Tiger ride quality

-
Your ride quality is far more a function of your shocks than anything else. Good quality shocks that work with your particular size of torsion bar is going to make a much bigger difference than the brand of tire you pick.

Your ride quality is far more a function of your shocks than anything else. Good quality shocks that work with your particular size of torsion bar is going to make a much bigger difference than the brand of tire you pick.
Very true. Any suggestion for a shock with stiff bars that won't break the bank?

This is probably the poorest way to handle whatever it is you're trying to do.

Taller sidewalls ride softer. Cheap tires ride softer.

Can I have your stuff after you crash and die? This plan es no bueno.

Go to Rock Auto and look up the shocks, and they'll be described in terms of ride quality, and that's probably the best price while you're there. Leave them tires be; you need traction. That's like, y'know, like kinda like, y'know....important.

Cooper Cobras ride nice. So do the Galaxy Vitour tires I have on Vixen.

I am running Cooper Cobras and I really like them for a street non track car.
They're decent tires and if you get all the same size so they can be rotated, they can last a long time. We put almost 50K miles on a set on our Escape.

You have no idea what my plan is

Well, we're waiting.... Do tell

Is it sinister? Ohh please let it be sinister.

No sharks with fricken laser beams on their heads tho. That's kinda played out

This is probably the poorest way to handle whatever it is you're trying to do.

Taller sidewalls ride softer. Cheap tires ride softer.

Can I have your stuff after you crash and die? This plan es no bueno.

Go to Rock Auto and look up the shocks, and they'll be described in terms of ride quality, and that's probably the best price while you're there. Leave them tires be; you need traction. That's like, y'know, like kinda like, y'know....important.
Well, we're waiting.... Do tell

Is it sinister? Ohh please let it be sinister.

No sharks with fricken laser beams on their heads tho. That's kinda played out
Aaaww no sharks? Crap. Just looking for the best riding tire that's all!

Aaaww no sharks? Crap. Just looking for the best riding tire that's all!

So I did know what your master plan was...

I only said what I said because typically, good ride quality in a tire is a tire that doesn't stop or corner well. Personally, I'd rather make sure my car sticks in place, and then try to get the best ride quality in shocks, springs, and even seat changes if need be. I certainly agree with you, I wouldn't want it riding like some Conestoga wagon, but unwanted impacts with exterior objects have far more negative consequences on my quality of life than potholes do!

I remember being able to make my Dart yaw a SOLID +/- ten degrees on the Uniroyal Tiger Paws it came with (Ironically, the first thing that came to mind when I saw your thread), and it rode great, but staying where it was pointed? Nope. I think a high-quality tire in an OEM size would ride pretty good, but you may have physical needs or expectations that are different than my own. I'm 43 and can see where this aging thing is headed, and that might be a factor for you, or it might not be.

If you're older than me, and aging is not a factor, please let us know the secret. Getting old is not near as much fun as the AARP commercials have led me to believe.

That's just it, no one knows what your "grand plan" is because you haven't provided enough information. What will the car be used for, a cruiser, a stop light bandit, a daily driver, a combo street & drag car? The list is endless, we have no idea what shocks, what torsion bars , what size wheels, or what tires you currently have on the car. I've run just about every tire manufactured in 55+ years of hot rodding, drag racing, weekend cruiser, stop light bandits, daily drivers & any combination of the afore mentioned driving. Tire technology has come a long way over the years & giving you an intelligent answer without more information is impossible. Please don't think I'm ragging on you, because that isn't my intention.

My crystal ball says 1.00-1.03 torsion bars. 15-17" rim although the quality of the ride diminishes as you get bigger and performance vice versa. (but you knew that) so in saying that, spend the money on the shocks and get a mid grade ($) tire that you dont care about thrashing whenever you want. Quality soft ride sounds like (Im projecting, of course) that you are a cruiser with very few "coming in hot" situations, so a 15" rim with mid grade tires will get you bang for buck. Upgrade to 1" torsion bars, shocks and a 1 1/8-1/4 sway bar with rubber bushings for a even better experience. As far as the brand of tire, I check out what I think looks good. I like black walls personally. What kind of car are we talking friend? Do you have any of the aformentioned sway/shock/torsion upgrades already?

My crystal ball says 1.00-1.03 torsion bars. 15-17" rim although the quality of the ride diminishes as you get bigger and performance vice versa. (but you knew that) so in saying that, spend the money on the shocks and get a mid grade ($) tire that you dont care about thrashing whenever you want. Quality soft ride sounds like (Im projecting, of course) that you are a cruiser with very few "coming in hot" situations, so a 15" rim with mid grade tires will get you bang for buck. Upgrade to 1" torsion bars, shocks and a 1 1/8-1/4 sway bar with rubber bushings for a even better experience. As far as the brand of tire, I check out what I think looks good. I like black walls personally. What kind of car are we talking friend? Do you have any of the aformentioned sway/shock/torsion upgrades already?

I guess you could say I want my car to be one of those elusive my car can do anything projects. A lot of compromises of course. I'm an old fart now and love driving as much now as I did when I was 16. 69 now and not in the good way anymore. I'd like to power and I like the handling and sometimes I go a bit overboard on some of the features I put on my car. I have pretty stiff torsion bars on it and super stock springs and shocks in the back. Front shocks are kyb gas adjusts. Front and rear sway bars, a 440 motor and a manual for speed overdrive. I was interested in looking for a good riding tire that wouldn't make my bars a little more pleasant. I realized that the shocks are the way to go for this but the prices are unbelievable for a retired guy like me. It's a big four-door b body but I want it to be able to do anything I want with it. Pie in the sky I know but I get a kick out of them hobby trying to design The impossible. Any help in my finding shocks that will tame my heavy bars for a reasonable price would be appreciated. You can only learn so much from advertisements. You really need to have the advice of those with experience. I don't want to spend a lot of money on shocks only to have to keep changing them to get that experience. Any input from you guys is much appreciated. Thanks, Dave

PostScript: you are right about the AARP advertisements. When you get where I am you're not going to like it. LOL you guys are great, keep the tech coming I really appreciate it.

Are you running polyurethane bushings anywhere? I dont have a lot of experience choosing the correct shock for your application, but when I had 67 GTO and tried to make it handle well, I went overboard with chassis stiffening and as a result the shock from every little bump transferred to the driver. Having a larger car like a B body and having the goals you are trying to achieve, I would keep it rubber bushed and keep sway bars with rubber bushings. Its not as racey but a bit softer on the tush. It still can be at least predictable. What kind of seats are you running? What size wheel? If its down to tires and shocks as the last two things that you are willing to change, try to air down tires to 30 psi, drive it like you are going to church and see if it makes a difference. If the difference isnt noticable then maybe its time for nice shocks.

$0.02

Im hoping there will be more action on this for you, my two cents is just that.

Are you running polyurethane bushings anywhere? I dont have a lot of experience choosing the correct shock for your application, but when I had 67 GTO and tried to make it handle well, I went overboard with chassis stiffening and as a result the shock from every little bump transferred to the driver. Having a larger car like a B body and having the goals you are trying to achieve, I would keep it rubber bushed and keep sway bars with rubber bushings. Its not as racey but a bit softer on the tush. It still can be at least predictable. What kind of seats are you running? What size wheel? If its down to tires and shocks as the last two things that you are willing to change, try to air down tires to 30 psi, drive it like you are going to church and see if it makes a difference. If the difference isnt noticable then maybe its time for nice shocks.

$0.02

Im hoping there will be more action on this for you, my two cents is just that.

You guys are right about the 1-in bars. I don't recall the size of the sway bars but I have them mounted and poly and I'll see where it goes from there. Leaf springs in the rear have poly bushings front rubber bushings back (told you I wanted everything). It's a 63 b body as ugly as can be but I got hooked on mopars because my dad used to drive old Chrysler stuff, it was all he could afford. By the way my first car was a 61 Dodge polara, even uglier, it looked like a giant cuttlefish and I wish I still had it now. Always like the biggest ugliest old Chrysler products but maybe now I'm getting a bit daft. I've earned it

Wheels are 15 in. I also have friend connectors and frame torque boxes I'm thinking of using. The way I'm going at it I don't think I'll ever get a ride that won't shatter my dentures. I wouldn't mind taking it down to the Gainesville track to play around with it, in fact I'm even thinking of joining the local autocross club, not competitive of course just a shitload of fun. One of my sons and I tried it one time with my wife's Sebring convertible and we had a blast. No more competition for me it's all about fun now. Somehow we forgot to mention it to my wife.

-
Back