Timing chain alignment

-

TheWhiteBuffalo

Very Confused
Reaction score
Howdy peeps,

I am ready to begin my timing chain replacement (a couple of gracious FABO members have offered to give me a hand).

I took a photo of the timing chain and was curious as to whether this is the correct alignment marks. I have it lined up close, but will tweak it just a little bit tomorrow. Is it crucial that I have it perfect, or is this close enough?

I have the new timing chain soaking in a coffee can full of oil. I've already started cleaning the timing chain cover...so I think I'm almost ready!

Thanks to all in advance, I really appreciate the help and support.

cbb988b830e511de061bf5b871d5913e.jpg

That appears to be a good ways off.

That appears to be a good ways off.

I'm going to try and get it a little better tomorrow. I couldn't get a ruler or square in the there, so maybe I will just try a small piece of paper or cardboard.

I hope in this case, that it doesn't have to be perfect. Is close good enough?

It needs to be perfect. What's wrong with the cam gear? It looks to have been ground on.

Did you get a set with new gears or just a chain? The old ones in the photo look pretty shook! tmm (And yes, the marks have to be perfectly aligned.)

It needs to be perfect. What's wrong with the cam gear? It looks to have been ground on.

X2 I dearly hope you are not using those sprockets or chain. Do NOT use a plastic sprocket.

The bottom sprocket has a dot on a tooth. The top sprocket has the mark BETWEEN two teeth. So the bottom sprocket with the marked tooth points exactly between the two top ones with the mark.

This by the way puts no6 ready to fire, and not no1. After lining up the marks, but before you put the distributor in, rotate the crank one turn.

This by the way puts no6 ready to fire, and not no1. After lining up the marks, but before you put the distributor in, rotate the crank one turn.

I didn't realize that these gears looked that bad. I'm lucky I posted pics! I did buy the gear set, but I was only going to replace the larger one, since I don't own a gear puller.

As for the above quote, I haven't any idea what that means. I guess I am going to take up a generous offer from a fellow FABO member who offered to help. This sounds way beyond my limited abilities.

Thanks guys!

Shoot those gears and chain look like they have 300K Miles on them and ran through a Mud pit too. That is probably one of the worst stretched out chains I have ever seen. Surely get a new timing set.

the bottom sprocket should just slide off , you don't need a puller. put some muscle into it

LOL green1 beat me to it

this is the correct alignment

Attachments

• rb16.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 255
Shoot those gears and chain look like they have 300K Miles on them and ran through a Mud pit too. That is probably one of the worst stretched out chains I have ever seen. Surely get a new timing set.

There is tons of slop in the chain. Unfortunately, this was once a little old lady's car. After she died, a 16 year old kid got ahold of it and ran it too hard. The father tore the motor down to replace the chain, after he heard it making tons of noise. They never finished the project and then I purchased it.

I'm not sure how many miles are on the motor, but I'm darn sure the kid beat the heck out of it. I just hope to put the kit on there and see if the motor has any life left in it.

You guys skeeeeeered me. I'm going to wait for the local help. Paying someone will save me a ton of heartache.

Paying someone will save me a ton of heartache.
not necessarily ....

get you a Factory Service Manual and learn it. its really not that difficult. you would save yourself a ton of money and the heartache of dealing with shops that are going to bend you over to do it

What year model is your car? There are several years shop manuals you can download, fer free

-
Back