cap?
No I was missing the one near the distributor drive

But if anybody stumbles on this thread, they need to make sure they have the press in plug under the main cap.

Another thing, the large cap on the back of the motor isn’t 1/4 or 3/8 drive, it’s somewhere in between. You’ll have to either make a tool up, or use the back of a tap if you have one that fits

But if anybody stumbles on this thread, they need to make sure they have the press in plug under the main cap.

Another thing, the large cap on the back of the motor isn’t 1/4 or 3/8 drive, it’s somewhere in between. You’ll have to either make a tool up, or use the back of a tap if you have one that fits

That is the particular "chinese" plug you found. This is also true of "modern day" SAE flare/ inverted flare/ brass fittings. "They used to be" all US wrench sizes. Often, now, the wrench sizes are "in between" some damn thing.

"Used to be" (I used to work at one!!) that any decent independent "actual" parts/ hardware store sold KEY STOCK, that is straight square shaft "key" stock. These were often very useful for "specialty" wrenches such as this LOL

This was all "in a previous life" sometime in the seventies--eighties, so for all I know, it might have just been a bad dream!!! LMFAO!!

I happened to find a big square shaft screwdriver that fit mine. Cut of the blade and used an adjustable wrench to turn the screwdriver shaft.
Chinese tolerances.... sick and tired of dealing with that.

I don't recall this plug

Sure you do LOL......the one "up in" the block in the vertical oil gallery

The plug is in the rear of the block, it is press in like a core plug , part number 3462871, it directs oil from pump out to filter, 9/16" ?, generally not removed

That big plug with the Chinese size is so tight I can’t get it out. I cut down a 3/8 extension and shaped it with an angle grinder, even with that and a torch it wouldn’t move.

What I ended up doing (with the intake out) was getting the plug by the distributor drive in with my hands. You can then tighten it through the distributor hole with an allen wrench.

I used comp air and some soapy water on the backside to make sure that big plug wouldn’t leak under pressure.

Not sure why it’s locked up in there, I’ll worry about it if I ever have to rebuild again

the plug under the main cap does not effect oil pressure as Marco said it directs oil through the filter .

-
Back