Timing Light

-

Duster_71

Reaction score
OK, I 'm using my Dial Timing light, don't have the brand or model, to set my initial timing. Car seemed to want more so I got it to about 16* btdc on the dial. When I turn the dial back to 0 the light was hitting the mark at 10* btdc. Is my timing light way off or is something else going on. I've checked the marks and they are spot on with TDC. Any thoughts.

The dials can slip on the switch shaft. Some are anchored with a set screw instead of a D shaped shaft.

Exactly why I will not use a dial back light. The computerized 300 buck ones work good......but to heck with all that when the engine will dial it up for you.

Exactly why I will not use a dial back light. The computerized 300 buck ones work good......but to heck with all that when the engine will dial it up for you.

I diffuse ,on this... My dial back Mac, is absolutely proficient . with T.M.M.'s handiwork... No problem on my end(yes I have twice checked with non read back lights...It's why I was fiesty to keep it..)

I diffuse ,on this... My dial back Mac, is absolutely proficient . with T.M.M.'s handiwork... No problem on my end(yes I have twice checked with non read back lights...It's why I was fiesty to keep it..)

Well, you know me. Cheap cheap. lol

When was the last time you saw one of these? LMAO

Attachments

• TUNEUP KIT.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 164
  • TUNEUP KIT2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 164
I have a simple Innova digital advance light that works well. I see Wal Mart has them available for around $80. Innova #3568

OK, I 'm using my Dial Timing light, don't have the brand or model, to set my initial timing. Car seemed to want more so I got it to about 16* btdc on the dial. When I turn the dial back to 0 the light was hitting the mark at 10* btdc. Is my timing light way off or is something else going on. I've checked the marks and they are spot on with TDC. Any thoughts.

Well, I checked the make and model of the light and it's a Innova 3555. I've only has it about a year and I got it because it was of the dial sort. I worry now that if it that inaccurate how I'm going to get things set correct.

Turn the dial all the way down and use the engine as the dial and read the balancer. Search "hillbilly timing tape" Nuff said.

Turn the dial all the way down and use the engine as the dial and read the balancer. Search "hillbilly timing tape" Nuff said.

You can also use the hillbilly tape method to check the light itself. With the light adjusted so your hillbilly tape matches let's say, the 10* mark on the tape to zero on the balancer, the dial should read zero, 10, or10 ATC depending on which way you are going. Run it out to 20 and 40, and check them too.

You can also use the hillbilly tape method to check the light itself. With the light adjusted so your hillbilly tape matches let's say, the 10* mark on the tape to zero on the balancer, the dial should read zero, 10, or10 ATC depending on which way you are going. Run it out to 20 and 40, and check them too.

Exactly!

Well, you know me. Cheap cheap. lol

When was the last time you saw one of these? LMAO

2 weeks ago at a car show...I didn't ask a price, just took a pic :) LOL

Attachments

• P1020084.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 103
2 weeks ago at a car show...I didn't ask a price, just took a pic :) LOL

Awesome. And I will tell you what I really like about mine.....and probably that one as well. Mine says "MANUFACTURED IN THE USA" right on the paperwork for each individual piece.

-
Back