Time to detune my smallblock, keep gear drive and roller rockers?

-

340doc

Reaction score
The time has come to detune my 372 for a more comfortable driving experience. Its in a Dart Conv. and I'm ready to change it up. I built this motor about 15 years ago and it has been trouble free, but the local track closed and street racings not what it was. I was wondering if there's any down side to keeping the Milodon gear drive and Harland sharp roller rockers for long trips? All of my mileage so far has been local driving, with highway trips no more than 150 miles. As I said all items have been trouble free for 15 years and I plan on disassembly and inspection of the whole motor. Thanks.

Million gear drive is garbage. PM me so I can send you a bit of cash for it.

Ok, that was funny. Or sarcasm. I can never tell.

There is no reason not to use the gear drive or the rockers even if it's mild. Unless you are planning a build later than could use them.

The Milodon GD is still my favorite way to time a cam. Once it's degreed in, it will be in the same spot, regardless of RPM, spring load, miles or an act of satan.

So, there is zero downside to what you want to do.

Disassemble, inspect and reassemble and you should be good to go. With that said personally I don't like gear drives. They are noisy and can make life difficult when you degree in the cam. I understand and can see there use in a racing environment. Once again this is my personal opinion and others may vary:)

I appreciate the input yellow rose and RPAGAN. Agree on the timing yellow rose, always spot on and rock steady.

I'm in agreement on the gear drive. I've always been pretty leary of aluminum rockers on street cars though. Maybe with lower lift and spring pressures it's different, but I've seen a pretty sketchy track record for aluminum on the street. On street engines I've always tried to go OEM or aftermarket steel. I've heard of people having problems with steel too though.

I have been running MIL gear drives for years and all the above is true. The only downside to running one that some racers cite is that when they are trying to get everything they can from their motors, the gear drive robs a small % of power vs something like a good Cloyes Tru-Roller setup. The old (and I mean 20-25+ years ago) guideline was gear drives weren't necessary unless you were spinning 7K & above.

Getting back to your direct question, you won't have to worry about the gear drive on the street and as far as the Sharp rockers, I would think that you should be ok. I don't know what kind of detuning you plan on doing and where you are now but you may want to look at spring rates if you are dramatically changing your cam profile. GL.

I'm in agreement on the gear drive. I've always been pretty leary of aluminum rockers on street cars though. Maybe with lower lift and spring pressures it's different, but I've seen a pretty sketchy track record for aluminum on the street. On street engines I've always tried to go OEM or aftermarket steel. I've heard of people having problems with steel too though.
Thanks for your input Pascamp. I know there's some sketchy aluminum rockers out there. I'm hoping the Sharps would hold up better. I'll be giving everything a good look. Most of my miles have been street miles so will have to see how everything looks.

I have been running MIL gear drives for years and all the above is true. The only downside to running one that some racers cite is that when they are trying to get everything they can from their motors, the gear drive robs a small % of power vs something like a good Cloyes Tru-Roller setup. The old (and I mean 20-25+ years ago) guideline was gear drives weren't necessary unless you were spinning 7K & above.

Getting back to your direct question, you won't have to worry about the gear drive on the street and as far as the Sharp rockers, I would think that you should be ok. I don't know what kind of detuning you plan on doing and where you are now but you may want to look at spring rates if you are dramatically changing your cam profile. GL.
Will definitely be looking at the springs. Thanks for your comments. When I built this motor I wanted to try the gear drive because I never ran one. I have nothing bad to say about it yet!

Will definitely be looking at the springs. Thanks for your comments. When I built this motor I wanted to try the gear drive because I never ran one. I have nothing bad to say about it yet!

I love how they sound!

-
Back