Timing chain advice

-

71scamp78

Reaction score
I'm building a 5.7 stroker and using a comp cam stage 3 cam. I need advice on a good timing chain that will allow to adjust timing. I'm sure it won't be installed straight up

I use Edelbrock timing chains, they have multiple keyway positions to advance/retard timing.

As far as early hemi(03-08), S.A. Gear has a good multiple keyway crank gear. Seems to be most reasonably priced, at least before Co-**** 19. Not sure on the VVT stuff. The stock stuff with upgraded tensioner and guide seems to be the ticket. Not sure about all out effort VVT stuff.

I need one that will fit s vvt engine although it will be locked out. Seems most of what I seen is non vvt. I need to be to degree the cam

Yeah and? I'm not a mind reader here. You don't mention a year model.

It's a 2013 so it has vvt although it will be locked out. The set above won't work either. I'm sure there has to be a set to work on newer engines for people who want to be able to degree a cam.

It's a 2013 so it has vvt although it will be locked out. The set above won't work either. I'm sure there has to be a set to work on newer engines for people who want to be able to degree a cam.

Then my advice is to do away with the vvt altogether. You're not going to use it so.....

So I can just use a non vvt timing set. I didn't know if that was possible even with locking it out.
**** if I know. I'm just making a suggestion based on what's available.....or more appropriately not available. I've looked my one good eyeball out and there doesn't seem to be an adjustable set for the later model Hemi.

**** if I know. I'm just making a suggestion based on what's available.....or more appropriately not available. I've looked my one good eyeball out and there doesn't seem to be an adjustable set for the later model Hemi.

Yeah I haven't had any luck with that either. I assume since if you use vvt the timing is not able to be mechanically advanced. That's all I can figure it. Guess someone with more knowledge than me would know..my first modern mopar so it's all new

Yeah I haven't had any luck with that either. I assume since if you use vvt the timing is not able to be mechanically advanced. That's all I can figure it. Guess someone with more knowledge than me would know..my first modern mopar so it's all new

I would look into trying to see if the blocks are somehow different. I bet they might not be. I don't see why in the world they'd be different.....but don't count on it. Chrysler's done some pretty crazy stuff before.

I would look into trying to see if the blocks are somehow different. I bet they might not be. I don't see why in the world they'd be different.....but don't count on it. Chrysler's done some pretty crazy stuff before.

Yeah I wouldn't think they would be but better off not to assume for sure

VVT blocks are different from the early blocks at the front of the cam tunnel. Extra casting on the front of the VVT block for the oiling of the cam phaser/upper cam gear.
upload_2021-8-19_7-56-37.jpeg
OIP.RkEsjGwJpgQsS281IimjZwHaFj?w=221&h=180&c=7&o=5&pid=1.jpg

VVT at left, 03-08 at right.

upload_2021-8-19_7-59-57.jpeg
upload_2021-8-19_8-0-11.jpeg

Here you can see the difference in the cams also. In particular the front journal.

VVT blocks are different from the early blocks at the front of the cam tunnel. Extra casting on the front of the VVT block for the oiling of the cam phaser/upper cam gear.
View attachment 1715783468View attachment 1715783469
VVT at left, 03-08 at right.

Talked to comp I guess the stage 3 cam gets installed straight up on a 116 CL . I guess degreeing cam will be easy lol. Would like to find a performance timing chain like a double roller.

Well talked to Arrington Performance about the timing chain and he said the only option is to use the stock chain on the vvt engines right now. He also said he hasn't seen any issues with them so stock it is.

When you buy the tensioner and guide, buy Genuine Mopar.

Well talked to Arrington Performance about the timing chain and he said the only option is to use the stock chain on the vvt engines right now. He also said he hasn't seen any issues with them so stock it is.

Wow, so then there's no way to convert yours to the non VVT? That kinda blows. But I guess if the stock chains work, then go for it.

-
Back