Timing the 273

-

GJSZ51

Reaction score
I am ready to fire up the 273 in my 65 barracuda. I have spun it over and oil pressure came up quickly just off the starter. Hooked up my timing light to do a static set prior to start up.

The timing gauge on the block is behind the lower water hose! No way to see the timing mark on the balancer as it passes! I figure I will set it at 6 degrees BTC while not running and transfer index marks on passenger side of block and balancer.

Unless, of course, someone here can enlighten me with your procedure! Distributor, wires all set up correctly and using Pertronix unit with their coil.

Thanks, in advance

GS

Your plan is as good as any. The bolt on timing tabs can help depending on the year model of timing cover, water pump and balancer.... Get it to TDC compression and make a pointer you can see then mark your balancer.

timing tape may help,

of course you could get a different waterpump, but that is another issue

I thought about changing the water pump but, thought that would require changing the radiator. I had a difficult time finding this one and now believe it is not correct either. Lower hose is on driver side, upper is in the center. May end up changing the water pump and going with an aluminium radiator.

Don't want to leave a bad situation for a future owner...

I think the 65 timing spec is 10B, it may like a bit more. 6B is not enough.
Each plug up in the firing order is 90 degrees. So the timing light could be used on a different cylinder to get to a place for marks to be placed.

I thought about changing the water pump but, thought that would require changing the radiator. I had a difficult time finding this one and now believe it is not correct either. Lower hose is on driver side, upper is in the center. May end up changing the water pump and going with an aluminium radiator.

Don't want to leave a bad situation for a future owner...

You may want to consider asking these questions to yourself:

What side does the lower radiator hose need to be on to match the radiator that you plan to run?

Which water pump will have the outlet on that side to match?

Once you figure out which side you need the lower radiator outlet on, then get the proper vintage/year timing chain cover to match the water pump.

If you need to use a cast iron water pump, get a timing cover from a 64-69 273/318/340.

If you need to run the aluminum water pump, then get a timing chain cover from any 70 and later 318/340/360. Mancini Racing also carries repros of the later timing chain cover if needed...

Then once you get the front end of the engine put together, use the proper vibration damper for that engine and crank combination. If the timing marks do not line up, then find true TDC with a piston stop tool and then with the engine at TDC, put a mark on the balancer to match up with the TDC 0° mark on the timing chain cover and now that is accurate for your engine...

Then put the engine to 10° before TDC and then turn the distributor so the rotor is pointing to the #1 spark plug terminal on the distributor cap and then try to fire it up...

If it doesn't start, then try to advance or retard the timing a bump or two until it starts...

Once it's started, get it running around 2000 to 2500 RPM and set the total timing to 34° - 36° advanced and then let it warm up to full temp. After it's at full temp, then start the 45 minute cam break in.

Watch to make sure that your oil pressure is good, then check for leaks from the engine all the way around and underneath. Then make sure that it doesn't overheat by checking the temp gauge every few minutes until you are confident it's warmed up and won't overheat...

Once the cam break in is done, then turn the RPM down and try to set the idle, then tune the carb idle mixture screws with a tune up tach and vacuum gauge.

Then you have completed the first start...

Then comes a quick test drive.... :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

if you are not willing to juggle timing cover / water pump to move the timing tab, make your own.

Use a piston stop to establish TRUE TDC. After all the ones that exist may not be correct, either

If you build a simple pointer ---sheet metal, etc, all you need is one mark

Establish TDC with a piston stop, and make that mark accurately. Then you can either add the proper size timing tape, or just measure around the balancer....accurately...with a flexible tape, and do some math to figure "degrees per inch" and then mark the balancer out to say, 55--60 degrees

Here is a photo of a 1967 273. The timing tab is on the left upper quadrant of the balancer in this picture. It is nowhere near any radiator hose. So you have the wrong tab or timing cover, the wrong water pump, the wrong radiator, or some combination thereof.

Attachments

• IMG_2094.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 181
We had a similar problem with the newer water pump inlet on the passenger side blocking the view of the marks on the older timing cover. Plus the new damper had the TDC mark on the driver's side. We just made a new timing marker on the driver's side and added a timing tape. Here is a pix of the new tab before adding the tape.

Attachments

• DSCN1756.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 180
Pretty much as I figured. Now I am curious as to weather or not this is the original engine for the car. I will replace the timing cover and water pump. Yeah, radiator too.

How can I date the block?

Should have looked into this before I started. Motor was already out of the car...

The picture was a big help. Thanks, mvh.

-
Back