ticking like a sewing machine

-
Reaction score
I bought my Duster in November, 2 days later tranny took a crap. it was replaced with a stock 904 (still chirps from 2nd to 3rd). the guy that i bought it from said it was mainly a race track car. on Craigs list ad said "Duster 360 MSD ignition, new duel flowmaster exhaust" plus other non engine stuff. i tried to get info out of him and he said he would track down his buddies friend who did the engine work. I got nothing from that. it has more than a stock cam as it idles rough but strong at 600 rpm in gear. the problem is that the engine ticks. most likely a lifter. you see i had the oil changed last week 15-45 Rotell and then an oil additive to help lubricate the upper cylinders. this was all fine for about 1 week on the oil change until i got on it on the straight away 1 mile from home. i drive it daily but want to be able to beat on it. what kind of lifters should i replace it with. also is there any way to ID the cam without removing it. i plan to pull the intake to get to the lifters if possible but dont want to tear the engine all the way down. THANKS

I would make sure the “tick” is not coming from a header leak before you tear into the engine...just my 2 cents.

Yeah, and make sure it's not a solid lifter cam that needs the valves set.

You didn't buy that Duster in Central Pa by any chance did you? I know a guy that sold one around November and the discription/BS sounds familiar.
Two good points already brought up, you need to track down the tick a little tighter. Pull the valve covers and look for loose rockers, if you haven't already, see if you have adjustable rockers...plus you'll get to see how "fresh" this engine might actually be. Let us know what you find.

Find the source of the sound (tick) first.

If it turns out to be a lifter, try marvel mystery oil.
If it's just a minor tick, i would run the motor for at least 3 oil changes using a quart of marvel in every oil change.
If it has anything to do with it sticking due to being dirty or varnish it will most likely go away.

bought the duster in Medina Ohio. it was supposed to be a street strip runner.
i used a broom handle to listen to the tick and it is louder on the drivers side but not the exhaust. i will pull the valve covers and go from there. my buddy that did some work on it seems to think that a bearing may have let loose because my oil pressure is not as steady as it was before the last oil change 2 weeks ago. when he drained the oil it was gray/silver and the filter was unusually heavy and the oil was changed 2 months before that. starting at step 1. thanks

-
Back