Timing chain tensioner

-
now i could be wrong here but isnt the 3.9 v6 engine the same exact block on the front just minus 2 cylinders? wouldnt this work for our 360's? Cloyes Replacement Timing Chain Tensioners 9-5387

• Click to Enlarge Image

$37.97

Be the first to Review this product
Tensioner, Timing Chain, Silent Type Chain, Dodge, 3.9L, Each

• Check Application
  • This part is normally shipped directly from the manufacturer / Supplier.

Estimated Ship Date: Today Would you rather pick it up? Select Location

now i could be wrong here but isnt the 3.9 v6 engine the same exact block on the front just minus 2 cylinders? wouldnt this work for our 360's? Cloyes Replacement Timing Chain Tensioners 9-5387

• Click to Enlarge Image

$37.97

• Check Application

Yes it works.

However I have run engines with and without a tensioner. The engine I have now 410 stroker with 200 hit of NOS does not have one. I spent my money on a good chain, it is a Camdex..... Timing is rock solid.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...VGltaW5nIENoYWluICYgQ29tcG9uZW50&partid=23311

View attachment thumbnail.php.jpeg

It just seems like the links on the double roller would eat up the shoes after a while, the stock chain that gets used with the tensioner looks like it has a smoother surface on the back side. Not trying to set off a heated debate with this.
Expect 100's and 1,000's of miles in hard racing, and 100K to 300k in a street car. They are made to wear and will do so very slowly; nothing will fly off (unless it is inherently a defective part). One set of cheaper ones I have seen with small surface cracks in them after maybe 10 years.

They came stock on the 3.9 and a lot of the 5.2s as well. I've yet to see one on a 5.9, though I am pretty sure some of those got them too.

[URL="http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/clo-9-5387_w_ml.jpg"][/URL]

• Click to Enlarge Image

$37.97

[URL="http://www.summitracing.com/images/button-add-compare.gif"][/URL]

• Check Application

I'm certain they wear. That being said they are in a constant splash of oil and oil vapor which I'm also certain minimizes wear. I don't expect a performance engine to see more than a max of 50K miles in a specialty car. Where I am people can't easilly drive them daily all year round. If a car gets 5K a summer that's substantial. So for my customers I'd still rather have the cam and ignition timing not affected by the wear of the shoe and chain vs. the timing issues that come with just wearing the chain and having no shoe taking up the slack.
For $30, it's a no brainer for me.
Actually, the wear of the tensioner shoe is not a factor and does not effect general timing, because it is on the slack side of the chain; it is designed to take wear and the springing (or oil plunger on some designs) moves the tensioner shoe as it wears to compensate. As such, it only helps keep the cam load pulsations from moving the cam timing back and forth as much, which diminishes with any higher RPM's anyway, and also controls chain sling.

The guide side can help reduce cam timing advances if the tension side of th chain wants to sling out at all at high speeds; this is typically more of an issue with long chains on OHC engines.

Also, timing chain stretch is not solved with the use of a tensioner; the cam will retard with chain stretch the same with or without.

Also, timing chain stretch is not solved with the use of a tensioner; the cam will retard with chain stretch the same with or without.

Not sure I can agree 100% with that. The distance between the gears is static (cam and crank centerlines won't change). While the chain stretches along 100% of it's length, the stretch of the slack side is taken up by the tensioner. In effect the tensioner is lengthening the distance between the cam and crank sprocket and thus removing the extra length. So really what you're talking about is the amount of stretch that is occurring on the tension side of the chain only, which in effect will retard the cam and ignition timing. So what is resolved is the slack that would more readilly allow the cam to bounce between advanced and retarded during it's operation, and what's left is that small amount of stretch only on the tensioned side.
The effect of stretch is minimized with a tensioner but ultimately you are right - that amount of stretch that is not addressed by it will retard the cam, or provide it with room to bounce around anyway.

They came stock on the 3.9 and a lot of the 5.2s as well. I've yet to see one on a 5.9, though I am pretty sure some of those got them too.

The 3.9 and 5.2 were built in Mound road engine plant. The 3.9 was just a 5.2 with two cylinders chopped off....

the 5.9 was built in mexico. (At the end of production)

Hay Dave, I might be totally off base here......but doesn't it seem like since the tensioner is on the slack side that is could potentially advance the camshaft timing slightly as the chain stretches? Wouldn't the camshaft be pulled counter clockwise in the engine slightly as the chain stretches over time since the tensioner is pushing all the slack from the passenger side of the engine? Maybe I'm just a retard but that's how it seems to me.

Well we all know I'm a retard anyway.....

Not sure I can agree 100% with that. The distance between the gears is static (cam and crank centerlines won't change). While the chain stretches along 100% of it's length, the stretch of the slack side is taken up by the tensioner. In effect the tensioner is lengthening the distance between the cam and crank sprocket and thus removing the extra length. So really what you're talking about is the amount of stretch that is occurring on the tension side of the chain only, which in effect will retard the cam and ignition timing. So what is resolved is the slack that would more readilly allow the cam to bounce between advanced and retarded during it's operation, and what's left is that small amount of stretch only on the tensioned side.
The effect of stretch is minimized with a tensioner but ultimately you are right - that amount of stretch that is not addressed by it will retard the cam, or provide it with room to bounce around anyway.

The chain stretch will be uniform throughout; it does not make any sense that anything else will happen. The static cam timing is set by the length of chain on the tension side; the length of chain on the slack side is out of the picture for the static cam timing; that is why when you set cam timing you only rotate the crank in the proper direction, never backwards. Without or without the tensioner, as the chain stretches longer (or gears wear), the cam will fall further and further behind where it was when the chain and gears were new; i.e., the cam slowly retards in timing.

While the tensioner takes all the slack out of the chain at its pressure point, it only happens that way because the cam moves backwards relative to the crank (retards) to 'feed' the slack of the tension side to the slack side.

No personal evaluations are to be inferred from the above! LOL

-
Back