Timing chain cover

-

Ridge

Reaction score
I started what I thought was a easy and quick little project.
I found my timing chain cover has eroded and needs help.
I am not sure if I need to replace or if today there is something that will fix this problem. ( J B Weld )
To me I need to replace it.
Here is a shot of what I found .

http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac156/OldRidge/Parts/?action=view&current=IMG_2918.jpg

If replacement is necessary does any one have one it is for a 67 with a 273.

Parts

I have that part if you want to replace it.
Good condition no eroding or cracks. Comes with new seal.

part number 2951698

PM me

Fix the problem once. :)

Mop

Attachments

• 100_4107.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_4108.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_4109.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 196
make sure the timing marks are on the correct side...

68 would be on the passenger side..

70 and newer on driver side...

Thanks momarparman but 70aarcuda is right mine is on the passenger side
it also is a bolt on timing mark not molded on timing cover.
Thanks
Ridge

I see that now....not an expert on small blocks by any means.
That's why I gave the part number.
So this would be a 70 and newer small block timing chain cover?

OK. let me look in my box of goodies....I have another one around here.

Mop

momoparman Don`t be sorry you looked that's a good thing.
I was hoping some one would have one.
So I would not try to fix it with J B Weld That stuff does wonderful things.
It is not leaking yet but I have it half way apart and I like to play with my toys.
Has any one J B Weld or fixed a cover if so what happen ?

Thanks
Ridge

I bought a good cover off ebay when i cracked the top of my timing cover paid like 25 bucks. Some on might have one laying around here.

i've used the late cover with an early dampner, just add mopar timing tape and move the mark 90' :)

i've used the late cover with an early dampner, just add mopar timing tape and move the mark 90' :)

lower radiator hose will cover up the timing tab.....as it is on the driver side also..

JB Weld is Amazing stuff. I have used it to repair cracked side covers on some of my dirt bikes, I used it to repair a broken clutch cable once....holds up well in an oil soaked environment as well.

On a car I would probably replace/repair it though......sucks to be 30 miles from home and broke down.

Mop

I checked to see if they were available new ( the '70 & later version is ) , and no dice . It's too bad about the '69 & earlier cast-iron-water-pump-and-opposite-side-lower-hose-exit deal ...

Is this your daily driver ?

How about using All-Metal as a filler ?
I ,too , tried the J.B. Weld route on a timing cover , about 17 years ago . The driver's-side passage corroded-through , and at the time , I couldn't afford to replace it , so I sanded the surrounding area , dabbed some super glue around the hole ,placed a strip of cut soda can over the hole , let that setup , and then smoothed some Quik-Set J.B. Weld over the repair .
Next day , I sanded the 'Weld smooth and painted Chrysler Engine Blue right over it all .

The repair held-up until Labor Day 1994 ( 6 months ) ...

Driving north on CA 14 ( Antelope Valley Freeway ; the same one where the opening scenes from Duel were filmed ! ) at around 06:30 hours , 85 miles from home , and the repair gave-way .
Thankfully , the bastard blew right by the 'C' Street off-ramp ; and right there was a Pep-Boys .
Had to wait until 08:00 for them to open , or so I thought .
The store manager saw me and my friend outside smoking Marlboro Reds and b.s.'ing about Willow Springs Raceway ; so he let us in the store early in order to keep us going !
( Yes , I called Pep Boys' customer service the following day and gave this manager very high praises ! )

Well , that repair ( same process ) held-up until May 1995 . By that time I had enough coin to buy a replacement cover .

So , J.B. Weld worked for me ; but , I don't personally recommend it in cooling systems for the long-haul .

Is this your daily driver ?

Yes it is but I also have my bike.
I have one on the way thanks for the help and info

Thanks to 65 Dartman I have one on the way. He has quite the collection of them.
Thanks again Don
Thank you FABO for your site

Ridge

-
Back