Time to plug in home Stereo

-

Rob R

Reaction score
It's been at least 5 years since I've plugged in my home stereo.
I've found that almost all new music coming out is just to compressed for Ipod type of devices to even try and play on my gear.
But over the holidays I'm going to start to listen again...
So post up a picture of what ever you use to listen to your tunes...
Here's mine,simple straight forward old school 2 channel...

stereo1.jpg

I fired up my old system this past summer. Haven't listened to it in years. I was reminded how I had not heard music so clear and deep since the last time I had it going. Most of my components are from the 1974-75 time frame .... My receiver is high end Yamaha as are the cassette and Cd players both Yamaha - all from the late 1980s. Empire 598II Turntable, Teac 3340S reel-to-reel and my second generation Bose 901s are all from 74-75' time frame.

Post it up...

Garage stereos/getto blasters..what you use to listen to your tunes...:headbang:
all that matters is it's what you use to hear the music you like.

I ll show you the ice shanty and garage radios! And not many people have the old and wondrous vinyl.

That's quite a stereo! Let us in on what components you have there as it's too hard to guess from the photos. Wish I could hear that setup.

Mine is based on a couple of Soundcraftsmen M5002s with a home built active crossover. NAD pre-amp and a Luxman M117 taking care of the bass duties. The speakers are also home built with Focal components, 7K011DBL, T120K with high grade caps and coils. The bass is covered by a couple of Adire 12 inchers.
I get tired of the digital sound pretty easily and fire up the old school stuff to get my fix of some "full", realistic sound with and actual soundstage present! I've even still got the turntable if I want the full old school experience.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC_0012.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC_0017.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 208
  • stereo.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 227
Still have a ton of 60s to 80s vinyl,have to findsomethingto play on.

I've had mine hooked up forever. Use it all the time for the surround sound system. Unfortunately my cats decided that the speaker covers where better suited to sharpen their claws when they were kittens.

Most of my components are from the 1974-75 time frame .... My receiver is high end Yamaha as are the cassette and Cd players both Yamaha - all from the late 1980s. Empire 598II Turntable, Teac 3340S reel-to-reel and my second generation Bose 901s are all from 74-75' time frame.

Ah the Teac reel-to-reel. Nice way to play music for hours without having to change cassettes, vinyl, cds, or stations. I miss that old warhorse.

Teac reel to reel,friend of mine has one.Took years to find it.As for Drenos Altec equipment,haven't seen that for 20 years.Their equipment simply doesn't break.

Mines just a little old Sony 6 disc player going through a Sony reciever amp sending everything to a pair of BOSS 901"s.:headbang: I record all my favorites off ITunes, burn them onto discs (got about 30 discs) travel everywhere with them. Haven't listened to a stinking, commercial laden, jockeys won't shut the hell up, rock and roll FM station in a couple years.:blob::blob:

Sony STR-DE545 with Sony 6 disc carousel and OG dual casette deck and a JVC Blu-ray that has a cool Pandora music stream on it. Used to have a JVC stereo VCR in there too, but a belt died. Could record 6 hours of pretty good recorded FM radio shows. Going to a KHL 6 speaker satellite surround-sound with a Bass Bite V sub under my PC. Not really a thumping bass Foghat system. but it sounds pretty good with some raspy Bad Religion or Pennywize. I got the channel B speakers in the garage :) I had an old geezer friend with a Nakamichi Dragon tape deck and a McIntosh preamp in his rafters but before I could hit him up for it , he croaked. RIP Ray!
DSC00391.JPG

Here's mine

It's on when the TV is on. I run all of the sound thru it.

JVC Super VHS ET Tape player
Yamaha Receiver R-V1105
Yamaha CD Player CDC 905
Yamaha Cassette Deck K-903
(4) Bose 301 Speakers
Bose center speaker
Technics Direct Drive Turntable SL-J2....Needs work

I've got a bunch of vinyl and no way to play it.

Attachments

• DSCF3975 (Medium).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCF3976 (Medium).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 366
  • DSCF3977 (Medium).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 349
  • DSCF3978 (Medium).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 368
The garage sound system.

Attachments

• PC140150.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 367
Those are some monstrous speakers...are they electrostatics? Post up the model no. of those Adcoms too. Pretty phenominal listening room as well......

Been a long time since I had them all hooked up.The Altec 19's just sit on either side of my 60" TV.The power amp and preamp just gather dust,same with the turntable and the equalizer and cassette player.When they were runnin we had some great times,maybe someday i will put them together again and throw on some vintage vinyl.

View attachment 283517

View attachment 283518

View attachment 283519

View attachment 283520

View attachment 283521

Dave...

Oh my god...Altecs...the ultimate party speaker..!!
Are those the ones with the horn tweeter???
Ferociously effecient...weren't they 101 db@1 watt
I remember a pair of those at American HiFi when Ray hooked up an SAE 200 a channel amp to them,you couldn't stand within 10 feet of them...oh were they loud

first 4 are shop. I was cutting back... LOL. I bought 6 bar speakers and hung 3 on each side of the shop, I have 2 18" subs stacked next to one of my counters, and 2 more up in the loft. 4 separate amps at the moment.... yes, I can hear it over the compressor and air tools if needed.
Next 2 are theater room, 15" subs in the Sonotubes. 2' diameter and 4 1/2' tall. 1500 watts into the pair of them. they rumble pretty good.

last 2 are my pool room, not finished yet. That is all Vintage equipment, including a Sansui 9090db, wood lattice speakers (4 Sansui and a pair of Pioneers) and the Cerwin Vega towers with down firing woofer.

At work I listen to a pair of Optimus pro LX5s (with the linaeum tweeter) and a Cerwin Vega 12" sub hooked to my computer. It rocks the dining room and kitchen for sure.

Attachments

• Garage sound_cabinet_small.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 328
  • N wall Garage sound_small.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 327
  • Loft Garage sound_small.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 322
  • Garage sound_Subs_small.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 317
  • pool room_small.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 319
  • sonotube_rear.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 330
  • pool room2_small.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 323
  • theater room_small.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 331
69B...

I see your someone who needs a bit of tunes during you day...:D

i know im only 23 ipods are almost all that were out growning up but i know where the great sound of music comes from this is my home sterio.. mines turqouise biut same exact unit this is a 1952 motorola portable record player i inhareted from my great grandmother the speakers have about 10ft of cord that unreels so u can space them apart great units u ever see 1 get it!

Attachments

• MOTOROLA-PORTABLE-RECORD-PLAYER-RARE-TUBE-UNIT_JPG.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 318
That is so bad ***.....I used to frequent thrift shops all the time when I was a teenager and buying old stereos and record players like that for $5.00 was awesome as hell. This was back in the mid-70's.

Dave...

Oh my god...Altecs...the ultimate party speaker..!!
Are those the ones with the horn tweeter???
Ferociously effecient...weren't they 101 db@1 watt
I remember a pair of those at American HiFi when Ray hooked up an SAE 200 a channel amp to them,you couldn't stand within 10 feet of them...oh were they loud

View attachment IMG_0113f.jpg

Those speakers have party'd alright! Yep,they have the horn tweeter.They are very efficient,not like trying to drive Infinity's.I bought them from Rudy at Gillam Sound. They have that great rock and roll west coast sound.:headbang: What's that beast of a power amp you have there?

Go big or go home

-
Back