tick in a 6.1 Hemi engine

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that has a 2007 SRT8 with the 6.1 Hemi in it and he has a small ticking noise that comes and goes at different times on the driver side. It has 70000 miles on it and it has been babied since new. oil has been changed every 2500-3000 miles and so on. It doesn't do it all the time. sometimes hot and sometimes cold. has anyone had this problem before or can give me any info on this. One guy told him it was a rocker arm but I don't see how. Any info would be appreciated. Bill

They don't make 'em like they use to.......

timing chain recall was on the 5.7 hemi. I did read where a couple of people had the engine blow due to a valve problem though.

On my 2010 Ram 5.7, the studs for the exhaust manifold were broken. They switched them to stainless. Just a thought!

i seem to recall an issue with the piston squirters causing noise on the 6.1.

Squirters make noise but its not really a tick. What weight oil is he using? A lot of 6.1 guys run 15w40 rotella in summer and 5w40 in winter. I think factory calls for 0w40.

I had an 06 Hemi Ram, although a 5.7, that developed a tick at around 60k. I tried using various oils and weights, synthetics, etc. You want to know what finally cured it? 1/3 of a quart of lucas oil stabilizer every oil change. Never came back after that, and I drove it another 35k before it got stolen.

Sounded to me like a lifter tick but like the OP, it would only happen every now and then(lighter oils made it happen more frequently). I'd give it a shot.

FWIW my stepfather bought an 03 Ram and has ticked from day one. I thought it was an Injector. He has over 75000 miles on it without issue.

yeah, that's the consensus I am running into. I called the dealer and they told me that the Hemi's are good for that. Told me that unless it is doing it all the time and gets worse, they wouldn't mess with it. Called it a hemi tick.

my 06 charger srt8 had a tick sense the day it was new. I did inertia cam, ported heads , new lifters, push rods. timing chain still sounds about the same. My buddies jeep does it too."stock" I think it is characteristic of the motor.

Yeep, my Hemi Challenger has done it since day one. Mostly on the 5.7's but sometimes on other Hemis. It's the Hemi tick. Its fine!

Talked to Sam again tonight and he has told me that he has pinned the noise down to a certain time frame. He is running 0-40W oil. synthetic. he told me he can start it up, run it to work for 15 minutes or so and when he turns it off and let it sit for 10 minutes, restarts it that's when it does it. it is more of a knock instead of a tick. he says it does it for about a minute or two and stops. If he shuts it off and then starts it after a minute or so, it wont do it but after about 10 minutes, it knocks. I told him to do it the next time and run the idle up some and see what it does. I also told him to go to 5-40W oil and try that. will see what he says.

Sounds a little like a problem with the anti-drain back valve in the oil filter but you'd think it would do it on the initial start up as well.

-
Back