Timing cover seal

-

dartfreak75

Restore it, Dont part it!
Reaction score
Is the seal too deep on this? It looks deeper that it should be to me but if I don't put it in this far it just pops out under finger pressure. Should I buy a new seal and start over?

20201117_140844.jpg

20201117_140905.jpg

20201117_140838.jpg

I install them until they bottom out. Did you put some sealant around the outside of the metal part of the seal?

I install them until they bottom out. Did you put some sealant around the outside of the metal part of the seal?
Im wondering if the lip on the cover is worn out because it don't bottom out lol it will go all the way thru if I keep going. Yea I used permatex black rtv

Im wondering if the lip on the cover is worn out because it don't bottom out lol it will go all the way thru if I keep going. Yea I used permatex black rtv

There should be a lip on the front side. They normally install with the rear part of the metal part of the seal flush with the inside of the timing cover.

It isn't much of a lip if there's one there.....I place the front on a piece of 2x8 and install flush to the front.

If it has no lip tap it in from the front with a piece of wood to seat it flush. Depends on what year you got on installation procedure: front door for later and early came in the back door.

64573-ZZ1-09-23-14__ra_p.jpg

qNTHLPLSyQMf7HFA7yPti9AUvAqY6RaolwsO_8C9Y6vhV5MsBhgpkkvaZiAuLONXMX1D0xnexLJ6tq-Tkqa2eKf_7UJGPEXg.jpg

I've never seen a cover without a lip.

I have both styles i have a 68 one that installs from the rear. I have a spare post 70 I will look and see of it has a better lip. There is a small one that I guess it's just not enough to catch the seal the seal is just sliding over it. I will try the block of wood and see what it looks like

So I checked my other 2 and they are both the first style rtc-318a the one im using must have came off my 318 it was an 86 year model. But I did the block of wood trick and it worked its flush now and I put some more rtv in the crack I think it will be ok now

20201117_151214.jpg

20201117_151704.jpg

20201117_151713.jpg

Whats date on that bad boy, 85?
Apparently it came off my 318 which is a 86 I didn't even know there was a difference after 70 I have 3 of them I just picked the one in the best shape. I have a really nice earlier one but it don't have the timing tab on it. So I chose this one. Lol

remember to install the dampener with the cover a little loose, so it can center itself, before you tighten it down

Could there be a difference from magnum vs la? I've seen one before that installed from front but not sure what it came from. What's part # on TC?

Could there be a difference from magnum vs la? I've seen one before that installed from front but not sure what it came from. What's part # on TC?
Yes there is a difference im not sure if they are interchangeable or not.

i think the cover is different because of the serpentine stuff, and it probably has the same updated seal

remember to install the dampener with the cover a little loose, so it can center itself, before you tighten it down
I've mocked them up with a dampener temporarily installed to center the seal and timing cover bore on the crank, and drilled the timing cover and front of block for installing two pins to "permanently" match the location of the timing cover to the block, so if you have to remove the timing cover for service, you can easily put it back in the exact same position.

I have 2 .
Smile, you learn'd something today.

You can set them as deep as you want if you want to set the seal to avoid a groove on the dampener, say it has one...

Yeah, evidently I've not seen one that late a model.

-
Back