Tig welding 101

-

MoparMuscleGuy

Still plays with cars.
Reaction score
I need some help here my brothers. I'm going to purchase a tig welder for my personal shop. What's a brand you would recommend? Which brand should I stay away from? Tig welding is new for me but I'm learning. Thanks, Christopher

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEEpikDY058"]YouTube- TIG Welding Technique - Kevin Caron[/ame]

Last summer I picked up a Miller Diversion 165, nice small machine capable of AC and DC welding but no SMAW feature, which was fine with me. You can't go wrong with Miller or Lincoln, I believe Esab is getting into TIG also, just stay away from any brand that you don't recognize. Nothing worse than spending big $$ on something that no one will service or can get parts for. Also look at the amp ratings that you will need to run the machine, a large Synchrowave might look cool but takes a lot of juice to run.

i like the KEMPI TIG welder at my job im not the best welder out there and dont do it everyday but i do tig a couple times a week mostly exhaust stuff and as long as no one has reset the preprogramed chanels for wave and power i can make pretty good welds withit even if i dont do it everyday.
dont know how hard they are to get parts for in US but over here they are comon and wellknown as good welders
also i recomend you get one with a watercooler if you are going to put some time into welding with it i know how hot the non cooled part of the handle can get if i do alot of welding and i realy wouldnt want all that heat in the handle,may be good to talk to the salesman when you buy one about that feature:)

it takes some time learning but is kind of similar to welding with a torch:)
just have patience and give it some time and you will love it,it takes time but the result is good! i need alitle less than 5minutes to completly end to end weld two pieces of 304 stainles in 3" with a wallthicknes of 1,5mm togheter on an average day so it takes some time but the result is alot better compared to MIG

What's the consensus on TIG or MIG for auto repair? I have been told that MIG is the better choice for body metal. Anyone?

pete

I would stay away from water cooled torch unless your doing alot of welding. Most home shops don't need it and it adds lots of cost and mostly just a PITA with leaks ,added weight and more cumbersome in small work areas.

For me, i have two MIG units here in the shop. One big and one small. Both Lincolns and that's what we do most body panels with. Would love to do the TIG thing as i never have. I would want it for aluminum purposes. I've seen some real pretty welding with the TIG. I cant wait. By the way, thanks for the video.
Small Block

Tig is really better for doing panels. A mig will do most of the same work around a car.

If I was buying something, miller syncrowave 250dx Lincoln squarewave 255 would be two machines to look at. They are expensive.

mygwenevere - Wade would be a good guy to ask, he does it all the time and is a kick *** welder. He likes the new Miller Dynasty, $$$$$

I have a ESAB 252 for tig and a super old Daytona mig welder. As for buying a brand, I recommend the brand of welder thats supported in your area. ESAB invented tig welding but if no one within 180 miles sells parts for it, your in a world of hurt. All of the brand names make good welders.
Not all Tig welders will do aluminum. Do your research.
Many good welding machines show up on Craigslist and E-Bay. Also contact your local schools for auctions. I bought my ESAB for $214.00 on a gov auction (http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm) it included a foot pedal and two weldcraft torches.
Be in no hurry and enjoy shopping.

Whip
http://www.weldcraft.com/

Found a great lincoln idealarc 300amp complete with water cooling for $500 on craigslist. great score

a dc power source such as a dc stick welder can be used for scratch start tig with a gas cooled torch like a 17v,or i like the smaller 9v.this is the "econo" way to go.if you want the top of the line the miller dynasty is as good as it gets.if your looking for an older used machine the linde welders are decent.if you want something new that wont break the bank,i really like the thermal arc brand.

I have a Lincoln 180 that I purchased from Home Depot. Don't buy a gasless model!!
Make sure you get a 220v model. It will allow you to weld thicker metal and they have longer duty cycles. I used a ESAB at our local junior college. WoW What a welder. It did stick,mig and tig.

What's the consensus on TIG or MIG for auto repair? I have been told that MIG is the better choice for body metal. Anyone?

pete

Advantage to tig over mig would be that you can weld stainless and aluminum with the tig. Plus, if you master tig welding, many times your welds come out cleaner than mig.... but I have seen some guys that are amazing with mig welders as well. It's all in what you want to do. I know a guy at work that has been building chassis for years and he doesnt even know how to tig (or very little). Most of the body panels and patches that we do are MIGed as well here at our hot rod shop. Only time we use tig is when stainless or aluminum needs to be welded.

-
Back