Throttle linkage kickdown bracket questions

-

Peter

barracudalover
Reaction score
Happy 4th of July everyone! Rebuilt my 318 replaced the stock 2 barrel with a edelbrock 500 cfm thunder on a edelbrock performer intake. since the carb is wider the throttle linkage and kick down cable don't line up well any longer. It was recommended i get a throttle lever kit! I did helped a little but also hurt because it widens out the connecting even further. If someone else who has updated in this manner could tell me what I'm missing here I sure would appreciate it. I've attached some photos hopefully!

IMG_0765.JPG

IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

You need the 4v throttle cable bracket, yours is a 2v.

2v
2vlinkage.jpg

4v
4vbracket.jpg

OR.....you can try and modify the bracket you have.

X2....4bbl throttle bracket.....

MF224.jpg

...and you need a return spring on your throttle pressure (aka: kickdown) linkage

upload_2017-7-4_9-54-1.jpeg

Thanks! Are those readily available? Does that 4V also bring the throttle cable forward a little? I am short wants to pull open the thottle. I have the return spring from the spring 2 barrel assembly I'm hoping that will work?

Thanks! Are those readily available? Does that 4V also bring the throttle cable forward a little? I am short wants to pull open the thottle. I have the return spring from the spring 2 barrel assembly I'm hoping that will work?
Yes...bracket is available aftermarket, and yes it moves the cable forward, closer to the carb. 2 bbl spring should work fine. My 2bbl throttle cable worked fine with my AFB.

273KickdownCorrect.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks alot! Spinning my wheels most of the weekend on this. Its nice to have a plan!

I'm doing this exact thing. I purchased the Mancini bracket and it still has an offset. How did you work this out? Do you have pictures of the finished product?

I'm doing this exact thing. I purchased the Mancini bracket and it still has an offset. How did you work this out? Do you have pictures of the finished product?

Yes, the angle of the 2bbl rod is different than the 4bbl rod. Some folks reuse the 2bbl rod while some find a 4bbl rod.
Here's a thread that shows a comparison between a 2bbl rod and 4bbl rod.
[WANTED] - 4-bbl kick-down rod

When lifting my carb with a 1" spacer, I had trouble getting the kick-down to kick down when it was supposed to, it wasn't shifting right. I put a nut and bolt through the slot behind the throttle rod and adjusted its position until it functioned properly. From the amount you have your kick-down adjusted all the way out it looks like, you may want to try this trick. I also had to use a return spring which I made a speparate bracket for to pull the kick-down lever forward to hit the nut and bolt. It was like a 1/4" or a 5/16" bolt/nut combination with washers on both sides. I can shoot a pic if your interested. I couldn't get it to shift correctly any other way.

Thanks for your reply, I found another thread on here that used a Lokar throttle and kick down cable bracket. So I decided to try it. Here's a pic of the finished install. Won't let me upload a pic, but go to Lokar.com for more info.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the pic uploaded correctly, I don't see it. Does anyone else see it? It may just be my computer or something. Thanks.

Not set up yet. Still up on jack stands getting a couple other items completed...

-
Back