Time to retire from the Pinewood Derby

-

volarerob

Reaction score
Well I think it’s time to retire from the Pinewood Derby and just let my kids do all of the work…..lol We have done it for 5 years and made 16 cars I have 2 boys a girl and we have all made cars. It’s been tons of fun and the kids have been great student of how to put these together. After this Saturdays race results though I think I can just step back and let them do it all (with the exception of my 5 year old he will still need some help) They absolutely cleaned house in a field of 50-60 cars they each won first in race & show in their class and then my kids all went head to head with 7 other cars for top speed and show and only lost to each other. Crazy! We've had top 5 finishes through out the years with many 1st place wins but never a clean sweep all the way up to the “Open Unlimited Class” (adults) The crazy part was their cars were beating mine and they did all the axle and wheel sanding work themselves, and my car beat all of the adults cars. So time to quit on top...... lol
Here are some pics of this years cars and all of the years past to.

This years sweep
IMG_0143.jpg

My 10 year old son's car and fastest overall
IMG_0160.jpg

My 12 year old daughter's car and best of show overall 3rd fastest overall
IMG_0174.jpg

My 5 year olds car and 2nd fastest overall
IMG_0168.jpg

My race car 1st over all the adults in race
IMG_0161.jpg

My show car tops for all the adults in show
IMG_0158.jpg

My cars
IMG_0175.jpg

My 10 year old son's cars
IMG_0182.jpg

My 12 year old daughter's cars
IMG_0178.jpg

My five year olds cars
IMG_0179.jpg

The last five years
IMG_0149.jpg

WOW!!! Some great memories you will always keep You must be a #1 dad :cheers:
Congratulations on a great run volarerob.

I have a favorite 8)8) Your 5 year old Speed Racer :cheers:
I remember watching him on tv.

You should have a 6' tall Father of the year trophies for each child :cheers:

Growing up my dad was right in there helping us with our cars, great memories. So I was all excited to past the good time to my boys. Both of the boys got cars. So after work every night we would go out and work on the cars. Cutting sanding, painting. All of the tricks that my father taught me. It was the night of the race. We get to the school where the event was being held. All the cars. My boys was trash talking with all their friends. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!! They lined the cars up for the race. Where was no weigh in. They didn't keep track of who won. When the night was over, everyone got a piece of paper stating what class they won. One of my boys won shinyest tires, the other won cleanist car. What the hell. But we still have memories and good times about building the cars. We still laugh about it. Don't want anybodys feels bads to get hurt. Everyones a WINNER! What a load of crap.

Man those are all awesome. I bet yours is the mopst hated family in the sport. LOL Hell, back when daddy and I were doin it, they didn't even allow graphite on the axles. .....everybody did it anyway but we never did. We never won, either. lol But now, you can use graphite....pretty much whatever you want.

Growing up my dad was right in there helping us with our cars, great memories. So I was all excited to past the good time to my boys. Both of the boys got cars. So after work every night we would go out and work on the cars. Cutting sanding, painting. All of the tricks that my father taught me. It was the night of the race. We get to the school where the event was being held. All the cars. My boys was trash talking with all their friends. WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!! They lined the cars up for the race. Where was no weigh in. They didn't keep track of who won. When the night was over, everyone got a piece of paper stating what class they won. One of my boys won shinyest tires, the other won cleanist car. What the hell. But we still have memories and good times about building the cars. We still laugh about it. Don't want anybodys feels bads to get hurt. Everyones a WINNER! What a load of crap.

Wow, that’s a bunch of PC crap. Glad you could find the fun in all that. The one thing I don’t like about it is all the rule changes year to year. Last year all the cars were race and show, then this year they said you had to build a race only car and a show only car. So the kids just did the cars for race and still made them look cool for the fun of it and didn’t worry about show. Then the day of the race they found out that all the cars would be judged for show. Sure glad we didn’t try to build show cars to, we would have had 1st & 2nd place wrapped up and really pissed everyone off and it would have been the rules fault not ours.

-
Back