timing tab ???

-

68gts340

Reaction score
I cant seem to find the timing tab on my 68 340, this is an early motor, built in aug of 67, the only thing i found looks like a homemade pointer, it is a piece of wire wrapped around one of the water pump bolts, i am sure there must be something better than this, anyone know where i can get the correct piece for this??? thanks again for all the help, this is a great site with the best people anywhere. Ron

All timing marks on small blocks are cast into the timing cover, the early engine had them on the pass. side and the later engines have them on the drivers side. If your talking about the dampner mark then it may be filled with dirt, one easy way to find it is to take the #1 spark plug out and bring the engine up to tdc firing as someone may have missed the distributor location, as you feel the pressure comming up on compression stroke move the crank by wrench until the piston is to the top of it's throw. You may have to use a flashlight or a piece of rubber hose thats small enough to fit in the plug hole to see when your at TDC. When you get to this piont you should see the timing mark on the dampner getting close to the 0 mark on the timing cover, if it isn't then the distributor is out of time or the intermediate shaft is out of sinc with the cam. If this is the case then you'll have to remove the dist. and move the intermediate shaft to the correct position, then reinstall the dist. and set the timing correctly. While you are doing this do not move the engine or the timing will be off again.

BJR Racing

My 1965 273 small block didn't have it in the cover. It had a bolt on tab that was on the passenger side of the motor. It is possible they have a timing cover off of an old 273 small block and that is why they had a wire timing mark pointer. Always make sure that the dampner you are using matches the side of the motor the timing marks were on. This can be done as BJR stated for checking top dead center of the motor on compression stroke.

He could also change the timing cover to the late model and swap the dampner also and then theres no more problems. The keys should be in the same position so its just a swap.

BJR Racing

there are no timing marks on the timing cover ,not on either side, the wire pointer seems to be close to the right spot ,but it is to far from the balancer to be accurate. it is so far away that you can be off 5 degees or more ,depending on the angle you are looking at it. the mark on the balancer seems to be ok.
to change it over to the drivers side what balancer do I need to find ? i found a timing cover in the trunk with a few other parts, its a blue cover ,so i assume its for a later model. the 68 340 's were red...thanks again

Ron

can I use the balancer off of any small block ? or what one do i need?

I would use the same balancer, but replace the cover with a 340 piece. Teh 340s all had the driver's side indicator timing cover. Someone swapped it. Are you POSITIVE it's a 340 in it? the side of the block, above the starter, will have the engien size cast into it. If it is, then I'd buy a timing cover from a junk yard..Any 318/340/360 from '69-75 will have the exact same, mid 70s-late 80s are a little different from what I've seen. remove the balancer, and the old cover, then reinstall the balancer hand tight. Use a piston stop. You can make one by ramming a bolt into the lower metal section of an old spark plug, or buy the $10 thing from summit. Bring the piston to TDC on the compression stroke. Then, rotate the engine backwards 90*. put in the pistons stop, then bring the engine forward to until it hits the stop (not hard, just 'til it touches). mark the balancer on the circumference with a line. keeping in mind which direction you turn from the line you just made...Turn the engine backwards until the pisont comes back up to the stop. Then mark the balancer again. the spot exactly between those 2 marks, is the TDC mark. remove the stop and the balancer, reinstall the new cover, and you should be all set. This should really be done with any new balancer and timig cover too..we do it for any circle track engine regardless of parts..You'd be amazed at how off some of the marks are, even when the balancer is new.

can I use the balancer off of any small block ? or what one do i need?[/QUOTE]

Ron, Only balancers from 318 and steel crank 340s will work as they are internally balanced and the 360s are externally balanced so they wont work.
But I would get a timing cover and balancer and replace both at the same time as I stated before and your hassels will be over.

BJR Racing

The only true way to find TDC is with a dial indicator and then there isn't any guessing, the stop method gets you close but not as accurate as with the indicator.

BJR Racing

BJR Racing said:
can I use the balancer off of any small block ? or what one do i need?

Ron, Only balancers from 318 and steel crank 340s will work as they are internally balanced and the 360s are externally balanced so they wont work.
But I would get a timing cover and balancer and replace both at the same time as I stated before and your hassels will be over.

BJR Racing[/QUOTE]

If he continues to use the drivers side water pump, it is VERY difficult to see the timing marks on the '70-up timing cover. Easiest thing to do would be to find another bolt on tab. Standard on '69 and down small blocks. If my extra wasn't 2000 miles away, I would give him mine.

But when he's changing the timing cover he can also change the water pump to the later style, they'er more common and the mark will be uncovered. He will have to remove this anyway.
The only other thing is to go to swap meets and see what he can find if he doesn't want to change.
IMO I would change to the later model as it will be around alot longer than the eariler stuff and easier to find. If you want to change I have plenty of them send me your address and you pay the shipping and I'll send you a dampner and cover.

BJR Racing

If you change the water pump to the newer style, Don't you have to change the radiator also, cause I think one of the hose connections (maybe both) are on the opposite sides of the tanks,this could get expensive.

I am having this problem right now on my 69,. My new aluminum rad won't work with my new Miloden old style water pump. So I'm searching for one that will.
I think the timming tab is the easiest way to go.

Dave C.

He will also need to change the radiator and possibly the alternator/PS/AC brackets.

BJR Racing said:
But when he's changing the timing cover he can also change the water pump to the later style, they'er more common and the mark will be uncovered. He will have to remove this anyway.
The only other thing is to go to swap meets and see what he can find if he doesn't want to change.
IMO I would change to the later model as it will be around alot longer than the eariler stuff and easier to find. If you want to change I have plenty of them send me your address and you pay the shipping and I'll send you a dampner and cover.

BJR Racing

I have dial indicators and degree wheels, I would pull a head if I was going that route, for the sake of accuracy. I will try locating a timing tab first . it I cant find one I will have to go the change all the parts over method, thanks for all you help guys, and yes it is a 340...numbers matching car.....

cool..they do exist....could you put up a photo of that mystery piece? that would help a lot in trying to find one, or I may even fab one up, I've had to do that before, but the right part is always best....thanks all of you guys ...great help here.....Ron

Search around the site, this has been discussed before as I had the same problem with my 69 GT. I bought mine from a guy in Wisconsin (Go Packers!!!) and it works great. Much easier than changing timing covers, dampners and radiators.

68 Barracuda .
Timing tab is off of the factory 318.( I do not currently know the casting year) and now on the 1969 340 with a smooth timing cover. Im at TDC on fire (no dial indicator). Rotor points to cyl. 1. I don't have specs on damper yet. Damper TDC mark is around the 12 o clock position, far from pointer scale. This issue looks like a tweener compared to all the reading ive done here.
Thoughts?

20201006_163933.jpg

20201006_164008.jpg

20201006_162723.jpg

20201006_164008.jpg

-
Back