Tie Rod Ends... Drums vs +'73 Disks

-

Jim Kueneman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What is the difference in the tie rod ends and sleves? The Moog part numbers are different for 73+ disks vs drums. I have a bit of a mix of aftermarket disks and early A steering components and I am trying to get things straightened out...

Jim

Last edited:
What is the difference in the tie rod ends and sleves? The Moog part numbers are different for 73+ disks vs drums. I have a bit of a mix of aftermarket disks and early A steering components and I am trying to get things straightened out...

Jim
I have interchanged them late vs early, that is, 67--72 vs 73/ later. I think you need to keep the parts "together" as I recall, but that may be incorrect

Jim

They are the same. The only factory upgrade would be to go to the C Body larger threaded tie rod system, and then you have to get both ends and sleeves for both sides.

Fair amount of discussion and some pictures in this thread - Hemi swap oil pan questions

Best I can tell, the tie rod ends are the same. But they do attach at the centerlink differently so...?

Jim,
The actual, definitive application is :
1962 - 1969 is the Early Inner & Outer Tie Rods,
1970 - 1976 is the Later Inner & Outer Tie Rods.

I have plenty of both, Brand New, in
Top Notch Quality and Economy, if you need or want.....

Yours, Craig......

Jim,
The actual, definitive application is :
1962 - 1969 is the Early Inner & Outer Tie Rods,
1970 - 1976 is the Later Inner & Outer Tie Rods.

I have plenty of both, Brand New, in
Top Notch Quality and Economy, if you need or want.....

Yours, Craig......

That is the part number break down, sure. But it still doesn’t mean much does it?

The thing is that the center links didn’t change on those same year splits. They changed 64-66, 67-72, and 73-76. Which means that the “early” tie rod ends and the “late” tie rod ends both work with the 67-72 center links. It also means the late tie rod ends work with both the 67-72 center link and the 73-76 center link.

So, what’s actually different about those tie rod ends? They use the same taper and the same threads, we know that for sure, which means they are interchangeable.

Since the early is more than twice the price of the late,
20 years ago, we "guinea pigged" the latest on an early car, and the alignment shop could not get an accurate alignment......

So, I have always used EARLY on EARLY. &
LATE on LATE.
I believe that is the Only way to avoid problems.....
Why create problems, is what I believe.....

Since the early is more than twice the price of the late,
20 years ago, we "guinea pigged" the latest on an early car, and the alignment shop could not get an accurate alignment......

So, I have always used EARLY on EARLY. &
LATE on LATE.
I believe that is the Only way to avoid problems.....
Why create problems, is what I believe.....

Maybe for the pre-67 cars, but I don’t buy that one bit for 67-72. There was no change in the center link, no change in the track width, but the tie rod ends changed “early” to “late” mid run. The only thing effected for the alignment would be the toe setting. I could understand if we were talking a change at ‘73 when the disk brake track width and lower ball joint changed. But that change happened in the middle of the “late” tie rod end run, same tie rod ends used before and after that.

If you have all these parts, why not open 2 boxes and show us the difference?

just a guess: potentially just the length of the threaded section on the joint for the bit that screws into sleeve/rod. if the thread runs out you can't get toe in/out right and have to cut the sleeve back a bit, and knock off the clamp and move it along some.
its like the track rods are too long

as i say just a guess, but its an issue if you mix and match LHD and RHD parts, that we always thought was due to a differing angle of lever on the lower BJ for RHD.
BUT
us RHD car* owners might be wrong it may also be an early/ late issue as well. RHD parts are always early apart from cars 1978 -82 or any RHD made with with bits from mexico or brazil.

*Hamtramck 68 barracudas order for UK SA and Australian export, South Africa Valiant/dodge/chrylsler and Australian Valiant/dodge/Chrysler some japan and caribean export.
Dave

-
Back