Ticking from drivers side wheel

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
I have a ticking coming from the drivers side wheel, it's probably the wheel bearing. Is this an easy replace at home?

Front driver's side as far as I can tell. Discs from a 73 Swinger. Rear is 8.75 SG but that's not making any noise. I have rallye rimes with centercaps and rings...
Trim rings can do it too! I forgot about them. Take them off one at a time, see if it goes away.
If that's the problem, tape around the circumference, covering the tabs that hold them on.

Had a similiar problem on mine once. Turned out to be the center cap was a little loose from the tire show not tightening it all the way when they mounted my tires. Didn't show for a few weeks though

X2 (3?) (whatever) on the centercap. Them caps and trim rings can be noisy little buggers and can move quite a bit. I've seen trim rings and hubcaps slice off valve stems.

This could be ALOT of things. Ive had my dust sheild come loose and make a ticking, my driveway is rocks and ticking can occur from a rock getting lodged in somewhere in the wheel. Your wheel bearings could be shot. Does it occur at any speed? maybe you can find a parking lot and have a buddy drive at like 5mph and walk along side?

Turned out to be a loose center cap... but now when I drive the car for more than 5 minutes I get a high pitch whining at slow speeds. Braking does not change the whining... Maybe now it's the wheel bearings? lol

-
Back