Thrust bearing failure

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
I just disassembled my 408 and found the thrust bearing heavily worn. My thrust bearing surface on my Eagle crank is fried as well as the bearing. I had no problem with the flexplate or converter fitting in the hub of the crank when I built the engine 2 years ago. Although you can see where the hub of the converter has bottomed out in the cranksaft female end. Any ideas? I'm afraid my crank is fried. Can it be machined and run an oversize thrust bearing, or do I have to bite the bullet and get a new crank. This is getting depressing.:angry7:

Have you checked the drive shaft? As a drive shaft thats too long puts pressure on the transmission out put and in put shafts and this will load the crank. Also too it will load the rear pinion brg. Just thoughts that we've run across before. Or the wrong pinion angle and the driveshaft getting pushed too far forward when in the movement range.

For the price of fixing, you can buy a new one if it's a cast unit. So long as you have the balance card, a shop can re-balance it easilly too. How did the rest of the bearings look?

-
Back