timing issues

-

63dartman

Reaction score
I decided to start looking at some of reasons I had such a slow day at the track and Timing was first. I had been running about 6-10 BTD and moved it to 15 just to see how it responded. Well I put the light on it and it climbs to 35 and right about 3500-4000 rpm the timing jumps beyond my mopar timing tape. It goes to 60 i believe. It is very quick it does not ramp to that position it jumps like someone flipped a switch. I tried adjusting the reluctor gap with no change. Any ideas? I want to think it's the distributor but not sure how it could jump like that.

hi, you don't state which dist you have. so, if it's a mopar dist, the counter weights are in a slot with springs attached to them. I had same problem when I installed my mopar perf dist. I measured the length of the slots in both dist. the perf had 3/16 longer slots, versus my orig dist. I shortened them to same length as orig. end of problem. with a longer slot, the centrifical advance goes way up. the shorter slot prevents this. you can set total timing at crank and it will stay where you set it.

Once the centrifugal force is more than the return spring force it just goes. To do what you're expecting would require progressive coil spacing etc.. to the springs. Hope that make sense.

Yes, it does make sense redfish. I thought about it for awhile last night and decided I will put in a adjustable mechanical stop. Now how much advance would I ever need? I am not running the vacuum advance. I know most posts I've seen say 12-15 at idle and 35 at max.

With or without vacuum assist 35 before at all in.
Idle is personal preference versus cam etc.. between 6 and 12 before.

-
Back