[WANTED] throttle cable bracket

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to depend on a lot of things.
What V8 and intake manifold are you installing, and what transmission are you using?
It's going to be different depending on factory or aftermarket manifold; low, mid, or high rise manifold, manual or automatic transmission; and if automatic, what style of kickdown linkage you're using...

If it's an aftermarket Holley, you'll definitely want Holley part #20-7. It corrects the throttle /kickdown stud to the Mopar location for perfect alignment of both. Well worth its price. It's not necessary if you're using an OEM Mopar carb, though.

This is going to depend on a lot of things.
What V8 and intake manifold are you installing, and what transmission are you using?
It's going to be different depending on factory or aftermarket manifold; low, mid, or high rise manifold, manual or automatic transmission; and if automatic, what style of kickdown linkage you're using...
It's a factory intake and 4 spd transmission.

If you're using the 1965 273 intake, you're looking for 2465986. It is the same one used in 1966. It looks like this:

100_0839-jpg.jpg

If driving the thing is more important than being correct, based on the throttle location shown in that picture, I think you'd be OK using a 340 bracket. It mounts under the intake bolts. One caveat with that idea: 1964-'65 intake manifold bolt holes are at a different angle than '66-up. As such, the lateral position will be off a bit with the 340 bracket (it'll be outboard toward the valve cover). A large vise and a little persuasion would likely overcome that issue. Any early A-body guys that know I'm wrong, please chime in and correct me.

A later 360 or 318-4V bracket would work as well, just make sure it's from a four-barrel engine. Reproduction 340-4V brackets can be had for about $30.

Due to the different intake bolt spacing and extreme carb height on my W2 340, I had to modify an existing 4V bracket, a $5 swap-meet part. It's shown in the photo below. I believe it's a '73 340 bracket.

A_bracket.jpg

It doesn't much look like that anymore, but it works. Visible to the extreme left (with rust on it) is the Holley 20-7 adapter bracket. My car is also a 4-speed, so kickdown wasn't a concern--but proper throttle cable location was. Without it, the cable probably won't fully open the throttle without fiddling with the cable's location in its clamp. This setup bolted together like it was OE using a Slant Six throttle cable:

100_3437.JPG

Well, at least the four speed eliminates the need for kickdown linkage.
The rest still depends on the factory intake- the '66 and earlier 273 Commando/Charger intakes used a bracket that bolts to a cast-in boss on the #5/7 runner.
1676818789975.png

kick-down-64-66-273-904-jpg-jpg.jpg

The later 340/360 manifolds will use this bracket:
mancini-racing-throttle-cable-bracket-17.jpg

Mancini Racing - Throttle Cable Bracket

And, as previously stated , the carb will require the Mopar lever adapter and stud, available from various sources such as:
Holley Throttle Lever Extension
Holley Carburetor Throttle Lever Stud

If you're using the 1965 273 intake, you're looking for 2465986. It is the same one used in 1966. It looks like this:

View attachment 1716052369

If driving the thing is more important than being correct, based on the throttle location shown in that picture, I think you'd be OK using a 340 bracket. It mounts under the intake bolts. One caveat with that idea: 1964-'65 intake manifold bolt holes are at a different angle than '66-up. As such, the lateral position will be off a bit with the 340 bracket (it'll be outboard toward the valve cover). A large vise and a little persuasion would likely overcome that issue. Any early A-body guys that know I'm wrong, please chime in and correct me.

A later 360 or 318-4V bracket would work as well, just make sure it's from a four-barrel engine. Reproduction 340-4V brackets can be had for about $30.

Due to the different intake bolt spacing and extreme carb height on my W2 340, I had to modify an existing 4V bracket, a $5 swap-meet part. It's shown in the photo below. I believe it's a '73 340 bracket.

View attachment 1716052361

It doesn't much look like that anymore, but it works. Visible to the extreme left (with rust on it) is the Holley 20-7 adapter bracket. My car is also a 4-speed, so kickdown wasn't a concern--but proper throttle cable location was. Without it, the cable probably won't fully open the throttle without fiddling with the cable's location in its clamp. This setup bolted together like it was OE using a Slant Six throttle cable:

View attachment 1716052367
Beat me to the punch, NoCar340 !

View attachment 1716052369

View attachment 1716052361

View attachment 1716052367
Hey tks for all the info.it's a 72 318 with a factory 4bbl intake.
Ted

Well, at least the four speed eliminates the need for kickdown linkage.
The rest still depends on the factory intake- the '66 and earlier 273 Commando/Charger intakes used a bracket that bolts to a cast-in boss on the #5/7 runner.
View attachment 1716052375

View attachment 1716052379
The later 340/360 manifolds will use this bracket:
View attachment 1716052380
Mancini Racing - Throttle Cable Bracket

And, as previously stated , the carb will require the Mopar lever adapter and stud, available from various sources such as:
Holley Throttle Lever Extension
Holley Carburetor Throttle Lever Stud
so will this bracket work on a 72 318?

so will this bracket work on a 72 318?
Which bracket are you referring to?
And we still don't know which "factory" manifold you have (there were no factory four barrels on '72 318s, so yours has either an early 273 manifold or a later 340/360 manifold on it. Or aftermarket.).

There is a sticky thread in the fuel forums that contain photos, part numbers, and suppliers. .

Last edited:
Which bracket are you referring to?
And we still don't know which "factory" manifold you have (there were no factory four barrels on '72 318s, so yours has either an early 273 manifold or a later 340/360 manifold on it. Or aftermarket.).
ok this is what I came up with after some research.4173915 1978-80 360-1978-83 318/4 Bbl Cast Iron.

ok this is what I came up with after some research.4173915 1978-80 360-1978-83 318/4 Bbl Cast Iron.
Okay, you can use the Mancini bracket I linked to above. Don't forget the carb lever adapter and throttle stud if you don't already have them.
Since what you have is a spread-bore manifold, and you want to put a square-bore carb on it, be sure to use the Holley sealing plate #9006 to avoid potential sealing issues.
Weiand 9006 Weiand Sealing Plate

Okay, you can use the Mancini bracket I linked to above. Don't forget the carb lever adapter and throttle stud if you don't already have them.
Since what you have is a spread-bore manifold, and you want to put a square-bore carb on it, be sure to use the Holley sealing plate #9006 to avoid potential sealing issues.
Weiand 9006 Weiand Sealing Plate
Tks for all the advice from you and other members,I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back