Throttle Cable Length

-

aprfct0

1969 Notch
Reaction score
I was wondering what length throttle cable everyone is using with there small blocks with a four barrel. I put a 1" carb spacer on and my factory one is too short. I am planning on buying one from lokar with there throttle cable bracket. Im running an edelbrock carb btw. Thanks for your help in advance.

Anybody??? I would measure the one I have but the car is not accessible right now.

My buddy just bought the Lokar bracket from Jeg's. I read a post on here somewhere that says the stock cable will work, if not get the Lokar cable I guess you can shorten them pretty easy. stock should be around 20 inches

I went with a Lokar cable for my build with a 4bbl Holley. It comes at 24 inches which is way more than enough. I think all you need is about 14 inches. Per the instructions, you just cut the sleeve and inner cable to size with some angle wire cutters. It was easy as pie and looks good in my opinion.

319861_10151427850485336_1853925014_n.jpg

Most common issue posted here is the cables total travel. "cant get wide open throttle"
Measure twice cut once? no, measure several times before cutting anything.
Otherwise this may apply,"Cut it off twice and its still too short"
Shade tree rigging at the throttle is second only to shade tree rigging at the brakes.
Hope this helps

^^ Seriously, I'd hate to loose throttle on the highway or uphill! The other benefit of the Lokar is that it's a double return spring.

To make sure you get full travel as RedFish mentioned, pull the cable from the firewall side tight as you measure to ensure the gas pedal is all the way up.

I bought the black Lokar throttle cable and kick down cable, along with their mounting bracket and double return springs. We installed it last summer. I can't say enough good things about it. It installed per the instructions like a dream, and my throttle and kick down work as smooth as butter.

Best thing I did to the car last year.

Nothing beats the factory cables. they come in several lengths. Different motors and vehicle types and models. Slant six being the longest.

I always made my own. The Duster with Indy top end is from a 87 truck extended. ,

The blower motor in the truck still retained Throttle pressure;

The pics below are the difference between the blue 2bbl and orange 4bbl. As you can see its just a matter of standing the cable holder up and move it forward about 1 inch.

My son can modify your original 2bbl bracket and top rod for $45 shipped back to you. You will only have to drill a hole closer on the trans lever. They will match the factory 4bbl. The orange one pictured has a top rod made here. the brackets look original also . everything is tig welded for strength. PM me for Phone # . They are in stock but need your old cores for exchange. Steve

Attachments

• DSCF0039[1].jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 1,302
  • DSCF0040[1].jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,016
  • DSCF0041[1].jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 1,052
  • DSCF0094[1].jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 975
  • steve%20027[1].jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 903
  • DSCF2912.jpg