Ticking Noise Coming From Transmission Driving Me Crazy

-
if your not going to try and at least check the dust shield and such,why are you even posting here?if your taking it to a mech. for everything,and not even gonna try to fix it,why ask?

if your not going to try and at least check the dust shield and such,why are you even posting here?if your taking it to a mech. for everything,and not even gonna try to fix it,why ask?

I'm trying to educate myself and gather info at the moment because I've been swindled multiple times before. As I said in "Welcome Wagon", I'm starting from scratch and just bought "Auto Repair For Dummies". I'm working up to doing it myself. Also, I want to be able to direct someone else to the problem - otherwise it seems it all goes to expensive **** (excuse my language) and I'm being charged for this, that and the other. Then I dive around for a week and the problem's not been solved. So I'm here trying to do things differently.

To sum it up (obviously your comment rattled me a bit): I'm exasperated and alone and I'd like to be part of a community of Mopar experts/lovers and get extra input and advice.:)

Since you are real close to member Krazykuda I think you should take it to him, Karl will be able to help you out I'm sure and you will learn a lot....shoot him a PM....it's usually easier to diagnose this in person than trying to explain it over the interweb....

Thanks! I definitely will contact him!

I'm trying to educate myself and gather info at the moment because I've been swindled multiple times before. As I said in "Welcome Wagon", I'm starting from scratch and just bought "Auto Repair For Dummies". I'm working up to doing it myself. Also, I want to be able to direct someone else to the problem - otherwise it seems it all goes to expensive **** (excuse my language) and I'm being charged for this, that and the other. Then I dive around for a week and the problem's not been solved. So I'm here trying to do things differently.
That reply sounded harsh to me too, but he's right. You do need to have someone remove the transmission dust shield. They are known for making a clicking noise, and it is only 4 bolts to remove. They should also try to see if you have a cracked flex plate at the same time, since it's right behind the dust shield. Very easy and inexpensive to do.

Okay! Apparently it's the universal bolt. I was shown it needed to be greased badly as it was screwed in incorrectly. I'll try to take a picture. Gonna get my hands dirty (first time!) and attempt to grease it myself.

Wow, you just invented a new item for me to send an apprentice to get!

"Hey Cubbie, go up 10 flights of stairs and grab the universal bolt out of the gang box! It's right next to the board stretcher. Hurry up!"

:laughing:

Wow, you just invented a new item for me to send an apprentice to get!

"Hey Cubbie, go up 10 flights of stairs and grab the universal bolt out of the gang box! It's right next to the board stretcher. Hurry up!"

:laughing:

That's just downright mean. I like it!

Since you are real close to member Krazykuda I think you should take it to him, Karl will be able to help you out I'm sure and you will learn a lot....shoot him a PM....it's usually easier to diagnose this in person than trying to explain it over the interweb....

Yes, bring it down, I can give it a listen.

I'm about a half hour from downtown if traffic is good...

Kind of does... those are the kind that any crescent wrench will fit.

Not if all you have is a metric crescent wrench. :D

If I had a ujoint making noises like the OP described it would get fired and I'd hire a new one, not grease it.
Well ok, I might grease it to get a couple of days out of it till I had a new one/two ready to go in.

Oh and to the OP, a ujoint generally makes noises that are about 3-4 times faster than the tires turn.
Also another dead giveaway is if the driveline goes CLANG! with and automatic trans when put in gear or shifted from forward to reverse, or vise versa.
Just for future reference.

Ok guys, she met up with me at the local cruise tonight and we went for a quick ride around the parking lot. I heard the noise, but cannot tell what it is.

It's a light "fluttering" noise. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from as it was moving when we heard it.

It's not a loose flex plate as that is a much stronger knock type of noise, and I doubt that it's a loose inspection cover for the converter.

What could make a light flutter noise in the trans or close to that location?

I didn't think of it until after I got home, but I should have had her shift into neutral when we heard it to see if it went away. Maybe she can try that and report back to us if it goes away in neutral. It has to be moving to hear it, and you can start to hear it about 20 -30 mph.

It is a very nice car, black on black 71 Dart with very clean interior and nice paint. I looked underneath and she has an 8 3/4" axle to boot. Factory v-8 car with A/C that's been converted to R-134 A refrigerant.

Thanks Karl for updating everyone!

"Flutter" is a perfect adjective to describe it. A very annoying flutter. Wasn't there before I had my trans meddled with by multiple mechanics. But––could be anything. I'll try putting it in neutral & listening later this afternoon.

No, I didn't notice any vibration that would indicate a bad u-joint.

Could it be a fluid supply problem, like sucking air but not able to feel it fluid/air being sucked up type flutter?

An exhaust leak that opens under load.

Trans mount maybe.

No tire bubbles.

Are you pretty sure it couldn't be a dry ujoint that isn't trashed yet?

Just trying to cover a few of the not so ordinary possibilities now.

Put it in neutral & listened hard. Can't really hear unless I get under the wheel & then I hear it faintly. But loudest when the engine's working the hardest i.e. accelerating & up slopes etc.

So...does the flutter sound like it is air related, or maybe a fluid noise, or maybe even metalic in nature? It wouldn't surprise me if it had a loose plug.

-
Back