Timing is this possible?

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Run down i have a 440 with mallory dist, MSD box and coil. I got it all broke in new motor. Now! I made my marks on my balancer per the Math that Tony helped me with. All i did was set the inital and stab the dist when installed. So at 3000RPM timing light on #1 cyl my timing marks that were made line exactly! But....Ive never even moved the distributor to set total timing. Is it possible that its dead on from the start?

Possible, but not probable.

Sure it is possible...you are just too good....

Hook up the timing light..and move the distributor back in forth to see if the mark moves...

I static time engines, and find being with a couple degrees or better is typical. There are a couple tricks involved. When setting carefully turn crank to desired position, do not reverse, or there will be a bit of slop exposed from chain or timing gears. The other is to check rotor is return. Then rotate distributor to trigger point. For variable reluctance distributors it is at the trailing edge of tooth and pickup. Results may vary, depending on igniton.

The "original" procedure for setting Vdub Beatles was static timing. You brought the flywheel up to I don't remember where, and diddled with until the points just open. You do this with a light, ohmeter, or buzzer device. Mags same way.

Many older bikes were done this way, as well.

As Dave ("Kit") said, the reluctor is a little more "loose" depending on the ignition. But you certainly can get it within 5* with a little practice.

Actually with the number of guys on here having difficulty with a fire - up, it would behoove you to DO some practice. This might come in handy, some day, at the side of the road!!

I learned this way back in the '70's when stationed at NAS Miramar, had a part - time job at the hobby shop, along with my 69, later 70 RR. Guys were FOREVER getting an engine together and could NOT get it to fire.

Guessing that maybe my marks could be off or the mark on the balancer isnt exact on the pointer at 0. Ill go back and double check that tomorrow and see where i land.

static timing, old school, I like it. that is how my dad taught me how to time,with a volt meter. that was years ago. lol

Alright this morning i went out. Went back a few steps. Pulled the plug and wire and reconfirmed TDC. TDC is in fact right on my groove on the balancer. Installed a timing tape for my size balancer. The timing marks I made line right up with where they needed to be. Haven't ran it yet to double check but i sure will.

confirmed! Running after letting the car warm up to about 180* ish. Checked timing at 3k. Right on the money. Until I figure any different im going to assume its in time.

-
Back