Tincup's 63 Dart w/5.7 Hemi

-
Would a steering mechanism like this from Wizard Fab help with making more room or relocating the steering saft enough to help ?

001_1jpglowrescropped-294x196.jpg

http://www.wizardsteerclear.com/

Just out of curiosity, why couldn't the mounts be swapped to the opposite sides, would that not keep the engine in it's stock location? There would have to be some cuttin' and weldin' but then again like you said, you could make your own, just a thought.

Playing on the computer and decided to design up my trans crossmember.

trans bracket.jpg

I have seen a conversion on a right hand driven car and the person that did it was able to do the same and mentioned that it actually worked out for him because he was able to have the space to keep the power steering and that the swap was a hole lot easier. I would first check to see if you could find out who the guy is and get info from his build.
By the way I like the Tranny crossmember but how would you attach it to the car.

I have seen a conversion on a right hand driven car and the person that did it was able to do the same and mentioned that it actually worked out for him because he was able to have the space to keep the power steering and that the swap was a hole lot easier. I would first check to see if you could find out who the guy is and get info from his build.
By the way I like the Tranny crossmember but how would you attach it to the car.

The box tubing is going to get welded to the origional crossmember (that's why it's notched out).

Well, what's goin' on? I'm jonesin' for more ****.

Well, what's goin' on? I'm jonesin' for more ****.
My driveshaft came in this week, so I have been working on the rear to set the pinion angle. Then I can go ahead and paint the rear and springs and install the sway bar.

Here is some **** for ya. Had a real productive weekend, got the pinion angle set and welded up the perches. Then I installed my Helwig swaybar, took a little moddin, it wasn't designed for a narrowed 9". Then pulled the rear, and splashed some paint on that, and I took apart one of the leaf springs and got that all sanded and painted. I'm shootin to have the rear end finished by next weekend.

100_1806.jpg

100_1803.jpg

What is this Ford 9 inch stuff????????????? You're killing me!!! Now that I got it out of my system, looking good. I dig the end links for the sway bar.

the end links are out of some thing more modern,,,dakota and durango uses them,,,im sure a ton of other factory sways bars do also

What is this Ford 9 inch stuff????????????? You're killing me!!! Now that I got it out of my system, looking good. I dig the end links for the sway bar.

the end links are out of some thing more modern,,,dakota and durango uses them,,,im sure a ton of other factory sways bars do also

Those are the stock endlinks that came with the Helwig bar, nothing fancy.

Uh, Ford 9 inch, just pulling your chain a bit. But, why the 9 inch? Woudn't a 8 3/4 do the same? I ask cause most people who build this kind of stuff go with a 9 inch and I can't seem to figure it out. So if you could, for my knowledge, tell me why. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just want someone to tell me the pro/cons, if you will, about using that rearend.

Uh, Ford 9 inch, just pulling your chain a bit. But, why the 9 inch? Woudn't a 8 3/4 do the same? I ask cause most people who build this kind of stuff go with a 9 inch and I can't seem to figure it out. So if you could, for my knowledge, tell me why. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I just want someone to tell me the pro/cons, if you will, about using that rearend.

I've always had the same question. Thanks

There are a number of reasons why I went with the 9" rear over the 8.75". First I didn't have anything to start with, so that meant searching for something. I looked around a little for a 8.75 without much luck, then when I made the decision to tub the car, meant a narrowed axle. So buy the time I found a used rear, had the housing narrowed, bought new axles, new gears, new brakes, I might as well just buy a complete custom made rear. Trying to find new 8.75 rears are not that comon, but 9" are everywhere, and I used to have a 73 Mustang Mach 1 so I know how to set up 9" rears ( I had swapped a Lincoln rear into the Mach). So the decision was pretty easy, I checked a number of places and ended up going with a Currie 9" narrowed, with 31 spline axles, Detroit True-Trac posi, 3:50 gears, and Wilwood 12" disc brakes.
The 9 is a little stronger than the 8.75, there are many more gear choices available, everybody sells parts for them, you can pick up complete centers ready to swap in. So, that's my story.

Thanks for letting everyone know about the *ord 9 inch. You do know that I just gotta yank your chain for a few days, or until you come back from the dark side, lol. What about the Moser fabbed 8.75 rearend? Looks nice, and IF I ever do another car, that is what I'm goona use, any thoughts?

Thanks for letting everyone know about the *ord 9 inch. You do know that I just gotta yank your chain for a few days, or until you come back from the dark side, lol. What about the Moser fabbed 8.75 rearend? Looks nice, and IF I ever do another car, that is what I'm goona use, any thoughts?
I'm sure it is a nice piece, the beauty of leaf spring cars is that you can put in just about anything ( I actually looked into a Dana, but I figured that was overkill) Hell even the 9 is stronger than I'll ever need, unless I slap on a Supercharger. 8)

Spent a lot of time this weekend getting the trans crossmember fabb'ed and installed, but it was worth it. Came out great and holds the engine and trans at the right angle to line up the drive shaft.

100_1807.jpg

looking good keep up the work:cheers:

I am just curious what do you think it would take to get 450hp out of a 5.7? I only ask because the 6.1 cost from 4k-6k and the 5.7 ranges 1k-3k
I just am tring to make 450-500 the most cost afective way.

thanks for any thoughts
SG

Looks good Tin, but took ya sooooo long?lol!

To get that much power out of a 5.7------ported heads, cam, headers, free flowing exhaust, and a computer tune for efi, carb is almost the same, just ditch the computer tune, look at xv motorsports.

Looks good Tin, but took ya sooooo long?lol!
That's OK, I just checked your build, and there is a whole lot of nothing going on there, I may be slow, but I'm catching up to you....LOL

-
Back