Timing Mark question

-

Valiantap6

Reaction score
I have a 318 fireball engine came out of a 1971 VG VIP valiant Australian assembled, but looking at engine the timing marks are on left hand side and moulded into timing cover so is there anyway I can change timing marks to righthand side , oh and why is mine on left side anyway:wack:

At one time the lower radiator hose for slant 6 and V8 were on opposite sides. Where the water pump has lower outlet on one side the timing scale needs to be on the other. So they finally changed the water pumps, radiators, etc.. so they're all on the same side. That moved the timing scale to the other side ( different timing cover casting ).
If everything else hooks up and works right for you the simplest solution is a timing tape on the balancer. This will let you put zero and pointer anywhere you want.

At one time the lower radiator hose for slant 6 and V8 were on opposite sides. Where the water pump has lower outlet on one side the timing scale needs to be on the other. So they finally changed the water pumps, radiators, etc.. so they're all on the same side. That moved the timing scale to the other side ( different timing cover casting ).
If everything else hooks up and works right for you the simplest solution is a timing tape on the balancer. This will let you put zero and pointer anywhere you want.

I believe whitepunkonnitro had one at one time with timing marks on the right side. However; I've been known to be wrong.

The timing marks on the small blocks in the 60's up to 69 were on the passenger side and used a cast iron water pump.

In 1970 they changed to the left side and the aluminum water pump with the lower radiator hose on the other side also.

The timing marks on the small blocks in the 60's up to 69 were on the passenger side and used a cast iron water pump.

In 1970 they changed to the left side and the aluminum water pump with the lower radiator hose on the other side also.

Right. And just to note, the balancer also changed to accommodate the timing marker on the opposite side. The early cast iron water pump was also shorter therefore to use it you'll need different pulley's

What I want to do is change timing cover to markings on lefthand side of car, I want aluminium water pump and not sure what to do about harmonic balancer but should be able to use just normal balancer shouldn't i , the one to suit the timing cover with marks on left hand side

Post some pictures, of the situation ,mate.. Would help....

What I want to do is change timing cover to markings on lefthand side of car, I want aluminium water pump and not sure what to do about harmonic balancer but should be able to use just normal balancer shouldn't i , the one to suit the timing cover with marks on left hand side

You COULD use your old balancer, simply take a piston stop and make a new mark. This would be a great time to scribe marks on the balancer, IE degree the balancer.

-
Back