Time for a new carburetor?

-

gtaw

Reaction score
Hi folks it's me again :)

I've been driving my car to work every morning and it's developed an ugly idle problem again. I just rebuilt the carburetor about 6 weeks ago and it idled smooth for a couple of weeks and now it's back to stalling at stop signs, etc. I even bought my kit from Daytona to avoid the junk kits.

Runs great going down the highway, but if I have to drive in the town it's a two foot affair. I stopped yesterday just to feel the fuel line and coil to see if they were getting hot and both were relatively cool after a 30mile trip.

Think it's time for a new carburetor? I've tuned everything as well as possible so I've run out of things to blame ;) I have another stock intake that's probably going to get milled down to accept an 2BBL.

What say youses?

Thanks and have a good day :)

Jim

Recheck the mounting. It may be sucking extra air underneath.
What model you working on ?

I agree with Redfish. Six weeks is just enough time for the carb-to-manifold gasket to compress and allow the mounting nuts to loosen. At least, that's been my experience. You may have to tighten them every couple of weeks for a month or two. But not too tight! You can crack the carb, then you WILL be getting a replacement.

Assuming there is no vacuum leak....it probably just got some crud in it again. Sometimes it doesn't take much. First, remove the idle mixture screw and blow compressed air into the hole...then reinstall the screw. See if it will idle now. If yes, I'd carefully pop the top off the carb(or side as the case may be) and blow out the float bowl and idle circuit with some compressed air. Reassemble and see how it goes.

I checked for vacuum leaks and couldn't detect any. I'll try cleaning it out a bit and see if that helps. I checked the fuel filter, too and it was clear of debris.

I'm still going to start prepping the other intake, though. If I can get this little problem fixed I'll have a good ride.

Thanks again,
Jim

-
Back