Throwing around a couple dangerous ideas!

-

CrazyManInCincy

Smile and Nod, Smile and Nod
Reaction score
This forum has me looking at Gen III for my early barracuda. Where the bad ideas come in is I have a 06 Daytona Charger I bought new that has a 5.7 and nag1. I have always wanted to do an engine upgrade on that car as well so now would be a good reason.

The motor has 99,000 on it could use a refresh due to the “Hemi Tick”. If your removing the heads and cam to replace the lifters you might as well upgrade them.

Would it be reasonable to rebuild my 5.7 for the barracuda or just buy a crate 6.4? From what I’ve looked at the cost would be pretty close. The other bad idea is wanting to sell my children and put a red eye motor in the charger.

I do know I want to stay away from my Nag1 for the barracuda due to limp mode and just getting the electronics figured out. The charger tranny I will look more into when that time comes.

Word of warning I know just enough about working on cars to be dangerous and not enough to fully understand what I’m doing. So if I sound like an idiot that is why. I’d gladly take any and all suggestions. This forum is such a bad influence.

I think most of us know just enough to be dangerous so you are in good company. If you do decide to dig into that Charger either for it or the Barracuda then a head upgrade during the build would be a good thing. Dadogedkid has a set of Eagle heads for sale on here that would be a good upgrade.
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/eagle-hemi-5-7-parts.433629/#post-1972522074

I saw those and almost bought them but I’m still just in the planning phase.

I like when people start with " I know just enough to be dangerous" because Ya know it's gonna be entertaining and better yet, You learn from their mistakes ! :)
Jus kidding, with all the help on this board, I'm sure You'll pull it off.

I like when people start with " I know just enough to be dangerous" because Ya know it's gonna be entertaining and better yet, You learn from their mistakes ! :)
Jus kidding, with all the help on this board, I'm sure You'll pull it off.

I’ve learned from watching my father and him letting me try first. Then he would guide me if I failed. So if I do go forward I will be picking a lot of brains around here. It just comes down to $$$ like everything else in this world.

I love Gen three, I would trade the Charger for something that cost the bare minimum to drive and use the money for an new aluminum block deal for the Cuda... But then again, I like to do things the completey wrong way too, sometimes.

I love Gen three, I would trade the Charger for something that cost the bare minimum to drive and use the money for an new aluminum block deal for the Cuda... But then again, I like to do things the completey wrong way too, sometimes.

Charger is paid for and is number 1993 of 4000 in that color. I bought it with 5 miles on it.

712C41AE-1D93-46C1-80B8-33A1EDCB532D.jpeg
607848E2-D60A-4176-A508-DCF10482CEF1.jpeg
D124BF93-4F26-4245-AFF5-D02BC14DB17F.jpeg

Early Barracuda, eh. I see a really long project with a lotta over-runs and a really long learning curve, and a lotta,lotta costs. Your wife will begin to resent the lack of quality time you spend with the kids, and the wedding bed will grow cold. In the end, I see a river of tears, and the world may not still be here when/if you get finished.
Or,maybe you could just farm it all out.
In any case, I'll subscribe

An early A body is difficult to install a Gen III Hemi in. You have to have an entirely new front suspension like an HDK or Alterkation, and then you have to replace the inner front fender aprons with flat sheet metal to clear the heads because the new Hemi is so wide. I have been tinkering with a 5.7 Hemi in my 70 Duster, along with a 545RFE trans. I've got an 06 motor with 6K miles on it, but I am out of love with the whole Gen III thing, and will probably put all that stuff up for sale soon and go back to a small block with a 4 speed. Best of luck, and NICE Charger!

just my opinion, but this will probably not go as planned. in the end youll have at best, an early barracuda thats hacked up, well over your anticipated budget and few will understand the apeal and a beautiful charger thats no longer original.
At worst, two cars sitting in the backyard under tarps, too far in to go back, to far back to go forward.
Monetarily speaking, youll be upside down & total value loss on both, probably divorced and perhaps even kicked out of the country by your nieghbors...lol
ymmv :)

Early Barracuda, eh. I see a really long project with a lotta over-runs and a really long learning curve, and a lotta,lotta costs. Your wife will begin to resent the lack of quality time you spend with the kids, and the wedding bed will grow cold. In the end, I see a river of tears, and the world may not still be here when/if you get finished.
Or,maybe you could just farm it all out.
In any case, I'll subscribe

It's a great dream tho, and with deep enough pockets, someone out there could pull it off. Maybe it's you?

See this is why I ask the wise ones before I bit off more then I could chew. Pockets are not that deep. With my fathers recent passing he did have some things in place for his kids. The barracuda for sure is going to get upgrades for a Route 66 trip my dad always wanted to take that I am going to do.

The charger has been waiting 13yrs for Couple things that always got put on hold with life and kids.

Last edited:
An early A body is difficult to install a Gen III Hemi in. You have to have an entirely new front suspension like an HDK or Alterkation, and then you have to replace the inner front fender aprons with flat sheet metal to clear the heads because the new Hemi is so wide. I have been tinkering with a 5.7 Hemi in my 70 Duster, along with a 545RFE trans. I've got an 06 motor with 6K miles on it, but I am out of love with the whole Gen III thing, and will probably put all that stuff up for sale soon and go back to a small block with a 4 speed. Best of luck, and NICE Charger!

Thank you for the great info! I have been talking with RMS about doing the whole front and rear but before I ordered I wanted to play with a few motor ideas. Good luck with the duster! I’ve been looking for one that’s not all hacked up or rusted out. The decent ones are going for some big money!

just my opinion, but this will probably not go as planned. in the end youll have at best, an early barracuda thats hacked up, well over your anticipated budget and few will understand the apeal and a beautiful charger thats no longer original.
At worst, two cars sitting in the backyard under tarps, too far in to go back, to far back to go forward.
Monetarily speaking, youll be upside down & total value loss on both, probably divorced and perhaps even kicked out of the country by your nieghbors...lol
ymmv :)

Hahaha!! The barracuda was my late fathers so the value will always be high for me. The charger has been with me through some hard times so it’s here to stay.

Every time a strange car sits on the street for more then a day they always ask if it’s mine already. I appreciate the opinion! I always like to bounce ideas off of people so they reel me back in.

Those cars were good cruisers as born, they don't need much to do well in this present century, just simple upgrades and modern tires.
For a lil pep consider supercharging; turbos are a wonderful addition to a fresh smogger-teen, and won't destroy the car.Plus you can run hi-way gears and lo-stalls, for a nice comfortable cruise, while roasting the tires at will.

Those cars were good cruisers as born, they don't need much to do well in this present century, just simple upgrades and modern tires.
For a lil pep consider supercharging; turbos are a wonderful addition to a fresh smogger-teen, and won't destroy the car.Plus you can run hi-way gears and lo-stalls, for a nice comfortable cruise, while roasting the tires at will.

The previous owner put air shocks on the car for “Drag racing” so it’s a little rough. I replaced all the bushings and tie rods in the front end it still likes to float going down the road. I like the idea of having a more stable ride and tighten everything up. Nothing is set in stone yet. Just planning and researching right now.

Hmmm forced induction you say. Interesting!

I sometimes wish I had been better funded when I began my project in 1997. Cuz then I wouldda gone turbos no questions about it. But my system wouldda been different, it starts with a remote mounted turbo.

-
Back