Time for me to buy wheels and tires!! please help me!!

-

Brian c

Reaction score
Im looking to buy wheels and tires for my 1973 dart sport. Its has 4 wheel disc with big bolt pattern. Has a street-lynx setup in the rear, a abody 8 3/4 rear-end, stock width, stock wheel wells. i also have firmfeel tubular upper control arms up front (not sure if that matters)

I already know that i have to go with a minimum of 17'' wheels because my front brakes are to big to go any smaller. I guess what my issue is that i know nothing about back spacing or really anything to do with wheel fitment. I know that i want the car to have a good stance, and want to go as wide as possible without them sticking out past the wheels wells.

If anyone can help me with sizing or has and info at all that would help me along it would be appreciated. If you have a dart spot that has 17'' wheels and a similar setup to me could you post some pics for me please??

i had 17x8 with 5.72 backspace on my dart that was running a street lynx in it.. 275/50-17 tire they were tight but cleared on a dart which is tighter then a duster/dart sport wheel well..

dartcarlisleblackwhite.jpg

Sorry I missed this one!

What disk brakes are you running up front?

If you're sticking with 17" rims, you should probably stay with 17x8 or 17x8.5 up front with a backspace of around 5.75", but that might change a bit depending on your brakes. More than that and most rims won't clear the outer tie rod. Still, that set up should let you run 255's up front. If you're not stuck on the 17's, move up to 18's. Those will clear the outer tie rod, so you can run more backspace. I have 18x9's with 275/35/18's on my Duster, which now has a Dart front clip. My 18x9's are a 35mm offset, but I have Dr Diff's 13" cobra kit and 3mm spacers.

In the back you should have no problem fitting 10" rims. The Street Lynx set up means you should only by limited by the stock wheel tubs. I have the springs still on my Duster, but I have a 1/2" offset so I'm pretty much just limited by the tubs as well. I have 18x10's with 295/35/18's. I did trim the inner quarter lip back about a 1/2" to make those work, but they definitely don't stick out. My car is sitting too low for that! Backspace is another story, I have a B body rear end in mine. You should be looking for around 5.75" backspace again with a 10" rim and an A-body rear.

IMG_5264b_zps4c31ed25.jpg

thank you for the info. I have wilwood front brakes with stock spindles

thank you for the info. I have wilwood front brakes with stock spindles

73+ disk, or drum spindles? Or maybe easier, is your kit #140-11019?

If it is, Wilwood claims a "0" offset change for that one, so the backspace recommendation for the front would still be no more than ~5.72" for 8" wide rims. Some have gotten away with more than that, but some have had interference issues that needed a spacer to get back to 5.6" backspace. Just depends on the design of the rim and how it clears the outer tie rod end.

73+ disk, or drum spindles? Or maybe easier, is your kit #140-11019?

If it is, Wilwood claims a "0" offset change for that one, so the backspace recommendation for the front would still be no more than ~5.72" for 8" wide rims. Some have gotten away with more than that, but some have had interference issues that needed a spacer to get back to 5.6" backspace. Just depends on the design of the rim and how it clears the outer tie rod end.

https://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16189&cat=271&page=1

here are my brakes. i have stock disc spindles from a 74

You got no replies to your thread after 4 days and started crying about it:blob:

haha it i can see how it you think that but i actually wasn't at all. I can see that people looked at the post and i was legitimately saying thanks anyways.

Im looking to buy wheels and tires for my 1973 dart sport. Its has 4 wheel disc with big bolt pattern. Has a street-lynx setup in the rear, a abody 8 3/4 rear-end, stock width, stock wheel wells. i also have firmfeel tubular upper control arms up front (not sure if that matters)

I already know that i have to go with a minimum of 17'' wheels because my front brakes are to big to go any smaller. I guess what my issue is that i know nothing about back spacing or really anything to do with wheel fitment. I know that i want the car to have a good stance, and want to go as wide as possible without them sticking out past the wheels wells.

If anyone can help me with sizing or has and info at all that would help me along it would be appreciated. If you have a dart spot that has 17'' wheels and a similar setup to me could you post some pics for me please??

I listed some 18 inch Forgelines and tires for sale on the form. They are made for a body mopars with big bolt

-
Back