Tie Rod ends & Adjusters ?s

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
I've updated info as to what will swap. See post 13.

Thinking of ordering some front end parts & want to check to be sure I'm right about a few things.

Planning to swap my KH SBP discs onto my 64 Barracuda. It's my understanding that the larger (B Body?) tie rod ends will bolt up to the factory disc lower ball joints & my original V8 center link. So, if I want to use the larger tie rod ends & adjusters I just order B Body stuff? What years? Looked at some parts on line & saw that the B (or might have been C) Body tie rod ends listed a length of 4"+ & the adjusting sleeves pictured were a lot shorter than the A Body stuff.

So, I need or can use the following stuff, correct?

64 to 72 upper ball joints
65 to 72 disc brake lower ball joints
uncertain year B Body tie rod ends & sleeves? Should I just stick to the A Body size?

Noticed that the Advance Auto website lists the same part number for some Moog & TRW parts. Also, they have up to 20% off through today & free shipping on orders over $75.

You may want to check out RockAuto. I have been buying a lot of parts from them at far cheaper than any other parts places.
You will need to check prices and compare.
I can hook you up with a 5% discount code for RockAuto so PM me if you want it.

Why not just get the correct a-body parts? Make life easier, and you'll never wear them out in this lifetime. I see no reason to get the bigger ones.

You may want to check out RockAuto. I have been buying a lot of parts from them at far cheaper than any other parts places.
You will need to check prices and compare.
I can hook you up with a 5% discount code for RockAuto so PM me if you want it.

I've been checking Rock Auto too. Trying to see what'll be the best price in the end. With the 20% discount the price comes out about the same & the free shipping will probably make it cheaper. I'll PM you for the code but people post them on here from time to time.

Just looked a Rock Auto & they list a different tie rod end for a 1965 A Body & a 1970 A Body. Price difference is about $32 more for the 65 part. :shock: I thought they were interchangeable. Something I don't know about? The adjusting sleeve is the same for both cars.

Okay, I found out that there was a change between the 69 & 70 model years. Anybody know what the difference is or what I should use? My disk brakes came from a 1970 to 72 car (can't remember for sure). What parts do I need? Now I'm totally confused. :tongue3:

Took some digging but I think I've found the answer. The threaded portion of the early tie rod ends is .060" shorter. Taper & other specs look the same. I see no reason the parts shouldn't interchange.

i think the C body tie rods are the same as A body units, as a bonus they're beefier and much stronger.

Figured this info might be useful for everybody, so here's what I found out.

This info came from a Federal Mogul Jobber catalog.

A = The length of the threaded portion of the tie rod end
B = The thread size on the portion that the adjusting sleeve threads on to
C = The diameter at the top of the tapered portion of the stud
D = The diameter at the bottom of the tapered portion of the stud

1960 to 1969 A Body #ES319R & ES319L
A = 3.940"
B = 9/16-18
C = 0.554"
D = 0.626"
Taper = 1.5/FT

1970 to 1972 A Body #ES401R & ES401L
A = 4.000"
B = 9/16-18
C = 0.554"
D = 0.626"
Taper = 1.5/FT

C Body stuff depends somewhat on year/model. Here's what you need to swap onto the A Body.

Tie rod ends #ES352R & ES355L
A = 4.000"
B = 11/16-18
C = 0.558"
D = 0.626"
Taper = 1.5FT

A Bodies all use the same tie rod sleeves. Tie rod sleeve specs are as follows.

A Body #ES319S
Length = 8.25"
OD = 0.950"

C Body #ES440S
Length = 8.12"
OD = 0.880"

I see no reason why the later tie rod ends couldn't be used on the early cars. The dimensions are VERY close. It also looks like the C Body parts would work on the A Body (I've read that this can be done). It looks odd that the C body sleeves are smaller in OD than the A body sleeves. The diagram was generic, but indicated the diameter in the middle of the sleeve. Don't know, the C Body parts might be different/larger on the threaded ends.

I've used the C body tie rod ends on 2 early A body's, '64 valiant and '64 dart, a friend is putting them in his '72 valiant today as well.

tie rods #ES352R & ES355L and C Body sleeve #ES440S

I like the rockauto.com prices and the Raybestos professional grade parts.

Rockauto also has parts for those KH discs; pistons, calipers, pads, hoses, etc.

-
Back