TIE ROD ENDS and other questions

-

cgray521

Reaction score
The back story is I am putting a 440 n a 67 Valiant. Most of the BBP disc brake swap is complete. Problem is the car calls for ES319 tie rod ends and the parts in the swap came from '72 and '74 cars that call for ES401 ends. Is it as simple as 401 outers and 319 inners? The adjustment sleeves are the same, and the specs between the two rod ends are super close. Which way did you do it? I do not know what the spindles/rotors came off of, but best guess is a 74ish Dart Swinger. Also I want this car to ride high, (think 70's style). Which torsion bars should I try to find? Two more questions...Anyone have the contact info for the guy on FABO who makes and sells the 4 to 2 bolt master cylinder adapters? And what size/type of master cylinder are you using? I have Ford 8.8 disc brakes out back. Thanks in advance to anyone with information.

Interesting question on the tie rod ends. 319s on the early Mopars, 401s on the later cars. Both cars take the 319 adjusting sleeves. The 319s are 3x s the price of the 401s....not sure why. In the typical mopar slider caliper disk brake swap mod, the outer TRE goes into the later A, lower BJ assy....that bolts to the disk spindle assy. Ive always used a 401.

So what is the difference between the two TREs???????? any moog experts out there? I wrote Moog....I'm awaiting for an answer.

Now I'm scratching my head......is there a geometry difference between the 319 and 401s???????? I think the taper is the same angle.

DAMMIT! Now OCD is kicking in! I gotta go measure parts tomorrow! lol

Just compared the two. It looks like both have the same dimensions (taper, length..etc.). However, it looks like the 319 has ~ 5 deg. more bend.

That is, the angle between the threads centerline and the taper centerline.
401 ~ 85 degrees. 319 ~ 80 degrees.

either should work but i thought the size of the ball and housing was slightly larger on the later units

-
Back